Headlights peeling

blwn88cpe

Established Member
Hey guys, the headlights on my car are peeling/flaking on the sides near the fender and its been bugging the hell out of me. The car only has 10,000 miles, is garage kept, and in near mint condition. Has anyone been successful at wet sanding their lights? Anybody's not peel? Do you know if the stock replacements peel? thanks

cdurbin328

CDurbin328
Established Member
Hey guys, the headlights on my car are peeling/flaking on the sides near the fender and its been bugging the hell out of me. The car only has 10,000 miles, is garage kept, and in near mint condition. Has anyone been successful at wet sanding their lights? Anybody's not peel? Do you know if the stock replacements peel? thanks

I've got an 03 with 9100 miles and it did the same thing. It bugged me too and I actually had points deducted at a couple of car shows for it.
I tried to wet sand and re-clear mine and they looked great for about 3 months and then started to look like crap again. Maybe I didn't prep them right or something. Who knows. I ended up ordering some OEM Ford replacements and swapping them out. They are getting harder to find and weren't cheap. I paid something like $190 each for them. Worth it to me though.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I have wetsanded and recoated several sets of headlights with great success. Started with 400 grit and went all the way to 2500 grit, wet sanded for 5 minutes each grit on each lens in every direction. To coat them I used a 50/50 mix of clear polyurethane spar and odorless mineral spirits, brushed this on with a foam brush thinly to avoid any streaks, bubbles or blobs. Its a real easy solution to work with but if you mess up clean it up with the mineral spirits and start the coat over. Good luck!!!

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I had peeling on a previous car. Wet sanded down and polished with very fine sandpaper. Then applied normal car wax whenever the car was waxed and they always looked great. The car was always garaged though and only a sunday driver..

blwn88cpe

Established Member
I just did new oem. .they were just under 100 each..

autonation..site vendor..

I wish they were still under $100. They are about $180 each plus shipping now. I might just wet sand mine or buy some aftermarket ones from american muscle.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I wish they were still under $100. They are about $180 each plus shipping now. I might just wet sand mine or buy some aftermarket ones from american muscle.

Did you call autonatuon? It was recently I got them..191 for pair with shipping..got them in 3 days

blwn88cpe

Established Member
Did you call autonatuon? It was recently I got them..191 for pair with shipping..got them in 3 days

I sent them a PM in July and here is what they said:
These have gone up a bit in the last year or so . $378.10 plus shipping, and in stock.

Thanks
Mike R

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Mine at 4500 miles or so started having the black inside peel away from the lens. Unless I cooked them and pulled the lens apart they cannot be fixed. Kind of pissed about that. Bought a new set from AM about 4 or 5 years ago and put them in. I kept my factory set in case I could find someone close to fix them.

Trust me, I share your annoyance. I'm on my 3rd pair of headlights, except this one I purchased from LMR.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-13008I-K/01-04-Mustang-Factory-Tinted-Headlight-Kit

This time though, I put 2 coats of Chemical Guys JetSeal and I think these are going to last.

My last pair of Ford OEM headlights went down fast after the first 2 months of summer in '14.

Its amazing how Ford has gone bonkers with their pricing on these cheap quality headlights. Just Ford being crooks. Their outrageous price hike on headlights is not justified one bit. LMR has a very good alternative though. My passenger side one looks virtually identical to my Ford oem driver side one.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I remember when headlights were $5 and you could get them anywhere and they were actually made of glass!

OK, I'm showing my age now. LOL

blwn88cpe

Established Member
They fit pretty good to me. The damn black strip needed to be secured better in a few spots.

Users who are viewing this thread