HELP! 2003 Cobra: Hood trouble...body shop horror

snakeraper11b

Established Member
That hood just fits like ****. It can't be the wrong hood. The only other variation of the 03-04 hood is made to fit the 99-04 non 03-04 cobra bumpers. Those are even shorter than the 03-04's so the gap would be further increased. Just a cheap hood it looks like. TruFiber has a decent reputation for fit and finish and it would most likely be a vast improvement over that hood. Did you order that one off of eBay? Just curious.

2003-2004 Terminator Cobra Hood

snakeraper11b

Established Member
CJ Pony Part "....An exact fit for all 2003 or 2004 Cobras, this hood installs easily and securely using the OEM hood latch and hood hinges. Constructed from durable fiberglass, this hood is designed to meet OE specifications for a trouble free installation."

The TruFiber hoods have good reviews from what I have seen on the boards and in person. I've never seen one fit like the one you have.

It's going to be a tricky situation since the part is already altered with pins and painted. However, the product is a direct contradiction to the end state finish. I would go as high up and make as much of stink as needed until its resolved in your favor. You paid $500 and were mislead, they need to make it right. I would expect them to at least credit you a portion of a full refund to the purchase of another hood through them. The only issue with that is, the only other 03-04 style hood they offer is the cervinis (which fits flawlessly from what I've seen around forums), which happens to be for the 99-04 height bumpers and would would hit your 03-04 bumper when the hood is closed. ROCK (you) HARDPLACE. I hope it all works out, keep us updated

Blueline

Established Member
Why would they put hood pins? If it didn't close correctly then they should have known there was an issue and should never have released the car. Take a bunch of pics with the hood open in the area of the bump stops, latch and under hood. It looks like it's sitting too high and if you drop the latch and stops a bit it will be better. Snap a bunch of pics and post them up.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
That would be extremely unsettling because its ford body shop that did the work and they told me it was an OEM cobra bumper. Does any one have the measurement on how tall the "pillars" on their cobra bumper are? (if that makes sense).

The person you replied to is incorrect. That is with a GT bumper. There would be no gap with a 03-04 hood and your 03-04 bumper. There is no 03-04 style bumper for a 99-04 gt, they are one and the same. Your bumper is fine, that guy has no idea what he's talking about haha

Last edited:

Gixxerride04

Established Member
Why would they put hood pins? If it didn't close correctly then they should have known there was an issue and should never have released the car. Take a bunch of pics with the hood open in the area of the bump stops, latch and under hood. It looks like it's sitting too high and if you drop the latch and stops a bit it will be better. Snap a bunch of pics and post them up.

I was thinking the same thing, u may have to screw the bump stops down on each side a bit, that way the hood will down come too. Just a thought

big dad

Established Member
I would take measurements of a stock unmolested 03-04 Cobra hood and see if there is a difference. That way you have a reference point to start with.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Is your hood latch locking down, it looks like your hood is just sitting on the latch like when you pop it? If thats the case I cant believe a body shop would install hood pins and leave it like that.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
The latch catches the hood but its as if its in a constant "popped" state. The lever on the inside of my car no longer has any functionality. :shrug:

Thats sad they let the car leave like that. It sounds like you could just adjust the latch properly and your problem will be solved. Our cars are notorious for the hoods being hard to close. On mine I have to slam it every time and it drives me crazy. Here is a thread that tells you how to mod it and its really simple. I need to do this myself but I always forget to do it until im trying to close my hood again. See if this works for you: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ch-adjustment-modification-hood-slam-fix.html

Woody6799

Established Member
looks like you need a better body shop... I would drive it rick back there and leave it till its fixed right, this is why you have insurance

Users who are viewing this thread