Hellion turbo on a 93

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Here is the graph on my pulls. I dont have a scanner, but you can already tell by looking at my air/fuel ratio at the bottom that he wont go over 5200 rpms. I took a picture of the graph with my camera, off center, then tried to take another one and now it won't work, thats great. but anyways.. Does that even seem like a turbo'd car? It looks alot like my 03 Cobra pulls, although my 03 never had that much torque, :)
graph.gif

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
I just noticed that now both my 03 and now my 93 had the same amount of horsepower, lol. Although my 03 was pushing 12.5 #'s of boost and going all the way to redline which was 6500 rpms, compared to my 10 almost 11 psi not completely tuned 93... Im loving this turbo already!!!

I took it out on the streets last night and gave a couple of friends rides that own turbo cars and they where just speechless. I mean, the car hauls a$$ and ofcourse I am getting out of it before 5k. I got on the highway, I was doing 80 mph in 4th gear and punched it... OMG, it flies!!!
The turbo "noise" is awesome too! The blow off valve is barely heard though, I wish it was a little louder. Can I buy something a bit louder or is that "loud" cause I am only pushing 10 psi and not 20 psi?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Terrific info guys. Definately subscribing as I will likely be investing in this same kit for my GT in the near future.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
Can I buy something a bit louder or is that "loud" cause I am only pushing 10 psi and not 20 psi?

Subscribed as well.

I'm sure 20psi would make a big difference but I was running a greddy type s on my old stealth tt and it was pretty loud at 12psi and had a metallic ting to it. venting to the atmosphere will make it a lot louder, not sure if this kit is set up that way though?

Are you running a adjustible fuel press. reg? That install article i mentioned before also recommended one. They ran 32psi with the vacum line disconnected and were seeing a air/fuel ration of 11.6:1 through most of the run at a 1:1 fuel pressure spike. Timing was at 23 degrees total. They were running 9psi of boost.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
UWISSSH said:
Subscribed as well.

I'm sure 20psi would make a big difference but I was running a greddy type s on my old stealth tt and it was pretty loud at 12psi and had a metallic ting to it. venting to the atmosphere will make it a lot louder, not sure if this kit is set up that way though?

Are you running a adjustible fuel press. reg? That install article i mentioned before also recommended one. They ran 32psi with the vacum line disconnected and were seeing a air/fuel ration of 11.6:1 through most of the run at a 1:1 fuel pressure spike. Timing was at 23 degrees total. They were running 9psi of boost.

My tuner recommended a non adjustable fuel pressure regulator. to just run the stock 1:1.
Regarding the blow off valve, it is a vent to atmosphere type valve. My tuner also said that for what I am running the BoV was very minimal and I should run a bigger one. Said they are like the ones used on Saab cars or supercharged cars.
Regarding my timing... Dan left it at only 14 degrees cause I was already making great power and with the boost set at 10, I was going to peg the meter even sooner, so he left it low so I can atleast get to 5k rpms.

Again, once I get my MAF worked out, I already email Pro-M (PMAS) to see if the can provide me with something that works. I should easily be in the 525-550 easily once I get it tuned properly.

Regarding this kit. I still like it, my tuner aswell said it was very nicely done regarding the turbo and piping, but disliked the blow-thru MAF

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Oh and btw, for what its worth... My tuner mentioned that this kit would work GREAT even with the blow-thru MAF on stock mustangs and that he has tuned a couple here in town that are stock with the turbo kit and have no problem using the MAF, it doesn't peg. But once you start adding mods, like heads, cam, intake and all that good stuff, you definately need the bigger maf.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
Oh and btw, for what its worth... My tuner mentioned that this kit would work GREAT even with the blow-thru MAF on stock mustangs and that he has tuned a couple here in town that are stock with the turbo kit and have no problem using the MAF, it doesn't peg. But once you start adding mods, like heads, cam, intake and all that good stuff, you definately need the bigger maf.

It'd be a lot easier to simply get a MAF that's calibrated for the 42's (the smallest injectors I'd recommend), and set up for blow through and be done with it. Trying to make the factory MAF work would be a waste of time, and in the end you'd still have driveability issues with it.

I'm running the Tial 50mm BOV, and it's not as loud and crisp as the other BOV's that are out there, but it moves a lot of air, and still plenty loud to announce to anyone what's under the hood.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Any updates guys? I'm also curious to hear what kind of 1/4mi times you expect to run with this kit.

can't let this thread die!!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
With the right turbo, this could easily put a car in the 9's. Not likely however on a mostly stock '93 cobra motor. So it just depends on how hard anyone wants to push it, and what sort of supporting items ya have. But as long as the turbo itself is capable, and the engine is ready for it, it's almost limitless (as far as a typical street car goes).

Reasonably speaking though with that turbo, and that combo, it could see low 11's pretty easily I think. Maybe faster. I forsee head gaskets and ARP's in OUR near future.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
With the right turbo, this could easily put a car in the 9's. Not likely however on a mostly stock '93 cobra motor. So it just depends on how hard anyone wants to push it, and what sort of supporting items ya have. But as long as the turbo itself is capable, and the engine is ready for it, it's almost limitless (as far as a typical street car goes).

Reasonably speaking though with that turbo, and that combo, it could see low 11's pretty easily I think. Maybe faster. I forsee head gaskets and ARP's in OUR near future.

That's what I was thinking too. I've seen a stock 93 lx with a incon hit 10's which would mean easier for us, but the hyper pistons is what scares me. With running on a stock motor I would like to know what others are thinking for their plans.

With our cars becoming collectors items, keeping the stock motor intact is something to greatly consider. Gaskets and head bolts will help but at what point should you pull the stock motor and toss in a stronger block that you can throw some boost at?

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Well, I do have some updates...
When I installed my clutch assembly, I put way to much pre-load on the pressure plate so the clutch never really fully released. I noticed this on on my launches and had a very weird smell. So I started messing with all my adjustments on the quadrants and the cable is adjustable too. Well now, its totally different. The car actually bogs down if I dont accelarate enough, it didn't do that before. So im pretty sure I got the car dyno'd on a clutch that wasn't fully disengaging.

Also, I have been trying to fabricate something for my MAF troubles. I pegged the meter at only 4500 rpm's or so, so I havent tuned it any higher then 5k rpms. I have been trying to get a custom "non" tuned maf meter from Pro-m, the pro tube 3.5"... but they seem to be having trouble doing this for me.

Until further notice, I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

regarding the car though... I have been pushing it to 5k... trying not to over rev it, cause I am currently driving it to work and such. The car feels strong as hell, more so now that the clutch is working as intended.
And my engine is definately not stock, so I will be pushing this turbo to its limits.

just for what its worth...
My personal best with the previous set up I had, powerdyne at 7psi... I ran a best of 12.4 @ 116.xx (on street tires)
The car now, shifting at only 5k rpms, is already faster then that.. I guarantee it. I am pushing 10.5 - 11 psi now though
I am willing to say that the car will run well into the 11's once I get the MAF issue fixed. And now that I have the built trans, it will be using drags slicks or radials at the track.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What about the SCT meters?
I'd think that would be your best bet.
Awesome results guys.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good point, forgot that part. I know they are tunable/calibrated with the SCT tune, so they may be able to be used.
-J

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
green 02 grizzl said:
I am waiting on a 75mm maf from pro-m. Does the sct come in a blow thru design?

You are actually going to go smaller then the provided meter though...
How does that help you out?

My meter is pegged way to early with a 76mm ... Im trying to get atleast a 90mm to fit on my set up

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
I was hoping that the 1mm would be unimportant. With my engine being basically stock. But with my luck I will be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread