Help 99 cobra will not start!!!!

cnason3

ok I am stumped on this and have done many searches to no avail. car is a 99 and will turn over and seems to have fuel pressure. but just will not start when I plug in code scanner it will not connect and nothing in the instrument cluster seems to have power no line or numbers in the odometer fuel gauge and voltmeter do nothing but all the dummy lights across the bottom of cluster come on. theft is not flashing any help would be great. I went through all the ecu fuses and can't find a burnt one. last time it fired up I had it plugged into a battery jump box and it started for a second then died and that was the end

Ohio Snake

Established Member
A long time ago, I had a 99 cobra. It did the same thing you are experiencing. Except mine got a few feet in a parking then petered out.

Ill bet it is your fuel pump. The pump gets fairly hot and you should never go below a quarter tank to keep the pump “cool” with fuel. I notice that 12 GT500 kicks the low fuel indicator at 1/4 tank.
Check fuel pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Even with a bad fuel pump he would have full instrumentation...I would think

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Check the ccrm in passenger fender for power outputs. Sound like that isn’t turning on the relays or the pcm

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
If the scanner won't connect to the pcm then you could have no 12v to pcm or a bad ground to pcm. Any work done lately that may have pinched a wire?

cnason3

cnason3, I'm dying here from curiosity. Did you get your car started? What was the problem? CCRM? What have you done to fix it - anything?
no luck ccrm seems to have power. I have checked all the fuses. then I left my multimeter on and killed the batt. once I remember to pick up a battery or steal one out of one of the smoke detectors. i'm going to check to see if the ecu has power. it's kind of on the when I have time list. for now I just been driving the new ecoboost and my pickup so not in a huge hurry. it's kind of aggravating though seems it's a convertible and the weather has been perfect for it

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Had a similar issue in a car wash with my 99' EG. Parked, washed the car, went to start it, and she was dead. Chased wires, got tired and handed it off to the local speed shop. Turned out to be a freyed wire grounding out in the engine bay I think on the drivers side where wires come into the engine bay from the fender well.

Users who are viewing this thread