Hello from TN - New(to me) 2003 Cobra

Matt03Snake

Established Member
Hi everyone! I've been in read-only on this board for about 2 weeks and just wanted to introduce myself. I just purchased a 2003 Silver Cobra Coupe about 2 weeks ago. It had about 1450 miles on it when purchased and I just turned over 2K. I feel bad about driving it so much, but can't help it! :D

First question I have is what my build date and number are. The VIN is: //edit

So far, I've run across a few common issues: Rear suspension popping, stalling, & vibrations coming from the bezel around A/C vents. Other than that, no issues. I love every minute of driving my snake!

Anyway, to correct the rear suspension, I have heard that subframe connectors have a side benifit of correcting this due to less frame torsion. Is this true?

For the stalling, I'm told I need the new program on my ECU. I've heard SVT is expecting to release new code within a week or so? Should I wait for this code to reflash my ECU at the dealer?

For the vibration in the A/C vents, I've heard clips may be missing and this is a common problem with 03s...? Any validity to this rumor?

Thanks for the help! I'm new to 4.6s in general other than helping my friends with thier 97 & 99s, but have much expirience with my 88 GT which is currently in my garage getting the M-2300-K kit installed with some 99 Cobra rims. I'm also considering building up a nice 331 stroker as the 03 is now much faster than the 88's 13.9@100, :) Already have the Edlebrock RPM full intake and 70mm TB waiting to be installed for it.

Last edited:

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Hey Matt,

Glad to hear you like your car! When you say rear end popping, are you meaning "wheel hop" under heavy acceleration, or something popping internally?

If it is wheel hop, the SFC don't really much if at all, but they do provide a much firmer feel, and are a very worthwhile (some say necessary) mod. To reduce wheel hop, try the Maximum Motorsports IRS bushings and Drag Radials. Those two seem to help the most short of going to a solid rear end.

I haven't experianced the other issues your're having. I did have a leaky rear diff that was resealed recently. If you are having legitimate rear end pop, take that thing to the dealer and get them to fix it!

You will find it hard to stay out of the accelerator, so if it isn't fixed, it will only get worse! It is only a one day job for them to tear down the rearend.

torchred03

Established Member
Welcome to the TERMINATOR club :beer:

For you build date and #'s. Call 1-800-FORDSVT, give them the last six of VIN# and youv'e got it.

Once again congrats on your recent purchase.

SDAVIS

Established Member
Welcome !!!!!

You're going to spend a lot of time in here, I've lurked here for 7 months before getting the balls to post. I've had my cobra since April and had several minor problems fixed at the dealer using the "search" feature for info. Good luck!

Matt03Snake

Established Member
Thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome!

The pop is not IRS hop, but rather a pop that occurs when driving slowly over uneven surfaces like a driveway or parking lot entryway. I think there was a TSB on it. :shrug: Other than the issues I'm having, I love my first Cobra so much I would rather be doing it more than anything else! Well, maybe one other thing, but since I don't have access to that right now, this is just as good I think!:rockon:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Welcome aboard from up here in Connecticut. Enjoy your Cobra and enjoy the forum. The best Cobra forum on the Net! :beer:

kencobra

Face Down In Cabo
Established Member
Welcome and congrats. Just got my sb vert last week. Seems like we are in for a whole ( shot ) of fun.

Remember: Always check your six !

Users who are viewing this thread