help choose my gears

STL5OHSLOW

Established Member
I have a vortech v3 kit with longtubes boss intake and 373 gears right now. Went to the track friday night and i have to shift into fifth. I would like to be able to pull through the trap in fourth gear. I run a 28 inch tall hoosier qtp. My question is should i just drop it to 355 or should i step down to 331 gears?

Voltwings

Established Member
3.31 you'll finish in 3rd with a 28" tire if you're willing to rev, and you got torque to make up for the longer gear

BornCoqui

Established Member
I think you'll find the 3.55's to work best for you.

3.55's with 28" tire at 7200 rpm = 128 mph in fourth

3.31's with 28" tire at 7200 rpm = 137 mph in fourth

Not sure what you wind it out to but thought that might help you out a little bit.

STL5OHSLOW

Established Member
well 3.73 at 7500 rpm was 128.80 and i still had to roll about 100 foot...so i was hoping 3.55 would be ok just idk...I think im gonna throw a set of 3.55 to start and go from there...if it works great if not ill switch to 3.31

BornCoqui

Established Member
well 3.73 at 7500 rpm was 128.80 and i still had to roll about 100 foot...so i was hoping 3.55 would be ok just idk...I think im gonna throw a set of 3.55 to start and go from there...if it works great if not ill switch to 3.31

I guess i missed the part were you had a boss intake.. Heres some number accounting for your redline.

3.31 = 143 @ 7500

3.55 = 133 @ 7500

kingnut

Established Member
definitely 331's. why waste the time over barely going down from 373 to 355. also in the future you are going to UP the boost and eventually blow up your motor. which means more boost after a built motor.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
I did the unconventional route of going to 3.27s. Im thinking more along the line of when I build the block though. Should be somewhat comparable to the 3.31s, just a lil more in each gear 4-6mph.

STL5OHSLOW

Established Member
My only thing with dropping to 331 is I don't want the car to be slower. I think in theory that gear will better suit the car and make the car run better and stronger because it will be in its power band much longer but with that being said, im worried at the track it wont reflect in my times. I could be wrong but before I build my motor and add more boost I wanna get as fast as possible out of this setup and im worried 331 will take me away from that. I went 11.0 aand rolled the last 100 foot I don't wanna go 11.2 because I switched to 331 if you get my drift

Baysixx

Established Member
3.31 will not help you with your et. I think 3.55 would work well with your set up and you would cross the line almost at the top of 4th. Better than the top of 3rd/bottom of 4th IMO

Voltwings

Established Member
Gotta decide if you want to be "quick," or if you want to be "fast," and that will determine your gear. 3.31 is a monster street gear, but you're right, doesn't really reflect too well at the track. If I had a 28" tire I may be able to crack high 11's instead of mid 12's, but I didn't build my car for the track so that's the sacrifice I'm having to make.

In my mind a car that performs well on the street /= a car that performs well at the track, and vice versa. Sure a Z06 runs 11's stock and is a street monster, but I've seen gutted all motor civics run high 11's @ 100 mph... not exactly what I'd call a monster street car... If you've got the torque to pull through a 3.31, I think that would be your best bet.

twistedneck

Established Member
Gotta decide if you want to be "quick," or if you want to be "fast," and that will determine your gear. 3.31 is a monster street gear, but you're right, doesn't really reflect too well at the track. If I had a 28" tire I may be able to crack high 11's instead of mid 12's, but I didn't build my car for the track so that's the sacrifice I'm having to make.

In my mind a car that performs well on the street /= a car that performs well at the track, and vice versa. Sure a Z06 runs 11's stock and is a street monster, but I've seen gutted all motor civics run high 11's @ 100 mph... not exactly what I'd call a monster street car... If you've got the torque to pull through a 3.31, I think that would be your best bet.

I agree Voltwings especially with our unique transmission ratios. I went to a 3.15 gear but that's because I run a real short 26" tire. a good street car with big power does not need a short gear and you would need a huge sticky tire to even think about using it. maybe a 335 BFG rival or better yet a NT01 if you want to corner, or your existing 28" Hoosier for straight line only.

Users who are viewing this thread