Head Tick? FLAME ON!!

S04T

Established Member
Alright let me get this out of the way cause I know someone will tell me to search the topic before posting a question. I have already searched and it didnt give me any helpful information. I know CobraBob has a sound clip somewhere in the FAQ's page but I couldnt find it.
Now to my question. I have an 04 with 20k. Just bought the car about a month ago and after driving it for about 15 minutes last night I pulled back into the garage and head the dreaded tick from inside the drivers front fender. I put a stethoscope on both valve covers and the head bolts but they sounded the same on the drivers side and the passanger side. The car is bone stock and drives fine. Is there any way to check (dealership/mechanic) to make sure what this noise is before I blow a bunch of money on parts that should really go for the new heads? If anyone has the link to the sound clip that would be great and I appreciate any advice you guys might have.

FLAME ON! :burn:

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
i believe the head tick was an issue with the 2003 cobras only? what you are hearing while in car in the garage could be the belts that sound like a tick. do little research but i doubt you have anything to worry about.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
head tick comes from the valve guides getting to hot from lack of coolant, generally on the drivers side head and I think the rear pistons.. it can happen on all 03 and 04 Cobras, the only way to cure it permanently is the revised heads from Ford that were produced in 05.. (a bandaid is the "cooling mod" where you remove the rear freeze plug and route a cooling hose to the passenger side head)

another thing it could be.. injectors ticking, on my 2nd build 03, they are quite loud..

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
head tick comes from the valve guides getting to hot from lack of coolant, generally on the drivers side head and I think the rear pistons.. it can happen on all 03 and 04 Cobras, the only way to cure it permanently is the revised heads from Ford that were produced in 05.. (a bandaid is the "cooling mod" where you remove the rear freeze plug and route a cooling hose to the passenger side head)

another thing it could be.. injectors ticking, on my 2nd build 03, they are quite loud..

this....

I did the same thing pulling into the garage once and it scared teh crap out of me. I am willing to bet its the injectors.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
With it being on both sides it doesnt sound like the head tick. Plus when you hear it you know what it is lol, it's loud as hell.

bubblehead93

Established Member
Alright let me get this out of the way cause I know someone will tell me to search the topic before posting a question. I have already searched and it didnt give me any helpful information. I know CobraBob has a sound clip somewhere in the FAQ's page but I couldnt find it.
Now to my question. I have an 04 with 20k. Just bought the car about a month ago and after driving it for about 15 minutes last night I pulled back into the garage and head the dreaded tick from inside the drivers front fender. I put a stethoscope on both valve covers and the head bolts but they sounded the same on the drivers side and the passanger side. The car is bone stock and drives fine. Is there any way to check (dealership/mechanic) to make sure what this noise is before I blow a bunch of money on parts that should really go for the new heads? If anyone has the link to the sound clip that would be great and I appreciate any advice you guys might have.

FLAME ON! :burn:

head_tick_tsb.jpg

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
It could be injectors (mine are pretty damn loud). But my injectors are noisiest at start-up and generally fade out after driving for a few minutes and the car has warmed up. Get a sound clip if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread