Headlight restoration...best product, method, remedy?...

nccobra97

Established Member
The headlights on my '97 are pretty cloudy, and am not looking
to replace them at this time...
What's the BEST way to restore?
Thanks for all the help....

1997 SVT Cobra 'vert
Crystal White/black leather

oldmodman

Established Member
I like the fairly inexpensive 3M kit.

3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System : Amazon.com : Automotive

Use a plug in electric drill motor, not a rechargeable one (they get too hot and the battery dies before you get done)

And if you want the job to last a long time there are a bunch of products to put on the lens after you get it polished. From as simple as a coat of wax. To a coating like Cquartz OR OPTICOAT2.0. Or even doing what I do. I use Marine Spar Varnish cut 50% with Odorless mineral spirits and apply it with a folded blue paper lintless shop towel. So far the headlights I have finished still look like I just did them two years later.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
I've had to help a few friends restore the shine after the sanding steps because the drill just couldn't do it. If you have a rotary polisher already, just buy the sandpaper yourself and something like Meguiars M105 polish. If you don't have a polisher, I got one of these a couple years back for $29 with a coupon, great machine for the price: Sander/Polisher - 7 Speed Electric Sander & Polisher and then you have a new tool to use on your paint as well, after some learning and practice. :-D

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
Wet sand them. That's how we do it at work. We use sand paper, high speed buffer, and a cut and polish compound.

Users who are viewing this thread