Heavier springs for 2000R

JoeJ

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I am thinking about going with heavier springs for my 2000 R. I am looking for some 1000 lb springs for the front and 1100 lb springs for the rear. Does anyone have a suggestion where I should get these? I want linear not progressive springs. I also need to know the unsprung height and both the ID and OD of the original Cobra R springs so I will have the same ride height with the new springs.

I am thinking about calling Coleman Springs to see what they have to offer. If anyone has another company who builds quality springs, please let me know.

Thanks guys!!!!

:beer:

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I would highly recommend looking into coil-overs instead of running conventional springs at that high of a rate. A 1000Ibs/in front conventional spring will have a wheel rate around 250 Ibs/in. Running a very light coil-over spring of around 275 Ibs/in will provide the same wheel rate. As far as the rear a 1100 Ibs/in conventional spring will provide a wheel rate of around 341 Ibs/in. For an equivalent coil-over spring you would run a 700 Ibs/in spring. I believe that set-up would be very unbalanced. I would suggest you call Maximum Motorsports and ask them for a recommended spring combination to suit your driving requirements. For a reference I run MM Bilstein race spec struts with 425 Ibs/in coil-overs in the front and 00R spec shocks with 650 Ibs/in coil-overs in the rear and am very happy with this set-up with full Delrin bushings front and rear.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 1995COBRA-R
I always heard that Mustangs (Fox and SN95) liked a stiff front and softer rear?

That is true with a solid axle, but the IRS is completely different. On a solid axle over ~250 Ibs/in conventional rear spring is considered a race set-up, but with an IRS you have to go in excess of 800 Ibs/in for the same affect.

JoeJ

Established Member
Guys,

Thanks for your comments...Toofast4u - I tend to agree with everything you say and I am going to put a hold on going to heavier springs. If I decide to do something with the suspension, I will probably go to coil-overs. I really want to corner balance the car and adjust the ride height.
The main problem I have is the car nose diving under heavy breaking. I think I have kind of adjusted to this with my driving style...slow..lol..anyway...this is a subject I will look into over the winter. Hmmm....Winter in Texas...I dont think so..lol :beer: :lol: :rockon:

Thoght I would try to attach a picture which was taken at Gingerman. I sure had a blast running with all my friends.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Sweet picture. It looks like if you were going any slower your splitter would be rubbing. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I'm still running a 100% stock suspension....the front struts are getting a little wet, so I either have to replace them, or go coil over....I just hate to start replacing the factory stuff, as alot of the aftermarket stuff has resulted in suspension failures....once you start moving pivot points and changing stress load factors around, stuff is more prone to breakage....

Joe, that was a blast....but look how much faster you're going, I'm just a blur in the background :lol: :lol: :lol:

JoeJ

Established Member
"Joe, that was a blast....but look how much faster you're going, I'm just a blur in the background"

Hmmm...the reason it is blurred is the fact that you were going much faster and was all over my butt..You sure pushed me around the track that one session..
:lol: :beer: :rockon:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
ac427cobra said:
I kinda like a stiff rear and soft front? Or are we talking cars here?
Bruce,
Your hormones are acting up again (it's probably the winter season). The doc would prescribe loading up the motorcoach and pointing it south towards Daytona. You'll need at least a month of racing (Speedweeks), relaxation, beach bum activities (be sure to take pics and post), sunshine, and fresh seafood to recharge the batteries. Not enough? Just hang around for spring break. The scenery will improve. You'll be fully rested up for the upcoming '05 race calender. :idea:

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
NJ2000R said:
as alot of the aftermarket stuff has resulted in suspension failures....once you start moving pivot points and changing stress load factors around, stuff is more prone to breakage....

What documented failure? I've been running coilovers for the past two years, and others longer than me, and I've not heard of coilover related "suspension failures" yet. While I would agree that the last part of your statement can be true, I don't see it applying to coilover swaps. I have, however, seen certain K member and control arm failures. There's a reduction in weight regarding coilovers, increased wheel rate using lower overal spring rates. I would tend to think that adding a 1000 or 1200 # rated spring in the factory location would increase the chance of a "failure" than a simple coilover swap with stock parts.

Joe, you rode with me at Gingerman this last time, I think you'd be extremely pleased with the addition of coilovers. The only thing I'm dissapointed with is the fact that Koni D/As must be adjusted or they "freeze up" (won't adjust) requiring a rebuild. I got a deal on the Konis, but if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the MM race Bils...

Steve

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Steve, when I said aftermarket stuff, I didnt neccessarily mean coilovers....I was eluding more towards the lighter weight k-members, control arms, spindles, etc....but have heard of some instances where front coilovers caused flexing and ultimately stress cracking to the strut towers....never saw it, but heard people talk about it....

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
ragansrcobra99 said:
I got a deal on the Konis, but if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the MM race Bils...

I have the MM race Bilsteins on my car with 425 Ibs/in coil-overs and they work well. The only interesting thing about them is after they sit overnight they are solid for a mile or so the next day until they start articulating. It is concerning at first if it is a daily driver, but you will get use to it.

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
NJ2000R said:
Steve, when I said aftermarket stuff, I didnt neccessarily mean coilovers....I was eluding more towards the lighter weight k-members, control arms, spindles, etc....but have heard of some instances where front coilovers caused flexing and ultimately stress cracking to the strut towers....never saw it, but heard people talk about it....

Ok, I got ya. Seems I've seen something like this popup before when talking about coilovers. The only concern I've ever had was running the coilovers in the rear. I'm running 650# springs in the back, and I've seen a few pics of cracked shock towers over on cc.com. Had the guys at my local shop weld in a bar to cure that. I'll agree that the rear towers need bracing of some sort.

My Kmember ect is still stock, I don't think the addition of coilovers alone would cause any problems (providing you brace the rear). Glad to see you got that, it just came out weird to me, I suppose. :p

toofast4u said:
I have the MM race Bilsteins on my car with 425 Ibs/in coil-overs and they work well. The only interesting thing about them is after they sit overnight they are solid for a mile or so the next day until they start articulating. It is concerning at first if it is a daily driver, but you will get use to it.

I believe the Konis are the same way, but as often as I drive my car, the Kumhos always have a flat spot in them, so it's hard to tell.

I'm debating on selling the entire Koni setup w/coilovers and going to the Bils, only it's hard to price a complete kit with 2 struts that need a rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread