Headers and hi flow cats

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there one you think is loud enough? You have the setup I plan on going with except I plan on using the supersnake mufflers with oval tips.
I already had that set up on my blue Shelby, ARH 1-7/8 headers, OFR X pipe and the super snake axle back.

99VERT

Established Member
If it wasn’t for the dam bar on the driver side swapping mufflers would be even easier. I then would consider some Cora’s for the cruises with my friends and then swap to factory mufflers for the rest of the time.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
If it wasn’t for the dam bar on the driver side swapping mufflers would be even easier. I then would consider some Cora’s for the cruises with my friends and then swap to factory mufflers for the rest of the time.
From everything I have heard about the corsa sports they sound amazing with long tubes.

99VERT

Established Member
I had them with just an off-road X and they were loud but nasty sounding! I just don’t want the car that loud all the time.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I had them with just an off-road X and they were loud but nasty sounding! I just don’t want the car that loud all the time.
I had them also with just a OFR X pipe, I didn't really think they were that loud.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, Sports. Ive never heard the Extremes before,appears they are definitely louder,deeper than the Sports.
Do you have the Sports on your new car?
No I'm still running the stock mufflers. I'm thinking about doing the kooks axle back on this one.
Sweet. I can live with this.
Yeah they sound amazing in person.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I have the AR Headers with H-Pipe + Corsa Sports out back for about 3 years. Love the sound but lately on cold start there's a loud distinct rattle thru driver's side rear exhaust. I thought clamps then Corsa muffler but there's not much baffle inside a straight thru SS Corsa. No sound inside cockpit and it completely goes away within 2 minutes. I suspect the ARH Cats as that's where heat builds up instantly. I jacked it up for cold start but see nothing loose. it must be inside....Uugh!
My shop says ARH Cats have the most failures. He recommends Kooks but that sounds like quite expensive full pipe exchange! ARH is in my area. Since I'm in knee deep with ARH already I'm thinking of just grabbing two 2 new ARH Cats and just swapping them out. Not sure of the 2013 OBD allow for bypassing hogged out Cats to still pass emissions like earlier models. But I don't want the extra loudness & there's no HP to gain there anyway.
OP......Maybe some of the guys can give more feedback but if this is my issue ( 4/19 app't)
it might be worth considering when choosing headers with Hi-Flo Cats.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Every cat failure I've had was evidenced with a rattle. What I would do is get GESi catalytic converters welded in place of your existing cats. Vibrant Performance markets these. They're not cheap, but should last if you match the cat to your power level. That's what I will eventually do.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Kooks Green cats sound like they hold up, but these cars seem to blow out aftermarket cats easily.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I don't do anything like 1/2 mile or Texas mile runs. Too may back to back dyno pulls during various upgrades likely did mine in. But my modding days are over. AMR offered to give me a deal on a direct swap for new. They're in my area. I guess I can't complain about that.......price you pay to play. I imagine this can happen eventually with all "Headers & High Flow Cats".

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Went to AMR spent $450+300 labor for new Cats that rattled like crazy when shaken. I was advised 20-30 dyno pulls often in back to back sessions will kill cats. New sound is absolutely amazing ....quieter at cruise....deeper everywhere...I could not be happier!
This time AMR clamped the Cats on both sides for 30 min swap with their straight pipe if I did more dyno pulls. But as we've all said before "I am done".

RE: Corsa's........I did mod the look of my Corsa Sports after install. I thought they hung low. Corsa explained their cans are larger & drop lower for their SS chambers to eliminate highway drone. I used masking tape around the rear body lip & shot both rear panels with 2 coats flat black header paint. Matching the rear air dam they seemed to disappear under the car. Here's an on ground then rear standing view.

A buddy also had the AMR system on his big power '08. During clutch swap Cats were found to also be rattling. In that case they hogged them out. Way cheaper since they were down. After clutch break in a follow up dyno to see if that effected tune showed no need for tweaking & no power gain w/o cats.

Attachments

• Corsa 1.jpg
    Corsa 1.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Corsa 2.jpg
    Corsa 2.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread