Headlight bulb review silverstars not the best!

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Just wanted to let everyone know that I found what I was looking for in a headlight. I have been through 5 different sets now in my search (should have just went HID to begin with :(). Here is a quick review of the sets I tried:

First were the bulbs that came with the car when I bought it used. Sylvania something, no clue exactly what. They weren't yellow but also weren't bluish and could have been brighter.

My second set were some "8500k" ones from ebay, they had a color that matched the stock/lunar gauge green. Very interesting, but not what I was looking for.

My third set were Sylvania "cool blue" lights. Don't let the name fool you. They are not blue, at all. They are simply a slightly less bright version of the silverstars (and a waste of money at that). My "stock" ones that came with the car could have been cool blue sylvania, but I'm not sure.

My fourth set were silverstars that everyone rants and raves about. My opinion is that they are a waste of money, UNLESS you are strictly looking for light output. They are the brightest bulbs that I tried, but not SO much brighter that I was amazed at what I couldn't see before and now could. In fact the only way I even knew they were brighter was by looking into them or shining them at something close (like a wall). When driving with them, I wasn't impressed with the difference. But most of all, they were not blue, at all, just very bright white, and my search was to find a bluish bulb that looked HID.

My fifth set that I tried were some xenon bulbs from ebay. The link is just below here. I knew they would be nice and blue by the picture of the glass being a nice blue color. The final result of this bulb is a light that is plenty bright enough for me (almost as bright as silverstars), and a nice blue color. Not ridiculously blue like some ricers get, but a look that is much much closer to HID than any of the others I tried. I took pictures of the these vs the silverstars, and the difference is pretty crazy (to me). I have the pics on my phone but unfortunately my home computer with the phone software is out of commission. I'll post the pics as soon as I get it up. I was very surprised how white/stock the silverstars looked compared to these bulbs, and I was very impressed with the low price of them! I just ordered a set of 9145 bulbs for the fogs to match (looks silly now because the fogs are stock and the headlights are a nice HID blue).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...emQQcategoryZ42613QQitemZ7991487105QQtcZphoto is the link. If this link is a closed item, search user "prike2005"'s ebay store for 9007 xenon. He has a ton of them but lists them under different car names in order for people to find them in a search. He also has 9145 bulbs to fit our fog lights (I haven't tried them yet, they are ordered though), or you could risk running more wattage to the fogs and use 9005 bulbs with the cut tab. I didn't want to burn out my foglight circuitry as I have heard some people have.

How well any of these bulbs hold up I didn't get a chance to test, but at $8 a set, it shouldn't be too much concern.

Hopefully this quick review can help some people from going through the testing I did, and from spending any unnecessary money!

UPDATE: Here are the pics!

Silverstar:
silverstar.jpg

Xenon from ebay:
xenonlight.jpg

Last edited:

PDubs

Established Member
I can never seem to get decent fog light bulbs from ebay. The last ones I tried, shattered in the fog lamp and I had to have the assembly replaced.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
PDubs said:
I can never seem to get decent fog light bulbs from ebay. The last ones I tried, shattered in the fog lamp and I had to have the assembly replaced.
Ouch, I hope that isn't the case for me. Were they the 9145 "correct" size or were they the 9005? Is it possible that you accidentally touched the bulb on the one(s) that exploded? If so, that can cause them to explode. I suppose since it is ebay, someone could have already touched them before they came to you... :shrug: The guy I bought them from has a HUGE feedback rating that is good, and a big ebay store with tons of bulbs, so I'm kinda doubting that he doesn't take care not to touch before shipping, and I'll take care here also. We'll see :shrug:

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
03 svtvenom said:
I am like you though, I was not impressed with the silverstars at all.
Sounds like you are going more for "the look," just like I was. I think you will be impressed. PM me your results or post them here, I'm curious to get some confirmation. Either way for like $15 bucks shipped, what do you have to lose :thumbsup:

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
pj_rage said:
Sounds like you are going more for "the look," just like I was. I think you will be impressed. PM me your results or post them here, I'm curious to get some confirmation. Either way for like $15 bucks shipped, what do you have to lose :thumbsup:

Will do! :thumbsup:

SilverStallion

Attn To Detail
Established Member
Hey guys...nice find, and located in Canada too - bonus for me!

Are these bulbs still working? Did they have the HID look that you guys were after? I have a set of the "light blue" colour that you were referring to that arrived from another vendor today that I am returning...the EuroDezigns Brand bulbs are not the HID look, but rather the RICER look.

Also, they do not list 9007 for Mustang - is it an issue order 9007 for another vehicle - will they fit my 2000 GT?

Please let me know if you guys are still happy with them as I am about to order a set.

Thanks
~Darren

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
As far as I know, 9007 is 9007. I believe he simply lists vehicle names to attract people who might search "mustang" or "maxima" according to their car. Eurodezigns is thte company that made the "8500k" ebay specials I first tried. Sounds good, but the pictures are NOT the bulbs he sells and they are definitely not HID looking at all.

pvteye

Established Member
if you are going for a "kewl" look... tinted bulbs will do that.... but for actually seeing at night.... they are terrible. They "look" brighter because of the way the eye sees the blue spectrum.. (scatters more).... however you cannot see as well to drive with them. a lot of good accurate information here http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
pvteye said:
if you are going for a "kewl" look... tinted bulbs will do that.... but for actually seeing at night.... they are terrible. They "look" brighter because of the way the eye sees the blue spectrum.. (scatters more).... however you cannot see as well to drive with them. a lot of good accurate information here http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

I will post my findings and pics after I get the bulbs.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
These bulbs have not hindered me seeing at night at all. I can still see fine, and matter of fact, when I use high beams, they are AWESOME. Everything lights up with a great perfect whiteish blue light. I love these lights more and more every time I use them! :bowdown:

The bulbs take at least a week to ship. It isn't the fastest shipping around, but for the price and quality I'm not complaining. It isn't the guy's fault, it is the type of shipping used, I think. Maybe 7 business days? :shrug:

At any rate, I couldn't believe how yellow the silverstars looked next to these. And they are supposed to be sooo white, lol.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I received an e-mail already saying bulbs would be shipped within 24-48 hrs. Good customer service. I don't actually think they will ship before Monday but it's nice to get an e-mail so promptly.

pvteye

Established Member
put an actual light meter in front of the car with tinted bulbs and one with the silverstars or other clear bulb and see how much actual light is read.. you will be shocked.....

Users who are viewing this thread