HELP! 2003 Cobra: Hood trouble...body shop horror

bauto

Established Member
hood

The hood doesn't line up with the front part of the fenders either, so I would say the hood is the major issue not the bumper cover . I bought 2 oem hoods lately had one shipped picked up the other one myself the one shipped the corners were broken so make sure if your getting one shipped they package it real well good luck in your repair
regards Bob

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
That aftermarket reservoir looks like it is sitting awfully high, almost level with the hood pins. I would pull that and see if it sits flush.

Tractionless1

Established Member
1. You don't have to deal with the body shop at all for their piss poor workmanship. Call your insurance company direct, tell them to send out an adjuster to see the garbage work their "shop of choice" did. That way you can have a civilized conversation with the Ins. co. who can have one back with you as neither of you are the at fault party. Make the Ins. co. stress out with the body shop, it's their job.

2. You shouldn't have to source your own parts. Make them do it, they can shop on ebay too! There's plenty of OE hoods around.

3. In your resolution with the body shop you state they will use an OEM hood and if they have the same issue they'll work at it until it's fixed. If they have the same issue, the GD problem isn't with the hood, it's with the work to the radiator support and frame rails. In fact I'm leaning toward the radiator support being fubar right now with how far up the current hood is sitting. Furthermore, if they installed hood pins and drilled into the radiator support without your prior knowledge I'd make them replace it!

03cobraracer

Established Member
I would be so mad for the fact they drilled holes in my rad support alone. And installed hood pins without my consent. Hopefully they make everything right for you and get that shit fixed.

Cape Cobra

03 Cobra hood

I had a similar problem. Pick up truck backed into my 03 Cobra. They no longer make the OEM hood. Ended up finding one , thanks to a member here. The trouble with the aftermarket is those guys often do not tell you that the hoods have to be paired with the aftermarket bumbers that are sold.
i feel bad that you are in this situation, maybe find out from the place you got the hood how much the bumper would cost. Or start over and find an OEM hood. They are out there.

Cfelix10

Established Member
I run an auto body shop in Maryland and I can tell you there is no way in hell that car would have left my shop like that... I'm betting that the problem is partially in the junk hood and partially in the radiator support.

How does the rest of the front line up? Such as the headlights, fenders, etc.. Look closely at the fender gaps to the doors. If the front rails are down at all the gaps at the bottom are going to be tighter than normal.

Also, how did they verify with you that the bumper cover was OEM? There should be a sticker on the backside of the cover that says "RDOT" with a Ford logo.

Let me know if you have any questions.. I look at wrecked cars every day unfortunately.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
A bit of obscure knowledge, but the Cobra is like 1.xx" or so longer than other new edge Mustangs. They messed up something with the tooling, I thought it was on the front bumper or hood, which required them to adjust the sizes of other parts. I would not be surprised if that were the reason your aftermarket hood does not fit your *real* Cobra. That hood is probably tooled to fit non-cobra cars.

I could be wrong...

CobRoush-00

Established Member
I am glad it worked out well for you. However, I will say this, as a reputable Ford dealer shop they should have known something was terribly wrong with the hood and not delivered the car to you like that. That thing looked like crap, man. Anyway, enjoy your car my friend.

akeohan

Established Member
Glad it worked out for you, They should have kept it and finished the repair right but I'm glad they did the right thing in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread