Head gaskets etc.

98BABCobra

Established Member
So I'm going to be replacing my head gaskets in the next couple of weeks. Ive decided im going to go ahead and pull the engine for this project. Im already planning to go ahead and order new oil pan, valve cover, and timing cover gasket sets too. The car has about 160, xxx mikes on it.

Is there anything else you guys would suggest I replace while I'm in there? Timing chains? Rear main seal? What do you guys recommend. Thanks in advance.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
Could I get new timing chains and use my old tensioners and guides?

I cannot recommend that. the tensioners and guides are what give people problems. with that mileage, I would replace them while you are in there.

I think this is the kit part number: M*6004*A464 timing kit and if I recall, goes for around $400. not cheap but in the long run it is.

just looked and that kit also has the gears in it and it says not for sn95's although there are people on here that will say there is no difference. the kit says it will not fit the sn95 and comp cams told me the same thing when I did mine. so you should be able to get the stuff minus the gears cheaper.

Last edited:

98BABCobra

Established Member
I saw that kit from FRPP. Anyone have a link to a kit that doesn't come with all the sprockets? I looked into buying the chains, guides, and tensioners separately and it ends up being more than the cost of the whole kit from FRPP. I just don't wanna pay for parts that I can't/ won't use (the sprockets)

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
if nothing else, maybe you could sell the parts you don't need and get some of the money back. have you contacted Tousley Ford on here to see what they would charge?

CJK440

Established Member
Could I get new timing chains and use my old tensioners and guides?

Probably the first items that wear are the plastic tensioner pads when the chains chew into them.

I'm sure you can buy the parts piecemeal but you might find you will pay more than the kit.

Martin6107

Established Member
1++ for Ford Racing Parts

I've used that Ford Racing kit on 2 different 96 DOHC rebuilds. The cam gears are made with integrated keys that will not fit the early style cams so you will have to reuse your old cam gears. Everything else fits. The kit comes with detailed instructions and all new bolts.

While you are in doing all this you may want to think about degreeing your cams too.

Martin6107

Established Member
What is needed to 'rebuild' IMRCs?

I've seen several IMRC threads that mention replacing bearings and o-rings on the ends of each shaft but have not found any specifics on the parts.

Maybe someone will chime in with details about replacement bearings and o-rings for the IMRC.

I suspect many of the problems with IMRCs getting 'stuck' open or closed could be attributed to bearing wear not to mention the opportunity for vacuum leaks if the o-rings are dried up or broken.

UPDATE: Another posting mentions a bearing number 688-2RS fitting the IMRC plates. I ordered a set of stainless steel bearings from VBX (S688-2RS). Still no luck finding a post on the procedure so I will make one.

Last edited:

98BABCobra

Established Member
I've used that Ford Racing kit on 2 different 96 DOHC rebuilds. The cam gears are made with integrated keys that will not fit the early style cams so you will have to reuse your old cam gears. Everything else fits. The kit comes with detailed instructions and all new bolts.

Do the other gears fit? The crank gear and the cam timing gears? If so, then the 4 cam gears for the secondary chains are the only thing in the kit that wouldn't be used. I don't feel so bad about that. I was thinking there would be more unused parts.

It says the kit also comes with the timing cover gaskets and seal. Is this correct?

Martin6107

Established Member
M-6400-A464 Parts List

Do the other gears fit? The crank gear and the cam timing gears? If so, then the 4 cam gears for the secondary chains are the only thing in the kit that wouldn't be used. I don't feel so bad about that. I was thinking there would be more unused parts.

It says the kit also comes with the timing cover gaskets and seal. Is this correct?

Here is a link to the parts list & install sheet ....this is an amazing kit ... get one

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6004-A464.pdf

98BABCobra

Established Member
Ya. That's the kit I'm planning to buy. I just want to make sure the 4 cam gears are the only parts that will not be used. I just don't want to waste money on parts I'm not going to use. If the 4 cam gears are the only parts I'm not using then I'm ok with that.

Side note I read through those instructions last night. Doesn't seem too difficult.

CJK440

Established Member
So I'm going to be replacing my head gaskets in the next couple of weeks. Ive decided im going to go ahead and pull the engine for this project. Im already planning to go ahead and order new oil pan, valve cover, and timing cover gasket sets too. The car has about 160, xxx mikes on it.

Is there anything else you guys would suggest I replace while I'm in there? Timing chains? Rear main seal? What do you guys recommend. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think that with 160k and you are already going thru the trouble of pulling the motor and stripping it down to a shortblock, I'd go the little bit extra and re-ring and bearing the bottom end while its apart.

Have the cylinders dingle ball honed to de-glaze the walls (doubtful it will need to be overbored unless there was component failure) and R&R the rings and bearings assuming the crank is OK.

98BABCobra

Established Member
CJK440, If I was able to, I would actially gp ahead and plan a full rebuild, however with my son being born in may and also attempting to buy a house this year I'm trying to keep the cost of this project/repair as low as possible, so I'm really only wanting to address the immediate issue at hand.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Users who are viewing this thread