Help after Ford service 100k mile tune up

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Sounds like improper burping procedure.
Yes, I agree with this. The very first time I changed my coolant I did not know about the bung at the crossover tube. I was letting the car idle and noticed coolant overflowed and car went into limp mode. Hard lesson to learn, but nothing wrong other than not burping the system properly.

Would driving it for about ten minutes yesterday. Damage anything. ? I didn’t know anything was wrong until I got on it a bit at 30mph
Based on my experience, I do not think you hurt the car. These cars go into limp mode for various reasons (i.e. coolant issues, charging issues, etc.). And that's the reason they go into limp mode. Too protect the engine/various systems.

I think you just need to burp the cooling system properly and your car will be back to normal.

2004roush

Established Member
Yes, I agree with this. The very first time I changed my coolant I did not know about the bung at the crossover tube. I was letting the car idle and noticed coolant overflowed and car went into limp mode. Hard lesson to learn, but nothing wrong other than not burping the system properly.

Based on my experience, I do not think you hurt the car. These cars go into limp mode for various reasons (i.e. coolant issues, charging issues, etc.). And that's the reason they go into limp mode. Too protect the engine/various systems.

I think you just need to burp the cooling system properly and your car will be back to normal.
Thank you !

2004roush

Established Member
I came home from work. Coolant was pretty much all over garage floor and empty reservoir. I’m not happy. The dealership is gonna be flatbed towing it tomorrow am. What is wrong with this? Ford service dept. seriously

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I came home from work. Coolant was pretty much all over garage floor and empty reservoir. I’m not happy. The dealership is gonna be flatbed towing it tomorrow am. What is wrong with this? Ford service dept. seriously

wow. that is absolutely ridiculous.

i'm gonna go against the grain with what a few people said here and say that this screw up of theirs may turn out to be extremely bad even catastrophic for your engine. any overheating event esp to engines with aluminum cylinder heads like ours can result in permanent damage. it does not much to warp the head or damage the head gasket when temps go up around to 230-240 or more.

so unless they put in a brand new engine (which i doubt that they will do), for the next year or so you are going to have to keep an eye *and i mean an eagle eye* on your coolant reservoir for ANY sign of spraying from the cap. what happens is a defect in the head gasket forms from an overheating event that will seem fine under normal driving, and it may not lose coolant normally, but under load it leaks exhaust gases into the cooling system and pressurize it which sprays out from the cap.

i know that i sound very doom and gloom and i hate to say all this but it sounds really bad to me. (and the fact that it happened at a ford dealership makes it that much worse.) best of luck with it

2004roush

Established Member
wow. that is absolutely ridiculous.

i'm gonna go against the grain with what a few people said here and say that this screw up of theirs may turn out to be extremely bad even catastrophic for your engine. any overheating event esp to engines with aluminum cylinder heads like ours can result in permanent damage. it does not much to warp the head or damage the head gasket when temps go up around to 230-240 or more.

so unless they put in a brand new engine (which i doubt that they will do), for the next year or so you are going to have to keep an eye *and i mean an eagle eye* on your coolant reservoir for ANY sign of spraying from the cap. what happens is a defect in the head gasket forms from an overheating event that will seem fine under normal driving, and it may not lose coolant normally, but under load it leaks exhaust gases into the cooling system and pressurize it which sprays out from the cap.

i know that i sound very doom and gloom and i hate to say all this but it sounds really bad to me. (and the fact that it happened at a ford dealership makes it that much worse.) best of luck with it
When I came home last night after the drive. I noticed the engine bay did have coolant all over the battery and tray and top of reservoir

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yeah, but that was obvious because of the overheating event.

i am talking about after they fix it. if you ever see even the slightest evidence of it spraying from the cap, it is because the hg's have probably been damaged.

you still did not say whether or not you noticed the temperature gauge while you were driving it and it was bogging. did you?

Roush6018

Established Member
i want to say your BOG has to do with a sensor failing. even though it sounds like the cooling system was not properly drained and refilled ( usually people skip steps to have the job done quicker)

i think you possibly broke a hole in the hose on the Y Junction between the 2 fuel pumps. the car will still run but the high fuel pressure (under boost) will leak into the gas tank.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
it wasnt properly burped the first time, it still wasn't burped and it was driven again... car should NOT be driven until properly burped from the crossover plug. It usually took me 3 rounds of get it to operating temp, cool down and top off before it was full.

improper burping and the plugs need a tighter gap.

2004roush

Established Member
yeah, but that was obvious because of the overheating event.

i am talking about after they fix it. if you ever see even the slightest evidence of it spraying from the cap, it is because the hg's have probably been damaged.

you still did not say whether or not you noticed the temperature gauge while you were driving it and it was bogging. did you?
I’ll be honest. I wasn’t looking at it. But I have driven it all week and would go out to garage to look at it and when I did last night it was hotter then it had been all week. I was upset and wasn’t thinking clearly. Sorry

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I’ll be honest. I wasn’t looking at it. But I have driven it all week and would go out to garage to look at it and when I did last night it was hotter then it had been all week. I was upset and wasn’t thinking clearly. Sorry

dont be sorry just wondering. and i would be madder than hell too, shit. but hopefully no permanent damage was done, and you can enjoy the car. they really are a lot of fun

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

There’s YouTube videos on how to properly burp the system if you want to DIY.

I don’t trust dealerships/shops for anything other than inspection for reasons like this.

Most of them just don’t know the proper procedures or the little nuances these cars have.

That’s why this forum exists; it’s a great resource.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Recall a headache with a blown head gasket on my 04 Cobra. I'm also sure that is the cause. I used elctrical tape and taped a funnel to the crossover tube and no matter how long I left it on there bubbles kept coming and I had coolant coming out of the exhaust. Unfortunatly you don't know if any damage has been done with the overheating. I'd stay the course with them now till it's 100% because as mentioned they are liable at the moment.

dan1982

Established Member
compression/leakdown test..... then fix it. At this point.. you HAVE TO verify that a headgasket isnt compromised and no damage was done right? ONLY a compression and leakdown test can verify this. It would be worth it to find someone that knows what he is doing or learn how to do this yourself. You can do a compression test yourself. You WILL NEED an air source for the leakdown........ here is a compression test. Then a leakdown..

Last edited:

ZiaRunner

Established Member
I hope everything turns out good for you! I’d make sure they run the leak down and compression and ensure nothing is seriously compromised.

dan1982

Established Member
Furthermore.. if you go to a ford dealership. IF ANYTHING is found wrong relating to the head(s).. A ford dealership will want to replace with a full/completely assembled new head. If you go with an independant shop that is SKILLED/specialized they can probably isolate and send the head off for repair. Thing is... you DONT wanna start just plugging parts into it is what im getting at. A skilled tech is invaluable. You need an expert. Either that, or spend the next few years becoming one yourself. Good luck bro..... It might not be what you want to hear, but i promise you its the truth. Honestly.... i would contact the owner of that dealership/complain.. document the carnage and TRY to get as much money back as i could and commit elsewhere. Put everything u got into finding an expert. Dont let that dealership hack the car up even more. They did it ONCE already. If you are in Ohio.... maybe give these guys a call. They seem to specialize in mustangs. worth a shot/phone call and to see what they say is the path foward. Im 100 percent sure the comp/leakdown is first on the list though. Paul's Automotive Engineering

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the weird thing is that dealerships usually use an expensive vacuum fluid exchange machine to do a coolant flush, which is the preferred method and would not have caused this problem.

the only way this could have happened is if the tech manually drained the fluid but then refilled it only on the reservoir side and not at the crossover bung.

either that, or he didn't use the machine correctly.

edit: @vr4 can you confirm this? why would a dealership tech ever manually drain and fill a cooling system

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread