Heads & cams

Elnrownr

4.slow
Established Member
Has anyone gotten any word of possible upgrades in this department, or if Ford even left room for growth

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

myshelby3425

Established Member
Heads & cams

Nope too soon..

FP has gotten as far as making an oil catch can for the drivers side since the one off the GT fits the passenger side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elnrownr

4.slow
Established Member
I wouldn't think the cams would tamper with the balance of the rotating assembly

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
To get more out of it the powerband would have to be shifted higher anyway. I don't think the engine would like another 750-1000rpm in the rotating assembly. Plus it would really make it a dog under 3K more so than it is now

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
My fault. They open and close valves. Personally I would not change them on this engine. Ford had many hurtles to overcome in just creating the 5.2 fpc. I would not touch anything rotating. My opinion.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Squeezing more power out of this engine will be an uphill battle NA and very expensive for little gain. Ford gave you a highly tuned car right from the factory. I would not touch a thing on this engine (or even the rest of the car for that matter). Enjoy what you have. These new generation of engines are not engineered to cope with the power increases like the older mod motors where they can handle making close to 2X the power as delivered from the factory on mostly stock parts. Making a 1000 hp on a 5.4 GT500 or a 4.6 Terminator mill can be done relatively easy with more boost and are fairly cheap to rebuild. Not so with a Voodoo engine you'll be writing big checks should something go wrong. I have this feeling the new GT500 won't be much different. If you like to "tinker" get an older car. Ford sold you one that's already at 95%

F8L SN8K

Established Member
The factory intake is the biggest killer on this engine. The heads and cams and oil squirter deletes have potential of gains. I would say 630hp NA is achievable for the person wanting to build an example. I'll stay away from the word "streetable" as that has varying meanings for everyone.

From a toaster to an SR-71 Blackbird. Men will figure out a way to make it better.

Side note just as an FYI Ford Performance will be releasing a cross plan crank crank with the stock 5.2 voodoo's stroke. Not necessarily as a replacement/upgrade for the 5.2 but for the coyote and racers that have to build an engine according to a spec without having to offset grind a crank.

liter of cola

Established Member
when some designs a dual intake manifold setup for this engine to go with a lighter crankshaft, and racier cams. you will see 600-650hp N/A streetable. who's gonna do it though? c'mon borla induction or jdm, get on it this will be epic.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
when some designs a dual intake manifold setup for this engine to go with a lighter crankshaft, and racier cams. you will see 600-650hp N/A streetable. who's gonna do it though? c'mon borla induction or jdm, get on it this will be epic.

600-650 hp NA "streetable"

I kinda doubt it. That's a 25% increase which is huge in this motor. You will have to move the rav range to the mooooooooonnnnnn to get there. At low revs at that state of tune will have the engine stumbling until 5000 rpm LOL

Voltwings

Established Member
The hood also likely wont take a high rise manifold, which a dual intake setup would almost have to be.

The problem here is having your cake and eating it to... the beauty of this car is having such a broad power band to work with, but at the same time that's what makes things so difficult. Hp is gained through RPM, period, the HP formula tells us that: (Tq x rpm)/5252. Gaining even 100 rpm is easier than gaining 100 ft / lbs of torque. We basically have decided (maybe prematurely) at this point that more rpms really aren't feasible, so we basically just have to increase airflow with our given RPM range. Well hogging stuff out to flow tons of air tanks intake velocity at low rpms which hurts an already somewhat torque deficient engine down low. That brings us back to the dual intake manifold... kind of a sticky catch 22 we're left with here. I think 600 whp is doable, but its going to be interesting to see how it ends up happening.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
All this talk again about what the 5.2L can't do when no one has any experience with it... Everyone was also saying that the 5.2L can't take boost, but we have been pushing 11 psi for a while now making over 800 rwhp on E85. Now after releasing the kit and people seeing what the motor CAN do, we have probably 5 Whipples shipping out for the GT350 and they've only been available for about 3 weeks.

My opinion is that the stock heads are already pretty badass so I doubt Ford Performance does anything better, you most likely would have to send them out to get ported. If cams ever become available, I'll bet there will be a lot of power right there. Using a CJ intake or something with dual or ITB's would also help with peak power. This is all with the stock bottom end. If we can ever figure out the balance with these engines, adding new pistons to raise the compression would be the next move.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I have no doubts that a Ported CJ IM with the Monoblade and Rev auto's Intake would net a hefty result on a GT350.

I also don't see why another set of NSR cams couldn't be made to work with VCT just like on the coyote(It took people years to even believe that was possible) While there are a lot of internal differences this motor is undoubtedly based off of the initial coyote design. I couldn't imagine the heads/valve train changed much outside of durability cooperating with the RPM. Which let's face it, M6 Coyote guys (myself included) were rev'ing to the hard limiter on the coyote as it was which is pretty damn close to the GT350's limiter.

Full Exhaust, CJ, Cams, E85/FTW Purple. I have ZERO doubts 600 wheel NA is attainable & reliable without touching the bottom end and without losing torque in the 2-5k rpm range. What's most impressive about the GT350 is the torque it's producing with long tubes the FPC & the Bore certainly helped this, it's LS7 like which is where the NA coyote always lacked. Weather this car was made for straight line or not, when it's all said and done you better believe it'll damn capable of mid to low 10's NA if not better.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I have no doubts that a Ported CJ IM with the Monoblade and Rev auto's Intake would net a hefty result on a GT350.

I also don't see why another set of NSR cams couldn't be made to work with VCT just like on the coyote(It took people years to even believe that was possible) While there are a lot of internal differences this motor is undoubtedly based off of the initial coyote design. I couldn't imagine the heads/valve train changed much outside of durability cooperating with the RPM. Which let's face it, M6 Coyote guys (myself included) were rev'ing to the hard limiter on the coyote as it was which is pretty damn close to the GT350's limiter.

Full Exhaust, CJ, Cams, E85/FTW Purple. I have ZERO doubts 600 wheel NA is attainable & reliable without touching the bottom end and without losing torque in the 2-5k rpm range. What's most impressive about the GT350 is the torque it's producing with long tubes the FPC & the Bore certainly helped this, it's LS7 like which is where the NA coyote always lacked. Weather this car was made for straight line or not, when it's all said and done you better believe it'll damn capable of mid to low 10's NA if not better.

This guy had all that stuff sans the cams and made 526 hp

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1116344-Kooks-e85-AED

Getting this car into the low 10's will be a challenge as its more suited for road racing not drag racing. It's a bit "thin" on torque production.

Users who are viewing this thread