Heater core

lethal04

Established Member
Just had my heater core go out in my cobra, just looking for some tips or any kind of info or input would be greatly appreciated. Ive heard you gotta take dash and steering wheel out ? Is there any other way to do it without all that mess or without just by passing it. Thanks

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Geez. I have been trying to find someone to change mine out in my 1995 T-bird. Dealership wants almost $900.00 counting the heater core. I have asked a couple of people to do it or help me do it and nobody wants to touch it. I can only imagine on a Cobra. I know the old Fox boies take 2 full days per Ford.

hotcobra03

Established Member
where in texas are you?

i bypassed mine but did install a new core last year,,the older i get the colder it gets...

to pull core you need to unhook ac...if i do another 1 im going to see if box pulls back enough without disconnecting ac lines..

took me around 4hrs and i cut alot of corners and kept reading manual...if it can be done without pulling ac lines it would be like a 2hr job...

i just qouted a guy 200 plus parts to do his f150 core

toomanytoys

Established Member
Geez. I have been trying to find someone to change mine out in my 1995 T-bird. Dealership wants almost $900.00 counting the heater core. I have asked a couple of people to do it or help me do it and nobody wants to touch it. I can only imagine on a Cobra. I know the old Fox boies take 2 full days per Ford.

Im not sure about the 94 and newer cars,but I did it in my 88LX and it took me under 3 hours and I didnt touch my a/c.

I just cut a access door in my airbox and slid the heater core out. After installing the new one I put the door back on with some windshield glue.

Sure beats removing the seats, dropping the steering column and pulling the whole dashboard.

lethal04

Established Member

It's a long process man that's for sure ! I did change one out in a old 88 hatch back I had and it SUCKED ! Two day process is correct. I have a buddy that works at a dealership and said he would change it out on the side for 350 but I also gotta buy a part which isn't thank expensive only like 80 dollars his cost ? I'm just trying to get out cheap as I can lol I just had motor built again. Good luck to you man !

lethal04

Established Member
where in texas are you?

i bypassed mine but did install a new core last year,,the older i get the colder it gets...

to pull core you need to unhook ac...if i do another 1 im going to see if box pulls back enough without disconnecting ac lines..

took me around 4hrs and i cut alot of corners and kept reading manual...if it can be done without pulling ac lines it would be like a 2hr job...

i just qouted a guy 200 plus parts to do his f150 core

I live in mineral wells. Did you pull dash all apart To do so ? I haven't heard about pulling a/c lines ? 4 hours not to bad but 2 would be awesome ! I would just bypass mine but it's been down for 6 months and I just got it back on the road last week when heater core went out and I want to drive it again bad ! I've researched a little bit on this and i came across an idea that someone had of taking glove box out and cutting a rectangle behind there and should be able to get to it pretty easy ? But I dang sure don't want to cut up my car so I'm asking that guy lots of questions.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
i didnt completely pull dash,just lifted passenger side back and went under dash to pull heater box...this is where i would try to get core without pulling ac lines..

the core just sits on top of box under a cover held with 4 screws,,2 you can get to..the other 2 i dont remember if you can get to them without pulling box...i seen this after pulling box cause i had no clue as to how it was..for me the hardest part was getting the center console off ,,my parking brake doest go that high,,,after pulling it as hard as i could i just had enough to get cover off handle..

there are only a handfull of bolts that hold dash,,,manual is a must for seeing what to remove and how some of the cables disconnect,,,if you dont have a manual you can use this.
Gale Cengage Product Failure

too bad you live so far,,,read thru steps to get understanding about ac lines..

lethal04

Established Member
i didnt completely pull dash,just lifted passenger side back and went under dash to pull heater box...this is where i would try to get core without pulling ac lines..

the core just sits on top of box under a cover held with 4 screws,,2 you can get to..the other 2 i dont remember if you can get to them without pulling box...i seen this after pulling box cause i had no clue as to how it was..for me the hardest part was getting the center console off ,,my parking brake doest go that high,,,after pulling it as hard as i could i just had enough to get cover off handle..

there are only a handfull of bolts that hold dash,,,manual is a must for seeing what to remove and how some of the cables disconnect,,,if you dont have a manual you can use this.
Gale Cengage Product Failure

too bad you live so far,,,read thru steps to get understanding about ac lines..

Alright man I really appreciate your help. My next concern is gonna be my cage being in the way ? Think that mite cause some issues ?

50q's

Established Member
Is there anything in particular to watch for when doing this. Starting mine tomorow morning. I heard airbags and some spring. But any suggestions would be helpful

lethal04

Established Member
Is there anything in particular to watch for when doing this. Starting mine tomorow morning. I heard airbags and some spring. But any suggestions would be helpful

Man I read the info on Chilton that other guy posted and that helped me alot man or atleast got a better idea of what I was getting into ?

Users who are viewing this thread