Help A Noob Out! Paxton or TVS?

bigred2013

Established Member
Considering within the next year or so going FI on my '13 5.0. Current set up is Lethal Offroad H ( Soon To Be JBA 1-7/8 LT & O/R X ), Steeda 101MM Intake, BBR 93 Tune, GT500 Axleback. So no REAL power adders.

I've never delt with any kind of Forced Induction, whether it be Turbo, Centri, Roots, Etc.

I know i've heard these cars make verrrry reliable power off of a Paxton/Vortech, E85 and a good tune

So my question is, which is MORE reliable? Considering either doing the Paxton Package from Terry over at TeamBeefcake, or going the TVS Route, with the Phase 1 Roush Package which I believe is the 575HP pacakge from Hypermotive.

Just looking for opinions from people with both setups. Like I said, new to the FI game so.

Car will just be a street car, no track or drag racing lo! It's a DD as well so. About to clock 20k miles. Pretty much just something I can drive everyday, that makes good power, and could run, but won't wear out a motor fast.

watman02

Established Member
The torque and instant boost of the tvs would make it my choice. Especially being dd. I have driven centri cars and they run hard up top but low end wise u can't beat the tvs. Whats the cost difference?

bigred2013

Established Member
TVS Phase 1 Setup would be cheaper I believe. With everything. Lol. See i've never even driven a supercharged car lol! Must less a 5.0 with a TVS. I may be wrong, as I don't actually know what all is require, besides the obvious and tune, id1000s i'd assume

bigred2013

Established Member
The Roush Phase 1 575HP Calibrated Pckg is 6k, but I believe i'd probably need a bap and injectors. Idk. Lol.
The Paxton Kit w/ ID1000s is 4950

mystickb1996

Established Member
iv owned both types of blowers and hands down a twin screw or TVS. i own a 14 5.0 and when i do F/i i will no doubt go with a 2.3 tvs.. centi blowers are great for the track where you rpm stays high all the time but on the street they get old FAST. best way to describe it is its like when you want to feel the rush you literally have to ring the hell outa the car and bring it to 6k plus to make it move.. even at 550+ whp on my vortech cobra it felt fast only past 4500 rpm... hence the reason this weekend im putting a Kenne bell on :) lol
each to there own but after owning both i will stay with a twin screw or tvs on the street....only exception would be if i was building a track car with a f1a or v7 JT

bigred2013

Established Member
Yea. I've already talked to Jason Micallef over at Hypermotive Performance. Looking at doing a 2.3L TVS Roush.
Looked at doing the VMP Blower, simply because their ported, better cooling. But per his recommendation, being the car's a daily driven street car and won't be beat on all the time ( as far as track/racing goes ) it wouldn't be money well spend on the VMP Blower. But. Depends on what funds look like at the time I order.

Here's the link for the setup I will most likely be going with
http://shop.hypermotiveperformance....rcharger-Phase-1-575-HP-Calibrated-421388.htm

Getting a better deal than that though! Said should be good for 545-575rwhp, on a safe tune. Safe for the block.

That's my main concern. Daily drivability and longevitiy. I know it won't last as long, but. I'm easy on my car so! Hopefully no issues!

mikengail

Established Member
Go for the VMP TVS. They have a new promo code of VMPROCKS2 for SVTP forum members that's worth another 5% off their already competitive prices. If you have your own SCT X3 tuner, you would likely be looking at about $6032 plus shipping on a Stage-2 and about $5557 plus shipping on a Stage-1. I had a Stage-2 kit installed in my '12 5.0 A6 vert yesterday and should be getting it dyno'd today. Won't get to drive it, until this afternoon, but at least I'll be able to stay closer to the wife's '14 Shelby. Both of our cars are DD's. Call or email Justin or BJ at VMP. I don't think you'll regret it. Best bang for buck in serious low end/mid-range street power in my opinion. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Even as an owner of a Vortech supercharged Cobra, I say go for the TVS. Of course the upside to the centri is that it will be quite a bit easier to install and quite a bit less expensive.

Centri boosted cars can be VERY fast but to make a lot of midrange power you have to have a built motor to deal with how much power it will make on the top end.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
TVS FTW!!! I am currently running a Roush 575 phase 1 setup. Did that to get the extended warranty on the car. Their tune is so conservative however. If I were doing it all over again I would go anything but Roush. I've had some issues. Fuel Rail crossover line split on the car 6 weeks after installation right where its crimped on.Great response on the issue in that situation. Most other inquiries have been met with rudeness, no follow up, and excuses. I am quite sure the experience is quite different if you sign on the line for a 60K+ Roush Mustang RS3 setup.

So final comments? Anything but Roush...UNLESS of course you have deep pockets and buy their RS3 Mustang setup for 60+K. Then I am sure they treat you like a Lincoln owner. Edelbrock, VMP, Kennebell, Whipple... all great products.

Last edited:

rikb53

Established Member
I didn't have that issue on my 12' 5.0 with the Roush. bought the orig kit (540 hp) and later upgraded to the Phase III (675 hp) and haven't looked back. I've already paid for the car in a little over 2 yrs, and I've heard getting anyone to honor a warranty on a car w/ a blower is like getting Kate Upton to "beg" you for a date. i'm guess the installer may have a lot to do with it. if I was in VMP Territory - i'd have gone there but the shop that installed my blower was the dealer - so, they're pretty much on the hook (so to speak)............. but, that being said, if I had it to do all over again, i'd pop a Whipple 2.9 on top of that Coyote. but, as I said - go w/ a reputable install shop. I think that's the key here.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
I didn't have that issue on my 12' 5.0 with the Roush. bought the orig kit (540 hp) and later upgraded to the Phase III (675 hp) and haven't looked back. I've already paid for the car in a little over 2 yrs, and I've heard getting anyone to honor a warranty on a car w/ a blower is like getting Kate Upton to "beg" you for a date. i'm guess the installer may have a lot to do with it. if I was in VMP Territory - i'd have gone there but the shop that installed my blower was the dealer - so, they're pretty much on the hook (so to speak)............. but, that being said, if I had it to do all over again, i'd pop a Whipple 2.9 on top of that Coyote. but, as I said - go w/ a reputable install shop. I think that's the key here.

A Roush Ford dealer installed mine. The full package including the tune is Roush. Purchased the extended warranty for peace of mind. Whats $300 when you already dropped 7K after tax and install? Just curious. Could you PM me on what tune the car is running? Is a locally tuned setup? A factory Roush tune setup?

If I had it to do all over again I would have taken the Rose colored glasses off and bought the base model Ruby Red with auto I went to purchase to begin with. Then I'd had a platform that really works. Too bad. Ford should have stuck with the 3650 and the original clutch pedal setup that actually worked well in the 05-09 models. Any person that could not drive a 3650 Tremec needs to stick with paddle shift autos or front wheel drive cars.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
it s/b a factory Roush tune for the Stage III

The Roush Stage III has no offering for a powertrain warranty. Therefore the tune is very likely more aggressive all around, boost-s-pump, CAI, and 10-12psi pulley aside. I agree with you however. Had I to do it all over again, first I would buy an auto car knowing now what I know of the Getrag MT82. Second I would have gone Kennebell or Edelbrock. THanks for getting back. Guess I'll just deal with what I have for a while longer until I have run the course on my warranty I wasted $300 on. I've been in contact with VMP tuning and believe I will try Justin's tune in the near future. Already have the SCT tuner which I used to datalog trends and send to Roush. What good it did me. I can't wait to obtain the laser cut EATON logo I am having made by a friend who has a CNC Laser to put over the Roush emblem on that SC.

13BlackGT

Established Member
I have a stage 1 roush 575 kit and had it installed by a ford dealer. I really like the instant throttle response. I just got done putting 3.31 gears in, the 3.73 were way too much. I had the gears done at ford and they had fits with the roush tune trying to update the pcm with the new gear ratio.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
I have a stage 1 roush 575 kit and had it installed by a ford dealer. I really like the instant throttle response. I just got done putting 3.31 gears in, the 3.73 were way too much. I had the gears done at ford and they had fits with the roush tune trying to update the pcm with the new gear ratio.

Not surprised. You're just an after market add on consumer who spent 6K on an SC kit. And yes the 3.73 gear with the Getrag MT82 is way to short a gear for a TVS system. I have been very happy retaining the 3.31 and going to a 285/40/18 tire which is a bout an inch shorter than the 19" that came on it. Thankfully I was able to make sure that information was able to get to Roush during my upgrade so they got the rotations per mile correct so the speedo would read correctly when it was being originally programmed.

If my next two steps fail me on resolving my issues, I'm trading mine for an 07-09 GT500 stick shift or a 13 auto and finding a deal on an Edelbrock or Kennebell or VMP setup. Of course if that elusive 04 Screamin Yellow SVT would find me I'd go that route too. I nice forged three valve with the meat grinder already on it would be nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread