Heart of Education Award. My mother nominated.

slowcoupe

Established Member
I know you guys are really supportive when it comes to family stuff. My mother was recently nominated by her principal for a Heart of Education award here in Nevada. This is kind of long so if you want to skip and just vote feel free but this is just a small description of who my Mom is and why she deserves this award.

She has been teaching for 31 years and this is her first time being nominated. I feel like if anyone is deserving of this it is her or my father but she was nominated.

She and my father team teach at an at risk school here in Las Vegas . Nevada to start is ranked last in the nation for child development in schools. for where families in a lot of areas of town aren't well off to begin with and a lot of the parents cant help the children do homework because they aren't home because of work, don't speak English or just don't care enough to help.

My mom devotes her time before and after school to tutoring these students on her own time, helps with a program called Three Square which makes sure these families who are truly in need have meals on the table at night, and is also part of a zoom program where teachers give up 2 weeks of their summer vacation to teach a preset curriculum to hopefully bring up the scores of Nevada's students .

On her weekends she spends time grading papers, writing lesson plans, or out shopping for items on sale to put in their school store. Which may not seem like a lot to most but the time that she spends organizing her own store so students can actually afford to buy small items to give their families for Christmas is a big deal.

I'm sure most of you remember when we were kids these companies would come in and provide a school with items in a Christmas Store, however this came at a premium. A #1 DAD or MOM mug and a lucky rabbits foot would cost a kid $30. That's not something these kids have and my mom makes it a priority to gather items throughout the year that are actually good gifts to give to a sister or brother who normally gets nothing on the 25th. I have helped her out and volunteered working in the store and the excitement on the kids faces when they see what they can buy their family for $5-10 dollars is really something most take for granted. She isn't paid for her time doing all of this.

My mom has been eligible for retirement for a couple of years now but continues to go back because she truly is one of those teachers who cares. This is why I think she should win this award.

If you guys would take the time to do this it would be greatly appreciated. lets give this teacher something shes deserved for a long time coming.

Her name is Rhonda Lamboo and you can vote in the link below. Just register and vote for her. Only takes a couple minutes of your time.

Las Vegas Review-Journal | Heart of Education RJ People's

daustin

Established Member
Awesome! My wife is a finalist as well. We're looking forward to going to the Smith Center on May 7th. The amount of time, heart, and soul that teachers put into their job, a lot of which on their off time, along with personal money is astounding. Best of luck to your mom!

Last edited:

slowcoupe

Established Member
Well, best of luck to your wife as well. It's a shame they can't do this for more teachers. They really don't get the appreciation and recognition they dese eve for what they do.

I can't tell you how many hours/days my mother has spent helping kids because they just have no home structure.

She even went out driving at night sometime last November to look for a family with 4 kids because someone over heard the one of the children saying they got kicked out of their home and didn't know where they were going to sleep that night. She just wanted to make sure they had a warm place to stay and was actually going to put them into a hotel.

What school does your wife each at?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Registered and voted.

Good Luck:beer:

tvspower

Established Member
Congrats to your Mom and Dad and all the teachers... Love seeing threads like this where mom/dads are helping the needy in any and all ways.. Being from Canada I cannot vote.. You show how proud you are of your parents and the love they have for everybody... A lot of regular people help in my community and we are so proud of them all.. Please thank your parents for us from Canada. GL

Last edited:

slowcoupe

Established Member
Thank you all who have voted! You guys are awesome. My family means alot to me and I am very proud of my entire family. I'm glad that this opportunity has arisen for teachers to be recognized outside of their personal circles.

Whoever wins is well deserving but I will do what I can to help make it my mom as I know personally what she has done as a teacher to help the community and she truly loves teaching and her students. She has students my age that still come back to visit her.

slowcoupe

Established Member
Congrats to your Mom and Dad and all the teachers... Love seeing threads like this where mom/dads are helping the needy in any and all ways.. Being from Canada I cannot vote.. You show how proud you are of your parents and the love they have for everybody... A lot of regular people help in my community and we are so proud of them all.. Please thank your parents for us from Canada. GL

I too am from Canada. Saskatoon specifically. My father was born and raised in Kelowna and we lived up there for the first few years of my life until my grandfather( who is a retired techer) got my mom a job interview to teach back here in Vegas. My mom was born and raised here in Vegas and went to school up in Boise, ID and that's when her and my father met.

tvspower

Established Member
Nice story on how they met.... Makes my heart warm up when reading threads like this... Again GL

slowcoupe

Established Member
Today is the last day to vote. If you guys could spread the word that would be great!! Ill keep you guys updated on the final results.

daustin

Established Member
Well, best of luck to your wife as well. It's a shame they can't do this for more teachers. They really don't get the appreciation and recognition they dese eve for what they do.

I can't tell you how many hours/days my mother has spent helping kids because they just have no home structure.

She even went out driving at night sometime last November to look for a family with 4 kids because someone over heard the one of the children saying they got kicked out of their home and didn't know where they were going to sleep that night. She just wanted to make sure they had a warm place to stay and was actually going to put them into a hotel.

What school does your wife each at?

Damn, just saw this now. Thanks! My wife teaches at Chaparral HS.

Users who are viewing this thread