Head cooling mod

gotjack

Established Member
So if not tracking the car just cruising around and pulls here and there should be good with no cooling mod? Sorry been out the game for a while I had a 04 cobra but sold it in 2011

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I understand. I try to make sure I'm not putting anyone else in harms way. Every time I've done it, it's around 3-5 A.M. out on the highway with no other vehicles in sight. I just want to be able to do that with as little risk of damaging the engine as possible.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I fully understand, been there done that too. Grew up street racing back in the late60’s early 70’s. Buried the Speedometer in pretty much everything I have owned over the years.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
So if not tracking the car just cruising around and pulls here and there should be good with no cooling mod? Sorry been out the game for a while I had a 04 cobra but sold it in 2011

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Lots of cars out there with lots of miles and no head cooling mod. I did mine when I had the engine on the floor, mostly because it was easy to do then and I would have regretted it if I hadn’t have done it.

gotjack

Established Member
Lots of cars out there with lots of miles and no head cooling mod. I did mine when I had the engine on the floor, mostly because it was easy to do then and I would have regretted it if I hadn’t have done it.

Ok cool. I had a 04 before and it not mistaken the 03s had more problem with the number 8 cylinder head if I’m not mistaken? I have a 03 now with 12k miles

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

robvas

Established Member
Ok cool. I had a 04 before and it not mistaken the 03s had more problem with the number 8 cylinder head if I’m not mistaken? I have a 03 now with 12k miles

Didn't a revised cylinder head not come out until 2005? And didn't a lot of people say the cooling mod would solve the ticking sound?

Bullitt1448

Established Member

Great score on an ‘03 with 12k miles!

I have heard that The ‘03’s had more issues with the head tick too I have not seen the data broken down anywhere though. The issue pretty much went away after they came out with the 9 thread spark plug heads. I believe that Robvas is correct, the revised heads came out on ‘05.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Sounds about right/ I just meant I heard the 03s had more or the tick issue then the 04 from what I heard in the past

I believe the head tick was more just an early 03 Cobra issue. If your car had the early "AG" heads they were prone to ticking. My 03 has the AG heads and I'm now at 80K miles with no head tick. Then I think they started using DA heads on the 03s, still only 4 threads for the spark plugs but no ticking issues. Then the late 03 Cobras like 10th Anniversarys and all 04 Cobras had DB heads with 9 threads and no tick. Then 05 saw the introduction of the DC heads.

gotjack

Established Member
I believe the head tick was more just an early 03 Cobra issue. If your car had the early "AG" heads they were prone to ticking. My 03 has the AG heads and I'm now at 80K miles with no head tick. Then I think they started using DA heads on the 03s, still only 4 threads for the spark plugs but no ticking issues. Then the late 03 Cobras like 10th Anniversarys and all 04 Cobras had DB heads with 9 threads and no tick. Then 05 saw the introduction of the DC heads.

Is there a way to find out which heads you have? Maybe build number?

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Or build date?

I actually started recording a video on my phone and stuck it down the side of the engine and just scanned back and forth, up and down the driver side cylinder head until I got the casting clearly pictured on video but you can also stick a mirror down there and try to find it that way as well. It might take you a minute to find the casting, it took me a few video attempts but I did get it finally.
Screenshot_20230904_224558_Gallery.jpeg

01yellercobra

Established Member
For the one wanting to bury the speedo you could always get a tune that adds fuel and pulls timing to those cylinders on long pulls. I've seen it done for standing mile cars. And don't do pull after pull after pull. Friend of mine did that when these cars first came out and he smoked his engine. He did 3 or 4 runs to 160 in a row. Let everything cool down.

For the heads, I think the casting number is towards the back of the head, above the exhaust ports. It's been a minute, but I think that's where I found mine.

Users who are viewing this thread