Head Tick

frankin

Established Member
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to get a solid answer on this issue. Below is a post I made and the answer given. This disturbs me because many of our cars have cylinder heads made prior to 01/05. He is saying that the only heads that don't have problems are replacment heads built after 01/05. I don't understand why there is not a recall. I am already upset at the fact that I could have heads on this car that could suck a valve or even worse at any time, and if my warranty is finished I am screwed.

Please share your thoughts or knowledge on this subject.

Originally Posted by FireRed04Vert
Blue paint and build date seem to have nothing to do with the tick. We have found that even the earlier replacement heads will tick. So far, the only head that has proven a successful cure is the head released 01/05. It also has fully threaded spark plug holes.

By the way, no one can difinitively tell you what that blue stripe means. My wife's Aviator has them on it.

If new heads made 01/05 slove the problem then that means all heads before that have a problem. Is that what you are saying? And if so will Ford replace them with the most recent?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
frankin said:
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to get a solid answer on this issue. Below is a post I made and the answer given. This disturbs me because many of use have heads made prior to 01/05. He is saying that the only heads that don't have problems are replacment heads built on 01/05. I don't understand why there is not a recall. I am already pissed of at the fact that I could have heads on this care that could suck a valve or even worse at any time, and if my warante is finished I am f*cked, and many of you out there will also be.

Please share you thoughts or knowledge on this subject.

Originally Posted by FireRed04Vert
Blue paint and build date seem to have nothing to do with the tick. We have found that even the earlier replacement heads will tick. So far, the only head that has proven a successful cure is the head released 01/05. It also has fully threaded spark plug holes.

By the way, no one can difinitively tell you what that blue stripe means. My wife's Aviator has them on it.

If new heads made 01/05 slove the problem then that means all heads before that have a problem. Is that what you are saying? And if so will Ford replace them with the most recent?
No, that is not true. NOT all heads before 01/05 have a problem. There isn't a recall because the percentage of actually affected Cobras is small. My car was built in January of 2003 and the heads were never touched. I never had an issue when I had the car (504rwhp, 494rwtq and 16 lbs. of boost) and as far as I know, the new owner hasn't had any issue either. Not having fully threaded plug holes isn't a a reason for Ford to give you new heads. The bottom line is that if your car doesn't have an issue Ford isn't going to give you a free set of heads. Yeh, it might suck, but that's the way it is.

frankin

Established Member
Maybe I'm hearing piston slap before she warms up, and If only a small percentage were actually affected, then I wonder why so many people complain of the tick. To me a tick means a tolerance is off or something is not machined correctly or both. So we should accept the fact that just because you have a tick the head is not bad, and wait until the warranty is gone and have to pay for new heads or worst case a complete engine rebuild. I am going to contact FORD on this, but I don't think I will get a good answer. I was hoping someone from FORD would post here and spill the beans on the real story. You may be correct, but I still do not feel warm and fuzzy about a head that ticks, and the fact that they made new ones that don't.

Last edited:

jcobra

Established Member
frankin said:
Maybe I'm hearing piston slap before she warms up, and If only a small percentage were actually affected, then I wonder why so many people complain of the tick. To me a tick means a tolerence is off or something is not machined correctly or both. So we should accept the fact that just because you have a tick the head is not bad, and wait until the warante is gone and have to pay for new heads or worst case a complete engine rebuild. I am going to contact FORD on this, but I don't think I will get a good answer. I was hoping someone from FORD would post here and spill the beans on the real story. You may be correct, but I still do not feel warm and fuzzy about a head that ticks, and the fact that they made new ones that don't.

Let us know what ford tells you.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
Have it checked and be done with the worry. Some tick, most don't. There are alot of things under the hood that sound like a ticking head, most of which are imagined by people. The injectors are loud, there's a butt load of cams under there etc. etc. etc. I know of several early 03's with no problem and I've seen one with the tick and it ran like a beast. Just enjoy your car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One thing I did not point out is that of all the '03/'04 issues, the "tick" is probably at the top. So there is a bit of paranoia related to it. Any perceived ticking noise to often misdiagnosed by the owner as being a head issue. As RedfireSVT pointed out, there are a few mechanical (normal) noises that could be the source of the ticking sound. The most usual is common fuel injector noise. It is actually not as loud as the genuine tick sound. And unfortunately not all dealers diagnose it properly, so having a dealer look at your car will not guarantee that you have it or don't have it. More often than not someone experienced with the tick issue is the one to catch it. It would help, if you go to your dealer, to ask if they have diagnosed this particular issue in the past. I understand completely your concern. Just don't get paranoid. Best of luck with your car.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Like everyone else, I was paranoid about getting the tick. Then I watched and listened to the video of a confirmed tick and mine is nowhere near as loud from any angle. Gives me a bit more confidence. Current at 460 RWHP and multiple runs on an 1/8 mile strips a couple of times a month. Good to go for now and if they go, I guess I'll have to upgrade to aftermarket anyway (AFR?). Good luck to you.

frankin

Established Member
Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I am taking the car in for a regular checkup the day after the holiday. I was supposed to go today, but was up late working. I sent Ford an email just asking what modifications were done on the new 05 heads. No harm in asking. I also listened to the video, and agree the tick I hear is not near as loud as that. I just wonder why is goes away after warm up. I read somewhere that this is normal piston slap, until the dissimiliar metals heat up and tolerances normalize. The car runs fine and thats all that matters.

Thanks again

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
frankin said:
Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I am taking the car in for a regular checkup the day after the holiday. I was supposed to go today, but was up late working. I sent Ford an email just asking what modifications were done on the new 05 heads. No harm in asking. I also listened to the video, and agree the tick I hear is not near as loud as that. I just wonder why is goes away after warm up. I read somewhere that this is normal piston slap, until the dissimiliar metals heat up and tolerances normalize. The car runs fine and thats all that matters.

Thanks again

Piston slap is not an uncommon occurance and doesn't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things. There is actually a bulletin out about it for the 01 Cobras. Piston slap goes away when it's warm...the tick doesn't.

As a sidebar to the tick...I've been reading about it on the site for quite some time now. It seems to be that the cars that develop the tick are (1) modded with increased boost (2) the tick develops after a hard fairly sustained run. I believe this to be due to cooling issues and valve guide issues. These observations may not hold true for 100% of the cases, but I've read where a lot of times it's true.

Users who are viewing this thread