Help! 03 Cobra Overheating!

Hokieitis

Established Member
Short story first, I just bought an 03 Cobra last week with 88k miles. Need to start off by saying that I am not the most mechanical guy, I'm trying to learn every square inch of this beast because I plan on putting a lot of work and money into it. I modded a 05 V6..but that's nothing close to this...so excuse my lack of car knowledge and terms. With that said...Last owner said he never had any issues with it overheating. I've been driving it off and on for about a week and haven't had any issues until today. In Georgia and the high temp was only about 70 degrees today. Added coolant because it was a little empty. There is the black tank on the left side that is connected to the radiator and the clear like tank that has a hose running just underneath the S/C. My buddy said to check the clear tank and when I start the car, the water/coolant should be getting sucked in. I did that, and saw no movement. Car cools down quick but at about 15 min of idling the temp goes to about 3/4 hot. Maybe the thermostat is bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bryan AKA Newb

Hokieitis

Established Member
photo.php

vroom

Established Member
check to see if your intercooler pump is working, located under the right front of the nose. you should be able to feel in working with the car running. If it is working and was low on coolant you may have to burp the system to get the air out. use a pressure tester to apply pressure to tank. remove hose from under s/c at the tank side before you add pressure to get the air out.... As far as the temp going 3/4, your thermostat may be sticking.

RichM1983

Established Member
Would you happen to have a pic of the intercooler pump and/or know how to unstick the thermostat?

A better way to test the pump is to use a jumper wire where the relay is. It is really easy.

Go here for details. Also, if its the original IC pump it could work intermittently.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/797119-how-do-you-jumper-i-c-pump.html

As for overheating it could be several things. Could be bad thermostat. Could have air that needs burped. I would start with a nice new reische thermostat and a fresh fill of coolant. There is a how to.....

http://www.reischeperformance.com/refill.html

Last edited:

Hokieitis

Established Member
A better way to test the pump is to use a jumper wire where the relay is. It is really easy.

Go here for details. Also, if its the original IC pump it could work intermittently.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/797119-how-do-you-jumper-i-c-pump.html

As for overheating it could be several things. Could be bad thermostat. Could have air that needs burped. I would start with a nice new reische thermostat and a fresh fill of coolant. There is a how to.....

Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products

Thanks for the help. The resevoir is full but when I opened the crossover plug it took a lot of coolant and still was not full. I ran out of coolant but tomorrow I am going to get more coolant and continue the steps of filling, running the car, and topping off again. Burping. So...I'll see what happens. Anyway I still plan on getting a reische t-stat soon just for gp.

b_dike

Established Member
Thanks for the help. The resevoir is full but when I opened the crossover plug it took a lot of coolant and still was not full. I ran out of coolant but tomorrow I am going to get more coolant and continue the steps of filling, running the car, and topping off again. Burping. So...I'll see what happens. Anyway I still plan on getting a reische t-stat soon just for gp.

So you topped off the engine coolant then, not the intercooler coolant? If that's the case you most definitely have air in the system.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Short story first, I just bought an 03 Cobra last week with 88k miles. Need to start off by saying that I am not the most mechanical guy, I'm trying to learn every square inch of this beast because I plan on putting a lot of work and money into it. I modded a 05 V6..but that's nothing close to this...so excuse my lack of car knowledge and terms. With that said...Last owner said he never had any issues with it overheating. I've been driving it off and on for about a week and haven't had any issues until today. In Georgia and the high temp was only about 70 degrees today. Added coolant because it was a little empty. There is the black tank on the left side that is connected to the radiator and the clear like tank that has a hose running just underneath the S/C. My buddy said to check the clear tank and when I start the car, the water/coolant should be getting sucked in. I did that, and saw no movement. Car cools down quick but at about 15 min of idling the temp goes to about 3/4 hot. Maybe the thermostat is bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bryan AKA Newb

welcome,

hope you didnt buy someones head ache..

look above theads,,see stickys...before you post read

you will see cobra facts / questions..a must read

you will also see free factory service manual for you laptop..

also a how to do link with pics posted from members over the last 10 years

be smart..read and ask first..you can damage engine very easy..

there are some very common issues to cause overheating..and must be filled right or it will continue...see 1st sticky on tstat

post pic of car

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
welcome,

hope you didnt buy someones head ache..

look above theads,,see stickys...before you post read

you will see cobra facts / questions..a must read

you will also see free factory service manual for you laptop..

also a how to do link with pics posted from members over the last 10 years

be smart..read and ask first..you can damage engine very easy..

there are some very common issues to cause overheating..and must be filled right or it will continue...see 1st sticky on tstat

post pic of car

This!:beer::rockon:

Hokieitis

Established Member
Also see if the fans are coming on

Ok..so I topped of the coolant from the crossover plug and attempted to burp the system according to the how-to above. Gave it some gas...coolant went down, added more and so on. Eventually it was showing full from the crossover plug and stopped going down. I capped it off and today I checked it again and it was the same. I let it idle for 10-15 min while keeping my eye on the temp gauge. It warmed up and the gauge showed it dead center between the C and H. After that I took it out on the road for about 15 min and it didnt change. Stayed dead center. Came back and let it idle again. Turned around and it's pegging H and the coolant begins coming from the Engine Coolant cap. Before taking it out the first time I checked the intercooler coolant and it's at the Fill to line but when I start the car it just sits there...doesn't boil or move at all. Normal? Also, I checked the fan and it wasn't running the first time idled it. I was thinking just because the car wasn't warm yet. Also, I turned the A/C on to see if it would come on then. Nothing happened. So now I'm not sure if it's the t-stat, fan, or intercooler pump....

RichM1983

Established Member
Ok..so I topped of the coolant from the crossover plug and attempted to burp the system according to the how-to above. Gave it some gas...coolant went down, added more and so on. Eventually it was showing full from the crossover plug and stopped going down. I capped it off and today I checked it again and it was the same. I let it idle for 10-15 min while keeping my eye on the temp gauge. It warmed up and the gauge showed it dead center between the C and H. After that I took it out on the road for about 15 min and it didnt change. Stayed dead center. Came back and let it idle again. Turned around and it's pegging H and the coolant begins coming from the Engine Coolant cap. Before taking it out the first time I checked the intercooler coolant and it's at the Fill to line but when I start the car it just sits there...doesn't boil or move at all. Normal? Also, I checked the fan and it wasn't running the first time idled it. I was thinking just because the car wasn't warm yet. Also, I turned the A/C on to see if it would come on then. Nothing happened. So now I'm not sure if it's the t-stat, fan, or intercooler pump....

Your missing a few things here. The intercooler has nothing to do with the engine overheating. The pump doesn't always run when the car is first turned on. To check it look at the link I posted concerning how to jumper it.

The fans not coming on when the AC is turned on could be a problem. They should automatically come on when the AC is on. Might do some digging and see if the fans are working. That could be the problem. Since it got hot though and was boiling out you will need to refill from the crossover tube again...maybe. Worth a check for sure.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

If the fan does not come on when the A/C is turned on you have most likely found the initial cause of your cooling problem.

The fan is most likely bad. It could still be a fuse or relay as well but the fan is likely bad.

Users who are viewing this thread