heads and cam question

stubbs

Established Member
Hey Guys and Gals

I am going to get my motor built next week or so, and I was wondering should I go with a crower cams or comp cams, stage 2 or 3, and what kinds of heads should I get and where can I get them at? My truck will not be a DD anymore, and I do like to street race and go to the track, if I confused anyone im sorry but I havent really looked into built motors or anything.

buckleupkiddies

BOOSTON
Established Member
damn dude, your goin all out....ill be sure to not race you at the track anymore, haha. who is building your motor? and where did you find your money tree?

lata mike

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
slosvt said:
Hey Guys and Gals

I am going to get my motor built next week or so, and I was wondering should I go with a crower cams or comp cams, stage 2 or 3, and what kinds of heads should I get and where can I get them at? My truck will not be a DD anymore, and I do like to street race and go to the track, if I confused anyone im sorry but I havent really looked into built motors or anything.

Call Mark at LFP. He has it all.
http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/home.php

i8urchvy

Established Member
I would suggest Comp Stage III. I had Crower Stage II's first and they have too much lift IMO for the springs available. I daily driver with the stage III's. They are a bit rowdy with the idle turned down to 750 but not too noticable at 900, so you can tweak your settings to your liking. I also went with Patriot Stage III heads. I'm not the highest HP truck, but I made 530rwhp on a street tune with 15lbs of boost and 619rwhp on 100 octane race tune, need to turn up the boost soon.

stubbs

Established Member
buckleupkiddies said:
damn dude, your goin all out....ill be sure to not race you at the track anymore, haha. who is building your motor? and where did you find your money tree?

lata mike

You cant tell anyone its a secret.....Im serious, nobosy must know about but you and the guys from this site, ans be ready to make some money off me next year if come out more. :)

stubbs

Established Member
i8urchvy said:
I would suggest Comp Stage III. I had Crower Stage II's first and they have too much lift IMO for the springs available. I daily driver with the stage III's. They are a bit rowdy with the idle turned down to 750 but not too noticable at 900, so you can tweak your settings to your liking. I also went with Patriot Stage III heads. I'm not the highest HP truck, but I made 530rwhp on a street tune with 15lbs of boost and 619rwhp on 100 octane race tune, need to turn up the boost soon.

Where did you get your Patriots at

lightningonbags

Established Member
Patriot heads seem very reson. compared to some ive seen. Is is worth it to run them on a stock bottom end with some cams or would it not be advised? Im also curious to know what kind of power gains you would see with swap'n the heads?

Sorry slosvt I don't want to highjack your thread, I just didn't want to start a new one for a couple of ???

P.S My mods are steg ported eaton, accu T\B, 6 LB lower, c&l tube,honed upper plen, 90mm m\a, 12in k&n cone.

stubbs

Established Member
lightningonbags said:
Patriot heads seem very reson. compared to some ive seen. Is is worth it to run them on a stock bottom end with some cams or would it not be advised? Im also curious to know what kind of power gains you would see with swap'n the heads?

Sorry slosvt I don't want to highjack your thread, I just didn't want to start a new one for a couple of ???

P.S My mods are steg ported eaton, accu T\B, 6 LB lower, c&l tube,honed upper plen, 90mm m\a, 12in k&n cone.

Its cool no worries.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If you want to go through the trouble and or expense of swapping the heads then yes it will help a great deal. One of the guys on nloc did just a cam swap-went from stock to the comp 278 or stage III- and saw about 60-70 rwhp gain at the same level of boost. His screen name is danoid01 I think if you want to search for it.

I have read and been told that on a built motor aftermarket heads/cams are worth another 100 rwhp over using stock heads/cams. You will have to up the boost output after the swap due to the greater efficiency and flow but that is the ultimate goal anyways, more air in/out=more power. Hope this helps.

Also, VT or Fox Lake heads are touted to be the best-patriots numbers may be a bit optimistic-but they are also more expensive. For the money you can't beat the patriots IMHO.

Mark@LFP

Banned
lfp_heads.jpg

Give LFP a call. We have the heads and cams. Ported, polished, stainless valve, .600 springs, 5 angle, 5 axis, deeper plug serts, Titanium retainers etc...We can save you some money, guranteed.

Last edited:

blown9350lx

JazboSVT
Established Member
I have the JLP stage 3 cams (Comp Cams Custom Grind by JLP) excellent cam and the heads were done by JLP as well very happy with my setup and great customer service. I did 580@630 with 14 lbs of boost

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
Mark@LFP said:
lfp_heads.jpg

Give LFP a call. We have the heads and cams. Ported, polished, stainless valve, .600 springs, 5 angle, 5 axis, deeper plug serts, Titanium retainers etc...We can save you some money, guranteed.

Hey Mark - why is it I can't find these on your website with a price? Is my 'oldtimer's' disease playing games with me?

Bird

Whip Lash

01 lightning driver
Established Member
slosvt said:
Hey Guys and Gals

SHM Alum block stroked, Stage 3 no matter what brand

and don't forget twin turbo

Users who are viewing this thread