Headlights cutting in and out

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Ok guys I need some help here. Two nights ago I went to turn my headlights on in my 2002 GT and they didn't come on, while everything else (brakes, speedo, turn signals, etc.) lit up just fine. It took me a few minutes of flicking my high beams on and off for my actual headlights to kick on. Got them on, thought I was good to go then halfway to my buddies house they cut off and I had to manually hold my high beams on until they turned back on again.

Last night was the same issue, only it took twice as long to get the actual headlights themselves to turn on. I would like to try and get it fixed this weekend but have no idea where to start so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I had this issue on my 2000 GT, I think it was the multi(?) switch causing the issue. I can't think of the actual name of it, let me google it right quick.

MG0h3

Established Member
That is usually the headlight switch.

Pop the switch out and take a look where the wires enter the plug; alot of times that area of the the switch/wires will be burnt.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Someone is parting out an 01 near me so i'm going to grab a multifunction switch for ten bucks tomorrow off him and see if that does the trick. If not any other ideas what it might be?

oldmodman

Established Member
It's is most likely the headlight switch.

Ford, in their infinite wisdom put a thermal relay in the assembly. And I have replaced switches in five different Ford products because of it.

Now I just automatically install a relay to handle all the high current that would normally be carried i9nto the switch. After relay, never any problems.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
When you say the headlight switch, do you mean the actual headlight knob? I have read a few people say that and a few say the multifunction (turn signal/high beam) switch. When I mess around with the multifunction enough they will eventually pop on. Messing with the headlight knob does nothing when attempting to turn them on.

Ford, in their infinite wisdom put a thermal relay in the assembly. And I have replaced switches in five different Ford products because of it.

Now I just automatically install a relay to handle all the high current that would normally be carried i9nto the switch. After relay, never any problems.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

This I've replaced a connector and a headlight switch on my Lincoln.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
When you say the headlight switch, do you mean the actual headlight knob? I have read a few people say that and a few say the multifunction (turn signal/high beam) switch. When I mess around with the multifunction enough they will eventually pop on. Messing with the headlight knob does nothing when attempting to turn them on.

Yep, the EXACT issue i had, same symptoms too. I replaced the multifunction switch and all was well.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Yep, the EXACT issue i had, same symptoms too. I replaced the multifunction switch and all was well.

Grabbed one off a part out this morning for ten bucks. Went to disassemble mine and after cleaning the connections everything seems to be working just fine again without having to throw the new one in. If mine malfunctions again i'll switch it out but for now I think the problem is solved. Screw paying 80 bucks for a brand new one lol

Users who are viewing this thread