Have the tick, dispute settlement board sided with ford. Post here if you have it!

513SPEED

Established Member
Title sums it up.. had the tick, car in shop for 38 days with numerous problems - dispute settlement board decided that ford had to fix the tick, but not replace or buyback the vehicle. I am willing to wager they don't actually fix it. Here's a copy of my letter.

"Dear Mr. Schaible & Ford Motor Company,
At the Dispute Settlement Board Meeting on October 12, 2004, the Board reviewed the history and status of the case listed above involving the 2003 Ford Mustang, as reported in the statements and supporting documents submitted by the customer, the dealer, and Ford Motor Company.

After careful consideration of this information and the relevant state law, the Board determined that the fog lamp, steering, and seat belt concerns were resolved. In addition, based on a lack of compelling evidence the board could not confirm if the acceleration noise, window noise, stalls in neutral, stereo noise, CD, seat leather, drivetrain lash, or door panel noise concerns remain unresolved. The Board did find that the hydraulic lifter ticking noise concern remains unresolved, but Ford has not been given sufficient opportunity to repair this concern. The Board notied that this concern does not affect the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. Consequently, the request for a vehicle refund was denied. However, the Board requests that the vehicle be taken to the servicing dealership for further repair of the hydraulic lifter ticking noise."

I sent them the following letter (long, sorry)
Dear Dispute Settlement Board,

I have received your letter and am appalled at the blatant misrepresentation of facts and/or confusion of the facts. After speaking with Terra Taylor, I have found the only method of appeal to be the court system, and I cannot afford that route, because of financial status and time constraints. Maybe my letter will change your next case.

Please allow me to quote, and rebut.

“After careful consideration of this information and the relevant state law, the Board determined that the fog lamp, steering, and seat belt concerns were resolved”

A woman on the board asked about the seat belt, and I responded that it had been fixed once, but the problem has come back.

“In addition, based on a lack of compelling evidence the Board could not confirm if the acceleration noise, window noise, stalls in neutral, stereo noise, CD, seat leather, drive train lash, or door panel noise concerns remain unresolved.”

I have specifically stated every one of these concerns continue to be unresolved. The Acceleration noise and drive train lash are the same concern. When you decelerate (ex. approaching a red light) and attempt to accelerate (ex. Light changes to green) a loud clunking noise is emitted from the rear of the vehicle. Ford states that it is “normal” for “some” vehicles. The terms normal and some are contradictions in my opinion, as well as Mr. Webster’s.
When you roll down the drivers side window, it makes a screeching noise towards the top of the ascend/descend. While this concern does not affect use, value, or safety of the vehicle, Ohio lemon law mentions if the vehicle was repaired for 8 different concerns, it is a lemon. I did not bring the vehicle into service for this, as it is a relatively minor concern, and my main concern was more important.
My vehicle is extremely unsafe. My Mustang Cobra is equipped with vacuum-assisted power brakes (like most new vehicles). The problem is the car doesn’t produce enough vacuum at low engine speeds. If you’re driving on an exit ramp with the transmission in neutral the car will stall when you depress the brake pedal. When the car stalls you lose power steering AND power brakes. This is very unsafe, and the first time it happened I nearly went into a guard rail. Ford has released a “flash” to correct this.
The stereo noise and door panel noise are the same issue as well. When you turn on the stereo to 1/3 volume or more (still relatively quiet) the door panels squeak, and you can hear plastic parts vibrating together. This is typical of aging vehicles, or those with aftermarket sound systems, but I refuse to believe this is acceptable quality for a new, oem $35,000 vehicle. While we’re on the topic of the CD player, most of the time it works great, but when you attempt to eject a CD from slot 5 or slot 6 it sticks, and you’re required to use some small instrument to pull the disk out, usually scratching it.

“The board did find that the hydraulic lifter ticking noise concern remains unresolved, but Ford has not been given sufficient opportunity to repair this concern. The board noted that this concern does not affect the use, value, or safety of the vehicle.”

According to Ohio Lemon Law, Ford has three attempts to fix the problem. Granted, they never actually attempted to repair the problem – they just said they don’t know how to fix it, and a fix is coming. This is unacceptable in my opinion, which is my main motivation for the Board’s services. In addition, Ohio Lemon Law states the vehicle is a “lemon” Ford has the vehicle for more than 30 days. Ford had the vehicle for 38 days, and the majority of my concerns remain unresolved.
The board mentions that this concern does not affect value. I’m unsure how the board came to this conclusion because the concern clearly affects the value. If two 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra’s are identical, but one emits a ticking noise from the engine bay that one is worth less! Additionally, metal on metal ticking is never “ok” and “normal”. Please allow me to briefly describe the two possible scenarios.

Scenario 1: The ticking noise is emitted from unimportant metal (support arms, etc – not the actual valve surface, cam links, journals, etc).
At first the problem doesn’t show significant signs of wear on the engine. Whenever metal hits metal, it “erodes”. This erosion is called a metal “flashing”. Flashings can be microscopic, or quite significant in size. Regardless of the size, modern engines (especially the one found in my Mustang) operate on such small tolerances; one single grain of sand inside a cylinder wall could cause scoring, and eventually reduce compression to the point of inoperability. This would be classified as catastrophic engine failure – all from 1 grain of sand. My engine is emitting thousands of particles every time the engine is started. This could postpone the catastrophic engine failure until well after the warranty is expired, so just because it doesn’t affect performance today, doesn’t mean it won’t in a year.

Scenario 2: The ticking noise is emitted from important metal (valve guides, valves, rockers, pistons, cams, etc)
Catastrophic engine failure is imminent and minor repairs may fix the problem but not the damage taken in every part of the engine.
---

I’m torn because I’m unable to find the facts upon which the Board made its decision. I’m also upset because I was unable to make a quality presentation because I could not get the time off of work to present. Please consider my case when you make your next decision.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm upset that all of these heads are ticking and none of them are getting fixed. Please post here if your head is ticking with some way to get ahold of you. PM or Email me, or something! Thanks

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
i have the head tick, and it is loud and annoying... for dsaid dont worry about it the fix will be comming soon... well that was 6 months ago so what the hell is the deal?? i want it fixed NOW

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I just filed a case with the DSBV for the TICK and several other issues as well on my 04 Cobra, and they sided with Ford saying that the TICk is NORMAL. They are obviosuly biased an I am almost certain that they get some compensation from Ford for saving them money, although they say they are a third impartial party, which I think is complete BS. There is no fix for the TICk either way.

mj8

Established Member
I have the tick, FORD said they will let me know when there is a fix. I will not hold my breathe on this one.

Jpjr

Established Member
Tick: Class Action?!?!

Collective bargaining is the only way you guys will get any resolve on this. I would be willing to chip in money for all of us to hire 1 lawyer to review our situation. I actually do not have the tick... YET. I feel however that it would be in my best interest for there to be a valid fix for it before my warranty runs out.

04Venom

Established Member
Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems 513Speed. I live in Cincy and I am curious to know what dealership you took your car to. I bought an 04 Terminator from Beechmont Ford.

513SPEED

Established Member
I bought mine from montgomery ford, had it services at beechmont ford mainly and montgomery ford once.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
i've got the tick pretty bad and have 16000 miles on the car. hesitant to take it in for repair as so many others have had this done only to have the new head to the same thing. what the hell happens after the factory warranty is up....and it begins ticking again? sign me up for the class action. email me at [email protected]

0&SVT&3

TRYMY03
Established Member
the tick and the other problems

hey dude im the same way my car went in the shop today for the 3rd time with my drivers side head now it has oil on the spark plugs and it also has some on the passanger side too. if they dont fix it i need you to get in touch with me so maybe you can helpme get some stuff resolved with my cobra.my car has 18,500 miles on it.i also have alot of the problems you were mentioning in your letter.my cd player screws up,i had the clunking i got it fixed though,my speedometer sticks atg 40mph and then agsain at 56mph,it smokes now cause of the oil on the plugs,my tranny is leaking for the second time i got it fixed once.my front suspension squeaks when going over speed bumps and turning into places that have dips at entrances. please email me abiout these concerns and let me know what to do if ford doesnt fix my stuff at [email protected].p.s. the clunking is your differential bushings get them replaced i also got my cpu reprogrammed buy ford to take care of the stalling.

Matthew
2003 cobra build #1587 on 7/26/02

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I feel bad for everyone with issues. On the major issues (ie. the tick) you're going to have a tough battle as a bit of valve train noise is not uncommon. If Ford says it is "normal" you're dead in the water unless you're rich and fight them in court. Or a valid class action suit is filed against Ford. As far as the stall issue, there is a fix so your PCU should be reflashed. Best of luck! Maybe if you're this unhappy with your car you should sell it and buy something better built to begin with. After all, they're saying the issues for the most part don't affect the value of the car. That to me is a laugher. I sure as heck would never buy a car with issues you are describing. Best of luck in whatever you end up doing. It's a shame we've all had to "accept" the quirks in the '03/'04 Cobra because Ford did a poor job in their design (a compromise at best) and a worse job with warrantee repairs for customers who thought they were buying a "premium" vehicle (like me). JMO.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
It's a shame we've all had to "accept" the quirks in the '03/'04 Cobra because Ford did a poor job in their design (a compromise at best) and a worse job with warrantee repairs for customers who thought they were buying a "premium" vehicle (like me). JMO.

I was going to respond to this and I decided it just isn't worth it...not because of you Bob...but just because there are some other owners that just don't get it about this car and what assumptions were built into its design specifications.

rcrx66

Established Member
I wouldn't say exactly dead in the water. As you said, that's the whole point of a Class Action.
Also, let's not forget that Ford doesn't even know what the problem is. I think it's safe to say that there has to be a timeline drawn as to when this will be fixed and Ford clearly has not done that. Personally, Ford has tried to "pacify" me into thinking that a "fix" is on the way. We all know that's BS. I think it's safe to say that you don't have to be a mechanic to know, the ticking we're experiencing is not good, whether it's affecting your car know or later.
513SPEED
A Class Action is the only way to go, the more the better. For the price tag on these cars, we should not be at this point.

The funny thing is that Ford is experiencing the same issue with the almighty Ford GT (cylinder head defect). I think Ford and there engineers need to take some pride in their products and make it right for the consumer. If not they are certainly loosing many, many potential customers.

WS.6 Man

Established Member
I took Ford Motor Company to the Dispute Settlement Board 4 years ago. I won the case and receive a full refund fory '99 Mustang GT. I think what help me was that the car was in for warrenty work during the day of the case. I told the 4? abritrators (sp?)that the reason I purchased a brand new car was to avoid these problems. And the first time owning a new car I experiened these problems. And my family and I purchased 13 brand new Ford products with in 16 years! Never had any major problems.

Ford even tried to B.S. saying the car was only out for 21 days for warrenty repair, not over 30 days. I told the board members that even if it was 21 days my car is still sitting at the dealership with other problems from the past week, and I faxed them the dealer serice report prior to the case meeting.

Few days later I received a letter from the DSB that I won the case and Ford had to replace or buy back my car. I had my heart set on the Cobra, but as we all know there were no '00 Cobras, excluding the bada$$ Cobra R.

My point is if you really want a new Cobra or a refund try to have lawyer review your case. And this time let the Dispute Board know that the issues with your car such as the seat belt were not resolve and may not work to protect you or even save your life if you have an accident.

Also if new problems start keep a record of them.

Good Luck and I hope all the issues get repaired.

Jpjr

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
I was going to respond to this and I decided it just isn't worth it...not because of you Bob...but just because there are some other owners that just don't get it about this car and what assumptions were built into its design specifications.

I hope your not implying that any design assumptions such as those described above should be tolerated whatsoever for a car over $40k. And I sincerely hope you are not implying that because Ford wanted to build a performance value that this apparent lack of quality should be deemed acceptable.

If that wasn't your implication than I apologize. If it was, and this message is to everyone, we should all contribute to a class action suit IMO for the sake of American vehicles in general. THIS IS THE EXACT REASON WHY PEOPLE BUY RICE. You do not 'hit of miss' with cars in this price range. And if you 'miss', the warranty policy should be such that the buyer is satisfied with thier purchase as it should be guaranteed fit for its intended use.

Don't hold Ford or any US auto maker to a lower standard. Any of you that do are just encouraging that behavior, because the "Buy American" crowd is rapidly diminishing. When people experience crap like this, they no longer accept it as design weaknesses.. they buy rice. Its cut throat as it should be.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I have the tick, but my main concerns are the car being mildly modded, having the down time on the car (the winter is coming though), and even the thought of letting a dealership work on my car.

However, I would definately like to get the "tick" issue resolved, and help you out if I can. Here is my email.......

[email protected]

Steve

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have had mine in for multiple things. The back glass wasn't even sealed at the lower left corner from the factory, could poke a screwdriver between it and the body. The rear bar was binding due to the inadequate clamps, this all took over one week to fix. Then the trans failed, that took about 5 days. Well, the rearend still pops during transitional periods, I have the AC "clunk" from it hitting the bulkhead, and I think that it has always had a version of the tick.

"My vehicle is extremely unsafe. My Mustang Cobra is equipped with vacuum-assisted power brakes (like most new vehicles ). The problem is the car doesn’t produce enough vacuum at low engine speeds. If you’re driving on an exit ramp with the transmission in neutral the car will stall when you depress the brake pedal. When the car stalls you lose power steering AND power brakes. This is very unsafe, and the first time it happened I nearly went into a guard rail. Ford has released a “flash” to correct this."
There is a flash for this, and excuse my possible ignorance, but our cars have hydraboost brakes, which get the boost from using the power steering pump to aid in braking, and do not use vaccum, or a traditional vaccum booster on the firewall. The engine must be able to pull the additional load at idle, but there is no vaccum depletion in the classic sense that there would be if we had an old 5.0 style vaccum booster.

Not trying to be an ass, just wanted to throw that out there, they had a very dangerous problem with the stalling, and the type of braking system is a mute point in regards to that.

Users who are viewing this thread