Headers Worth The Money

shb5007

Established Member
Simple thread, simple question.

Are headers worth the money on a ported Eaton Cobra?

horspla2000

Established Member
$$

Can't answer your question for sure, but I'm in the same boat. I have some Mac LT's on the way and a Lethal O/R X. I have the mods in my sig and my plan now is to install the LT's and then add a 2.76 upper. I researched and people say you drop 1-2 #s of boost by adding LT's. Making more power w less boost is good, so I'd say its a good idea. I have already done the bolt ons and supporting mods, so now its time for the harder and a little more expensive mods. I can do all the work myself, so that hepls a lot. If you have to have a shop do it, its a different story. Best of luck :burnout:

ctgreddy

Established Member
^ same thing as above. from what i've gathered you'll pick up around 15-20hp on an eaton car, but almost 30 ft lbs. correct me if i'm wrong guys. then ofcourse if you have a ts and stock manifold you'll gain more but that's not the case for you or me. I'll be trying out the pacesetter ceramic's and x pipe, for under 600 shipped to my door with gaskets you cant beat it.

marshall_cobra

Established Member

Are headers worth the money on a ported Eaton Cobra?[/QUO

Its an expensive mod but i just made the decision to purchase headers.
Im currently waiting to install my posi ported blower,bassani headers, bassani x pipe, and all the supporting mods.. Cant wait to see the amount of hp i pick up.

cobra_mer

Established Member
The tuners I have talked to, both stated they have only seen power increase above 600hp. Lower than that they have actually seen decreases in hp/tq. This is not gospel but what they have experienced with the 03/04 cobra's they have put headers on and tuned. Take it with a grain of salt cause every car is different.

As far as boost yes when i went from stock mani's to BBK 1 5/8 LTs and BBK o/r X I dropped about 2 lbs of boost with my 2.9 whipple, so my tuner exchanged the stock 2.9Whipple 3.5" upper pulley to a 3.25" to bring the boost back up the 2 lbs I decreased.

Before headers o/r X I had 93 octane tune at 587hp around 20.5 to 21lbs of boost. After the headers o/r X and 100 octane tune I went to 688hp around 20.5 lbs of boost.

Hope this helps. Again take what I said the tuners I talked to stated with a grain of salt your car/setup might show different outcomes. :beer:

mach1033

Established Member
I cracked the 600 mark with 17lbs of boost and stock manifolds with a 2.3 whipple. Stock manifolds flow well for what it is. My vote is keep the stock manifolds until you decide to really move up in power.

ttk53

Established Member
headers 100% help they don't show a peek number that the internet likes to talk about the area under the curve is a big gain.

If they lose boost your moving more air, more air= more fuel= more power.

Cost is not high if you install them yourself.

Last edited:

shb5007

Established Member
I am still on the fence...

I don't really plan to ever go twin-screw (but who knows...right...).

Will they help get heat out of the engine bay?

Will they change the way the exhaust sounds?

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Worth it just for the sound factor alone... I have a catted-x with my LT which I think is holding back my power quite a lot.

My Pre-header #s were 598/573 on an iced down hero run to try and break 600.. New numbers below on a hot summer day not a bunch of cool down. Big power increase under the curve.. Wasn't just headers that got me there, since I also did my meth tune at the same time, but I'd say I probably picked up close to 50whp + 60 ftlbs with only those two modifications.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
the stock manifolds are very good, even with a TS. my car cracked over 700 with them. high flow cats as well. it makes 600ft lbs at the wheel by 2800rpms

MurderedMach

Established Member
Like Stated above. The more air your freeing up the better. Yes Stock Mani's will go far and you can make more boost with them, but when your making the same power on 17lbs and headers vs 19lbs and manifolds...I mean really?

I lost like 4lbs of boost when I tossed my Mani and stock H away, but car is faster...even with less boost.

ctgreddy

Established Member
now for all those people who just said they made 600+ whp with a ts, go put longtubes on. I bet you all pick up close to 50whp/tq with less boost.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
now for all those people who just said they made 600+ whp with a ts, go put longtubes on. I bet you all pick up close to 50whp/tq with less boost.

Actually I said 700+ lol

It's just not worth it to me for a street car that i prefer stealthy with the exhaust note. Leave your factory manifolds, work on your fuel system and I say get rid of your gasoline tune....and find the magic pill that is E85 :rockon:

mach1033

Established Member

I think that your a little off in your HP expectations. I don't know of any twin screw cobra that made 600hp at 17lbs of boost and then picked up anywhere close to 50hp with a header and x pipe swap. I hit 642 at 21lbs of boost and torco with long tubes. This was with a 2.3 whipple.

mdrc347

Established Member

Are headers worth the money on a ported Eaton Cobra?[/QUO

Its an expensive mod but i just made the decision to purchase headers.
Im currently waiting to install my posi ported blower,bassani headers, bassani x pipe, and all the supporting mods.. Cant wait to see the amount of hp i pick up.

I made 528/542 on 104 octane with this exact same setup. Pump gas numbers are only slighty less. I was happy.

mdrc347

Established Member

Are headers worth the money on a ported Eaton Cobra?

By the way, my car was dynoed with a ported eaton both before and after the headers were installed. It gained 19 hp and 28 ft lbs. So whoever said that it gained 20 hp and 30 ft lbs hit the nail right on the head. Keep in mind that it was 70 degrees when it was dynoed without headers and 80 plus when it was dynoed with headers, though. I lost only about 1-2psi of boost after installing them, and yes, the car still made more power. That's a win-win to me. But, is it worth the cost? That's up to you. I also like the sound, so for me it's worth it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread