Heat soak?

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
So I never experienced heat soak, at least not horribly like tonight if it was heat soak. So anyway the symptoms are well....I'll tell you how it feels. First off it's a stage 2 kit with exhaust pretty much. Tonight when I ran it it seemed like I was trying to overcome a horrible headwind or something fo that nature. It felt like the car just totally hit a brick wall and didn't move out like it should have. It isn't the engine, it drives normally without any boost. There's no weird sounds. There's no misfire, so it can't be the plugs. The stock boost gauge is reading the same psi as I always read when I go into boost, but it doesn't seem to be moving out at all. IT'S SLOW AS HEN SHIT basically. Also my friends told me they didn't hear it whine like it usually does...So does anybody know if this is just heat soak? I never experienced it to this extent until tonight. It is really hot and humid and has just recently gotten like this, but earlier todaty the car acted fine when I went WOT. It seems the car would pull in 1st and somewhat in 2nd gear, but then it just.....stopped pullling hard like it usually does. ANY IDEAS?

Van@RevanRacing

So I never experienced heat soak, at least not horribly like tonight if it was heat soak. So anyway the symptoms are well....I'll tell you how it feels. First off it's a stage 2 kit with exhaust pretty much. Tonight when I ran it it seemed like I was trying to overcome a horrible headwind or something fo that nature. It felt like the car just totally hit a brick wall and didn't move out like it should have. It isn't the engine, it drives normally without any boost. There's no weird sounds. There's no misfire, so it can't be the plugs. The stock boost gauge is reading the same psi as I always read when I go into boost, but it doesn't seem to be moving out at all. IT'S SLOW AS HEN SHIT basically. Also my friends told me they didn't hear it whine like it usually does...So does anybody know if this is just heat soak? I never experienced it to this extent until tonight. It is really hot and humid and has just recently gotten like this, but earlier todaty the car acted fine when I went WOT. It seems the car would pull in 1st and somewhat in 2nd gear, but then it just.....stopped pullling hard like it usually does. ANY IDEAS?

Based on the above statement, check all of your plugs and also, if you have catalytic converters they are possibly damaged and clogging up the exhaust system which dramatically increases back pressure and reduces horsepower.

I would look at those two things first.

The other reason for looking at the cats is the lack of blower whine. That is a symptom of clogged and failed catalytic converters.

Van

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Based on the above statement, check all of your plugs and also, if you have catalytic converters they are possibly damaged and clogging up the exhaust system which dramatically increases back pressure and reduces horsepower.

I would look at those two things first.

The other reason for looking at the cats is the lack of blower whine. That is a symptom of clogged and failed catalytic converters.

Van

I don't have ant cats. It wasn't misfiring so it isn't my spark plugs.

fastlif

Established Member
your plugs could be "iffy" if near fouled, they could be getting blown out under boost and work fine at part load. Heat soak is just less timing, only way to know for sure is log it.

Van@RevanRacing

I don't have ant cats. It wasn't misfiring so it isn't my spark plugs.

Ok. No cats.

What do you think the first thing a mechanic would do, regardless of your indication that there is no misfire...............they would check the plugs.

By the way, my car wasn't misfiring either and I had 2 fouled plugs and it felt like it hit an aero wall very similar to what you said. I've been there and done that and guess what, it was fouled plugs.

Check your plugs is what I would do right off the bat. You can still get a spark with an electrode missing.

You can data log the car but do you really want to keep pushing it in a data log at high rpm and speed to show a problem when it could be a fouled plug?

You can check all 8 plugs in less than 20 minutes. You might even find a loose coil pack or a disconnected injector harness or any number of things that could cause your problem. All of which relate to plugs.

Good luck. Let us know what you find. Inevitably, you will need to check the plugs in order to rule it out.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Sounds like your basic heat soak and the car was pulling timing. Also it was said the car was fine earlier in the day and the car still runs and drives good.

Van@RevanRacing

Sounds like your basic heat soak and the car was pulling timing. Also it was said the car was fine earlier in the day and the car still runs and drives good.

I don't disagree that heat soak might be a contributing factor. I sell heat exchangers and radiators for a living and I have yet to mention or say "Hey dude, my heat exchanger will fix the problem".

I have datalogged countless cars on the road course in the middle of Florida summer heat. Similar to his Louisiana heat. For the car to feel like it hit an "aero wall" as he indicated has most often been fouled plugs. I'd be happy to say it's heat soak and can I sell you a heat exchanger? I think he will benefit greatly from one of my heat exchangers however it would be wrong for me to ignore symptoms that I have seen and experienced that were indicative of fouled plugs. New spark plugs $15.00. New Heat exchanger with fans!! Checking the plugs is a simple and economical way to rule out a potential failure or problem. He could have gotten some low octane fuel and had some detonation and fouled a plug. Anything is possible but the aero wall was my cause for concern and it is easy enough to check.

Van

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Agreed and if it's not the plugs I'd recommend one of your products. I was just saying since it drove great earlier that day and "then" he mentioned the afternoon heat more than likely it's heat soak.

He also said there were no misfire's and it idled great still so that's why I skipped mentioning the plugs also as you had hit that topic.

So OP check what Van said and if that's fine then I'd check into his cooling mod's if you'd like to help the car on not doing it so much or doing it at all. He'll know more about that part than me.:beer:

Alloy Snake

Established Member
Its a good idea to see how the plugs are burning if nothing else-I just replaced mine and found out my tune was way rich-Plugs were black-So I need a retune.The new plugs were on sale at advance for .99 each for the TR6.Cant go wrong for a 20 minute job.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Thanks van. I'll make sure I check my sparkplugs today. I called my tuner and I'll just change them anyway since I have a few thousand miles on them. This morning I started it up and ti started fine. I tested it out and it was pretty much normal under WOT. In traffic though as I got into first it seemed to bog down a little if I didn't give it enough gas...just letting the clutch out with minimal gas is what I usually do though. IDK if thats due to the heat, which it feels like 101 today and it's humid...so that might be killing the car. Other than it bogging down from a stop, it drives fine...I'll change the plugs to be on the safeside though. Thanks for all y'alls advice. If you sell the C&R or Shelby heat exchangers I'll be giving you a call sometime this year. I'm doing alot of supporting mods pretty much before I throw on my mystery boost :D....hellion...cough cough

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks van. I'll make sure I check my sparkplugs today. I called my tuner and I'll just change them anyway since I have a few thousand miles on them. This morning I started it up and ti started fine. I tested it out and it was pretty much normal under WOT. In traffic though as I got into first it seemed to bog down a little if I didn't give it enough gas...just letting the clutch out with minimal gas is what I usually do though. IDK if thats due to the heat, which it feels like 101 today and it's humid...so that might be killing the car. Other than it bogging down from a stop, it drives fine...I'll change the plugs to be on the safeside though. Thanks for all y'alls advice. If you sell the C&R or Shelby heat exchangers I'll be giving you a call sometime this year. I'm doing alot of supporting mods pretty much before I throw on my mystery boost :D....hellion...cough cough

I do sell the C&R / Shelby Heat Exchangers so give me a call but just give me a little heads up before you need it. Sometimes we have a two to three week back order and it's better to be safe than sorry. You'll need it with the cough cough Hellion set up!! :rockon:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

It was 104 with heat index yesterday. You suffered heat soak. Get an HE and that will help, but you'll still be pretty slow this time of year no matter what you do unless you add some spray. My first time at the track when it was like this I ran 106! Same exact car in November went 113. Weather really messes with these cars.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Plugs looked good, but I noticed that there was a bunch of white stains around the resevoir tank for the supercharger. I cleaned my car yesterday and under the hood so this had to have happened last night when my car was running like shit. It's running better now, but it's still not the same...not horrible, but its slower but that's due to the heat probably. It looks like the resevoir tank for the supercharger blew out a bunch, but the cap stayed on....:confused:...any idea if this is a bad thing? I know it's not good, but should I get anything else checked out?

Van@RevanRacing

Plugs looked good, but I noticed that there was a bunch of white stains around the resevoir tank for the supercharger. I cleaned my car yesterday and under the hood so this had to have happened last night when my car was running like shit. It's running better now, but it's still not the same...not horrible, but its slower but that's due to the heat probably. It looks like the resevoir tank for the supercharger blew out a bunch, but the cap stayed on....:confused:...any idea if this is a bad thing? I know it's not good, but should I get anything else checked out?

You beat the crap out of the car and it did heat soak and it blew supercharger fluid out which means it was really hot. Have you ever changed the fluid in the intercooler? Anti-Freeze or water. It sounds like you got it really hot and you need to flush or your heat exchanger pump is pumping and turning on and off. Difficult to diagnose through the internet. If you have an XCAL 3 data log IAT2 while you drive. If they are getting over 150 degrees they will boil. Also, intercooler fluid or anti-freeze when it has been over heated and cycled as it sounds like you have done loses any cooling properties and needs to be replaced. I would bypass the tune and trigger the heat exchanger to come on at ignition on. I have attached a PDF for bypassing the ECU trigger using a blade fuse. I highly recommend that you use a mini fuse as the blades are thicker and stick better and provide better contact.

Hopefully this will help.

Let us know how you make out.

Van

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
THANK YOU soo much Van. My friend is going to look at it for me tomorrow. I'm not too educated with cooling systems on these cars. The odd thing is I didn't beat on the car at all when this happen. My first race last night it was already heat soaked???? That's what made me kinda sketchy about the whole situation. I'm going to show my friend this tomorrow and see if he can do that for me. I really do appreciate your help man. Thanks a ton. Hopefully it'll be cured soon.

Users who are viewing this thread