Heat soak?

Van@RevanRacing

THANK YOU soo much Van. My friend is going to look at it for me tomorrow. I'm not too educated with cooling systems on these cars. The odd thing is I didn't beat on the car at all when this happen. My first race last night it was already heat soaked???? That's what made me kinda sketchy about the whole situation. I'm going to show my friend this tomorrow and see if he can do that for me. I really do appreciate your help man. Thanks a ton. Hopefully it'll be cured soon.

Make sure your cold fluid level in the heat exchanger is good. Then when you do the intercooler by pass put the cap on top and let the air cycle out. I think you could have an air pocket in the intercooler as well and you need to get it out.

Call me if you need to.

Van
561-445-7702

M1A....

Established Member
I was having the same loss of power symptoms as you, and I blew fluid out of the top of my tank. My intercooler pump was dead! Open your coolant tank and see if the fluid is moving. If it's not when the car is warm, your pump is dead. Replace Pump-Restore Power.

I replaced mine with a Meziere WP366. The stock pump flows 4 gallons per minute. The new Meziere flows 55 gallons per minute. She stays a lot cooler now! Got mine here: Lethal Performance 07-10 GT500 Intercooler Pump Upgrade Kit [LP-GT500ICPU] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The problem with that pump, as some have said, is that it flows too fast for the heat to be removed from the fluid...that's why most don't run it but instead run a heat exchanger with dual fans. A bigger pump isn't always better.

Last edited:

M1A....

Established Member
The problem with that pump, as some have said, is that it flows too fast for the heat to be removed from the fluid...that's why most don't run it but instead run a heat exchanger with dual fans. A bigger pump isn't always better.

I heard that also, but didn't believe it. It doesn't quite make sense to me. I also figured since Ford runs that same pump on their Super Cobra Jet it would be fine. Seems that Ford is right. It dropped my ait2 temps 60 degrees!
I'm in South Florida and it's summer time. In fact a record high summer. This is a scenario with my stock pump: Ambient Air-92. AIT1-95. AIT2-185.
And this is with the new pump: Ambient Air-92. AIT1-95. AIT2-125.

My AIT2's went as high as 225 when the pump shut down. Another indicator that the pump was shot.

All I can say is that the new pump works!!!

Oh, and a shameless plug for Lethal Performance and Jake and the guys at Power By The Hour in Boynton Beach.

M1A....

Established Member

I heard that also, but didn't believe it. It doesn't quite make sense to me. I also figured since Ford runs that same pump on their Super Cobra Jet it would be fine. Seems that Ford is right. It dropped my ait2 temps 60 degrees!
I'm in South Florida and it's summer time. In fact a record high summer. This is a scenario with my stock pump after the car is up to temperature and cruising down the highway at 70 MPH: Ambient Air-92. AIT1-95. AIT2-185.

My AIT2's went as high as 225 when the pump shut down. Another indicator that the pump was shot.

Oh, and a shameless plug for Lethal Performance and Jake and the guys at Power By The Hour in Boynton Beach.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I'm in South Florida and it's summer time. In fact a record high summer. This is a scenario with my stock pump after the car is up to temperature and cruising down the highway at 70 MPH: Ambient Air-92. AIT1-95. AIT2-185.

You could have dropped your temps with the Revan heat exchanger that much. My IAT1 will be in the 90s and IAT2 will be in the 120s.
I wonder if I add the pump if it will make mine go down to into the 60s. ;-)

M1A....

Established Member
You could have dropped your temps with the Revan heat exchanger that much. My IAT1 will be in the 90s and IAT2 will be in the 120s.
I wonder if I add the pump if it will make mine go down to into the 60s. ;-)

That would have been cool if my H/E had failed. It didn't. The pump failed. That's why I went with the pump. I've got an Afco H/E without the fans.
I'd like to hear back from you if you do put a pump on your car to see if the temps drop any further. :) I cant wait till winter when the ambient temps will be in the 60's and 70's!!!!

Van@RevanRacing

That would have been cool if my H/E had failed. It didn't. The pump failed. That's why I went with the pump. I've got an Afco H/E without the fans.
I'd like to hear back from you if you do put a pump on your car to see if the temps drop any further. :) I cant wait till winter when the ambient temps will be in the 60's and 70's!!!!

It is possible to move the water too fast. The water has to be in the intercooler long enough to act as a cooling medium and absorb the heat through the intercooler. You are moving the water 10 times faster than stock. With a stock pump you move the equivalent of a 5 gallon bucket of water +/-. With this pump you are moving the equivalent of a 55 gallon drum of water. Think about the pressure build up from a thermostat. The tstat causes back pressure in the cooling system to a degree which aids the cooling system in keeping the engine cooling fluid in the radiator longer and the motor longer to extract heat. It has to stay in there for a certain amount of time for the heat to be absorb. This is why Ford designed the water pump fluid volume on GT500's, Cobra's, Lightning's and Ford GT's to flow and perform at a certain rate so maximum heat can be absorbed and then exchanged.

The true test would be to see what your IAT2's are with your current pump and then swapping for the OEM pump or putting a potentiometer in line and slowing the pump down to OEM speed and measuring IAT2; both test cases in a data logged format at WOT in 3rd gear, 4th gear pulling to 6,000 RPM. Also taking into account IAT1, ECT, SPARK etc. So all things are equal or comparable during the test.

I've done a few tests on GT500 cooling. Always up for another test.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
During the summer months I drain the tanks and fill with Tap water and a bottle of water wetter.

Plain water runs cooler than the antifreeze. the water wetter helps control corrosion and helps the water cool faster.

If you have any mods like a larger SC or Pulley then you should upgrade your HE. One with fans will aide at speed as well as at a dead stop. The fan can also help with more air across the Radiator.

As you add more power you also need to do mods to help cooling. Creating more power also creates more heat. Heat is the engine killer!

M1A....

Established Member
It is possible to move the water too fast. The water has to be in the intercooler long enough to act as a cooling medium and absorb the heat through the intercooler. You are moving the water 10 times faster than stock. With a stock pump you move the equivalent of a 5 gallon bucket of water +/-. With this pump you are moving the equivalent of a 55 gallon drum of water. Think about the pressure build up from a thermostat. The tstat causes back pressure in the cooling system to a degree which aids the cooling system in keeping the engine cooling fluid in the radiator longer and the motor longer to extract heat. It has to stay in there for a certain amount of time for the heat to be absorb. This is why Ford designed the water pump fluid volume on GT500's, Cobra's, Lightning's and Ford GT's to flow and perform at a certain rate so maximum heat can be absorbed and then exchanged.

I get it. It's a "heat exchanger." Seems to me that Ford designed the system to run hot. I don't know why. Doesn't make any sense to me. But any of us in the hotter climates would benefit from some type of cooling assistance. Whether it be a larger reservior, larger heat exchanger, or whatever it takes to help keep the car cool.

The true test would be to see what your IAT2's are with your current pump and then swapping for the OEM pump or putting a potentiometer in line and slowing the pump down to OEM speed and measuring IAT2; both test cases in a data logged format at WOT in 3rd gear, 4th gear pulling to 6,000 RPM. Also taking into account IAT1, ECT, SPARK etc. So all things are equal or comparable during the test.

I've done a few tests on GT500 cooling. Always up for another test.

That would be cool to do as an exercise. But I already have all the results I need. My IAT2 temps are 60-70 degrees cooler with the new pump than with the stock pump. Same time of year. Same outside temps. Same mods. Same car. The only difference is the new pump.
:beer:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The heat exchanger could also be removing less heat with each pass but since the fluid is moving so fast with the new pump, it has a bigger impact due to how often the fluid now passes through the heat exchanger as compared to the factory pump. If someone wants to give me a free pump, I'll try it out :)

Van@RevanRacing

The heat exchanger could also be removing less heat with each pass but since the fluid is moving so fast with the new pump, it has a bigger impact due to how often the fluid now passes through the heat exchanger as compared to the factory pump. If someone wants to give me a free pump, I'll try it out :)

Good point. The engineers at Ford did design the system the way they did for a certain reason and purpose. Interesting discussion.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
The larger pump would be great for the track for someone that uses ice. It would help get the cold ice water in the i/c faster as the car goes down the track. With the stock pump by the time you reach the eighth mile the water in the i/c is going to be hot and by the time you cross the traps the water has barley moved out the i/c. With a larger stronger pump the water should be pushed through quicker getting the cold water in the i/c to help cool temps. Also a larger h/e and larger reservoir would help out because they hold more ice cold fluid for drag racers if they ice. So larger pump and volume with ice should = a colder intake charge for a longer length of time going down the 1/4 mile.

Stock pump=4 to 5gpm
After market pump claims 55gpm
So for a car that runs in the 10 second zone with the stock pump it will only move around 3 qts of fluid from start to finish. With the aftermarket pump it should move around 9 gallons from start to finish.

I have used the meziere pump on my 04 cobra with a 5 gallon tank in the trunk and it did not flow 55gpm. It fluid maybe 10 to 15 gpm. I'm sure the length the fluid had to travel played a part(tank was in my trunk) but I would guess the pump should flow atleast 20gpm for the stock i/c system. That would = a little more then 3 gallons per 10 seconds.

Would you rather have 3 gallons per 1/4 pass or 3qts per pass????

For any other style driving besides drag racing the pump would still help some but for drag racing it really should help a good bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread