Head cooling mod

gotjack

Established Member
How important is the head cooling mod in your guys opinion? What’s the best one to buy? What’s the install take?
I have a 03 with a 2.3 whipple running 17.5 pounds. 100 lb id1050 injectors full exhaust. Jlt intake. Maf3600 . Kenne bell BAP Dynoed at 627 rear with 93 octane
Car has 12000 miles. Should I install the head cooling mod?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I had the MMR one, fit and finish sucked, bought the Cobra Engineering one and would do so again if I had the need

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I did it just for that extra brain comfort. I did the Evenflow unit. Not sure they're made anymore.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I’m guessing I can get from there web site? Best place to purchase? Is install rough? Motor comes out or just drop transmission to get to it?

Get it straight from Cobra Engineering, James is a great guy, helpfull and his prices are as good as it gets I think. He is a one man show I believe. I did mine with the engine out but easily doable with the trans out too. Hardest part of the install is getting the frost plug out of the head but even that isn’t difficult.

gotjack

Established Member
Get it straight from Cobra Engineering, James is a great guy, helpfull and his prices are as good as it gets I think. He is a one man show I believe. I did mine with the engine out but easily doable with the trans out too. Hardest part of the install is getting the frost plug out of the head but even that isn’t difficult.

Awesome thanks man.

gotjack

Established Member
Awesome thank you I did a google search last night and came across that.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

gotjack

Established Member

Doing some research and watching some videos I would have to do a drivers side egr delete?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think that depends on the model you get.

I'm one of the few that never did the cooling mod. I had DA heads in my 01 and never did the mod. My personal (unpopular I'm sure) opinion is that unless you're WOT every where or tracking the car the head cooling mod isn't totally needed. When I pulled that engine apart cylinders 7 and 8 were fine. Number 1 was a different story.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
I think that depends on the model you get.

I'm one of the few that never did the cooling mod. I had DA heads in my 01 and never did the mod. My personal (unpopular I'm sure) opinion is that unless you're WOT every where or tracking the car the head cooling mod isn't totally needed. When I pulled that engine apart cylinders 7 and 8 were fine. Number 1 was a different story.
What about doing extended high way pulls in 5th and 6th gear, topping out the speedometer. I've done this a few times without the head cooling mod and I believe the only issues it's maybe caused me so far is over spinning my alternator. Would you recommend a head cooling mod for 5th and 6th gear pulls?

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
What about doing extended high way pulls in 5th and 6th gear, topping out the speedometer. I've done this a few times without the head cooling mod and I believe the only issues it's maybe caused me so far is over spinning my alternator. Would you recommend a head cooling mod for 5th and 6th gear pulls?

I wouldn't recommend doing long 5th and 6th gear pulls. That's a lot of pressure on the engine. Best thing would be to pull the plugs after a pull and see how they look.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
safely and top out the speedometer are not generally words used in the same sentence on the street…
I understand. I try to make sure I'm not putting anyone else in harms way. Every time I've done it, it's around 3-5 A.M. out on the highway with no other vehicles in sight. I just want to be able to do that with as little risk of damaging the engine as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread