Heater core?

Jensanity

Established Member
Hey guys does this sound like a heater core issue?

Slight Drip occasionally under dash (gets on my leg)
smoke through AC vents today(a/c on)
coolant smell
almost no coolant in tank
moisture on lines at firewall on passenger side
fluid dropping on headers

Jensanity

Established Member
Damn damn damn, thanks guys. I can do a bypass for now right? Financially how bad is the job if I do the labor?

Pantera1

Established Member
Damn damn damn, thanks guys. I can do a bypass for now right? Financially how bad is the job if I do the labor?

If your doing the work it's really pretty cheap, I think I paid $45 for the part when I worked for ford. Just be prepared to spend a day on it unless you've pulled a dash or two already

Jensanity

Established Member
I'm a little confused on refilling with coolant.
I'm just doing a bypass for now.
Will I simply fill the radiator tank and that should be all I lost or is it possible coolant was lost from the block as well?
Do I need to fill at the crossover at all?

From what I've read it seems there are two different paths of coolant? I'm pretty clueless here.
Thanks for any help it advance guys. Trying to decide how much coolant to buy, where to fill from, and if I'll need to burp the system?

Jensanity

Established Member
Dang, a lot more in depth process than I expected. Thanks for the link, bud! Super helpful! Any suggestion on how much coolant I may have lost through the heater core? Look like roughly 4 gallons in the system total. Car never rose above normal operating temp so I'm assuming there is still some coolant in the block/heads/etc.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
sounds like heater core. ya they suck but it is what it is. at least its summer time and not winter time when you really need it.

Jensanity

Established Member
sounds like heater core. ya they suck but it is what it is. at least its summer time and not winter time when you really need it.

Got that right, much better than it happening dead of winter. I'm just gonna bypass for now and actually repair a little closer to cold.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Bypass for now..

you will need to open ac system to get this job done so add freon to cost..

I did mine solo..took about 5 hrs...I didnt remove dash from car just pulled it back enough to get hvac box out..

I do suggest oem core...yr3z-18476-ba

good luck..

if you do bypass..the 2 tubes are different sizes.. I removed vacuum line harness and it opened up rear of engine to reach in..

Jensanity

Established Member
Bypass for now..

you will need to open ac system to get this job done so add freon to cost..

I did mine solo..took about 5 hrs...I didnt remove dash from car just pulled it back enough to get hvac box out..

I do suggest oem core...yr3z-18476-ba

good luck..

if you do bypass..the 2 tubes are different sizes.. I removed vacuum line harness and it opened up rear of engine to reach in..

Thanks for the advice. What should I do about the connections at the firewall attached to the hoses? I can'y figure out how to connect the two hoses with those connectors on the ends of each line, but don't want to cut them off because I'm sure they help keep the lines from closing off as they 90 onto the firewall...I bought two new hoses to use instead, but if there is an easier way to preserve the connectors I'm all ears!

hotcobra03

Established Member
I took off both heater core hoses put in a safe spot..used a jumper from tube on head to tube return to water pump..used worm type clamps..

its not a straight run to jump..something with a formed bent would be best..

Users who are viewing this thread