Headed to Gatlinburg Area

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Family has a log cabin in Sevierville, Tn so we are headed up in the morning for 5 days meeting up with the in-laws. Anyone have any suggestions on eateries or things to do? We got a few things planned already but not a whole lot. I know it's pretty close to Gatlinburg.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Anakesta for sure! The Island is great to. Dollywood should have some of their seasonal lighting which is incredibly awesome especially when the Xmas stuff starts going up November 4th.

Dollywood has the havest festival till the 30th.

Ober mountain now has downhill mountain biking. The ski lifts were converted this year to accommodate mountain bikes. U can rent a mountain bike as well.

The crime museum is pretty kool has some authentic stuff like Ted Bundy's VW bug.

The river rafting is really awesome to.

U can rent ATV's there. They are legal to ride on the road. They have Razors and Can-Ams.

Cherokee museum isnt that far away.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My dad and his brother live around there and Knoxville. Lots of good hiking, just watch out for bears and such.

The island has shopping, giant Ferris wheel etc.

I’ll send them a text about places to go (or avoid). If you want any specific ideas on hiking trails i can ask as well, I know there’s some short ones to waterfalls etc

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Island has cool little rides for little kids. Also a ropes course. I jumped off the three story edge at the end. Scared the shit out of me but I am a big puss on things like that. Aquarium was much better than I anticipated.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I'll cover eating places - if you don't eat anywhere else, eat at the The Peddler in Gatlinburg. It's not cheap, but my gosh is it good. The Alamo (Pigeon Forge) is excellent as well.

The Old Mill has an awesome breakfast. The Old Mill Pottery House is also very good. Local Goat and Blue Moose Burgers are good eating as well. Graze Burgers in downtown Sevierville are very good as well.

Don't feed the wildlife, if you see a bear DO NOT APPROACH.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
We just went in June and stayed in downtown Gatlinburg.

You definitely will have to make the drive to Clingmans Dome. Incredible views - Clingmans Dome - Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

You'll pass many great photo spots on the way up there but stopping at Newfound Gap is well worth the views - Newfound Gap - Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

We did the Grotto Falls hike, get there early as parking is limited. We had to park close to a mile away from the trailhead. I think we got there like 9 AM and people on the way out did say they saw bears earlier along the trail.

Grotto Falls - Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Make sure you do some moonshine tasting. A lot of the places charge you $5 for it but then you get coupons for $5 off merchandise in the store.

In Gatlinburg we ate at No Way Jose's, Smith & Sons and Mellow Mushroom. They were all fine, nothing amazing though.

We did go to Ole Red one night, they had a pretty talented up and comer named Todd Cameron singing. Looks like he's performing in Nashville in the coming weeks however it appears on the website they have other groups performing every day - Events Archive - Ole Red Gatlinburg

We didn't stop anywhere in Sieverville or Pigeon Forge so can't really comment on that but feel free to ask anything more about Gatlinburg.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
We just went in June and stayed in downtown Gatlinburg.

You definitely will have to make the drive to Clingmans Dome. Incredible views - Clingmans Dome - Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

You'll pass many great photo spots on the way up there but stopping at Newfound Gap is well worth the views - Newfound Gap - Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

We did the Grotto Falls hike, get there early as parking is limited. We had to park close to a mile away from the trailhead. I think we got there like 9 AM and people on the way out did say they saw bears earlier along the trail.

Grotto Falls - Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Make sure you do some moonshine tasting. A lot of the places charge you $5 for it but then you get coupons for $5 off merchandise in the store.

In Gatlinburg we ate at No Way Jose's, Smith & Sons and Mellow Mushroom. They were all fine, nothing amazing though.

We did go to Ole Red one night, they had a pretty talented up and comer named Todd Cameron singing. Looks like he's performing in Nashville in the coming weeks though.

We didn't stop anywhere in Sieverville or Pigeon Forge so can't really comment on that but feel free to ask anything more about Gatlinburg.

those hiking spots are all ones I know they go to fairly regularly. I want to say they've gone to Clingman's dome fairly often for sunrise pics (I think basically from the car/parking area, don't have to hike much for good views).

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
those hiking spots are all ones I know they go to fairly regularly. I want to say they've gone to Clingman's dome fairly often for sunrise pics (I think basically from the car/parking area, don't have to hike much for good views).
I could definitely have spent a couple weeks there just hitting up all the great hikes and waterfalls. As is we were only there Thursday-Sunday so we tried to get the "best" ones done.

I'd like to go back but given the realities of a 4 year old and currently pregnant wife, I think it will be quite a while. It's also nearly a 12 hour drive so can't just decide to go at random.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Family has a log cabin in Sevierville, Tn so we are headed up in the morning for 5 days meeting up with the in-laws. Anyone have any suggestions on eateries or things to do? We got a few things planned already but not a whole lot. I know it's pretty close to Gatlinburg.
Hwy 129, Tail of the Dragon! 311 turns in 13 miles. Cool biker bar at the bottom with the tree of pain, lol. Be careful of autumn leaves if you are two wheeling it.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Need to hit up Cooters place in pigeon forge. Also there is a really cool self tour in one of the mountains, you drive your car and can stop off at some old homesteads and some water falls. Really a beautiful place.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Need to hit up Cooters place in pigeon forge. Also there is a really cool self tour in one of the mountains, you drive your car and can stop off at some old homesteads and some water falls. Really a beautiful place.
Saw Cooters on the way in, lol.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well we did the Forbidden Caves tour which was good. The we ate at PaPa’s Seafood restaurant which was great. My father n law is about 70 and been a bike rider most of his life. He’s taking all these curves faster than he should. Now I don’t like NOT being in control when doing stupid shit. He had to pull over so wife could puke her brains out. She was not happy. LoL! Football tomorrow but think we are doing some shopping tomorrow. Really want to check out Smokey Mountain Knife tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpeg
    IMG_1957.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1955.jpeg
    IMG_1955.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    789.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1949.jpeg
    IMG_1949.jpeg