Help choosing gears for manual

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Me. Installed a 3.90 in my car weekend before last and they are quieter than the factory 3.73 that was in the car.

I used the Jegs complete kit and it worked great.

JEGS Performance Products 60019K JEGS Ford Ring & Pinion Sets and Kits

Details here:

Getting ready for..... - Page 3

For the M6 the best choice gear is the 3.90. Shifting into 5th is just a bad idea. I witnessed an MT-82 go south at the track with a driver using 5th. Also less chance of a missed shift. :beer:

Good info.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I could not imagine going any shorter than the 3.73's, as to me they are very short combo'd with the trans gearing. 5th gear at 45-50mph you are at 2k rpms. 1st gear seems as short as 05' with 4.10's.

KonaGT

Established Member
True. I originally wanted 3.73s and a few of my friends wanted me to go with 4.10s so 3.90s would be the inbetween lol. I'm still confused though as to why we don't want to use 5th in the quarter.

The less times you shift gives you less chance to make a mistake, and also stay in the throttle more. For the average Joe extra shifts don't equal better e.t. at the track.

Silver5Oh

Established Member
you gotta realize too, as steep as this tranny is geared (lol) 3.73's are probally gonna feel like 4.10's in the other mustangs. I'd say go with 4.10's tho. With 3.73's i was shifting into 5th right before the traps at 117-118mph.

wbt

Banned
you gotta realize too, as steep as this tranny is geared (lol) 3.73's are probally gonna feel like 4.10's in the other mustangs. I'd say go with 4.10's tho. With 3.73's i was shifting into 5th right before the traps at 117-118mph.

You need to run a taller tire. 27.6" or better. ;)

3.73 is more akin to a 4.30 back in the T-5 days.

My car running 11.63@118 in 4th with a 3.73:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWRwi-yaZFw"]2011 Mustang GT 11.63@118 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Good point. I was just under the impression that you wanted to be in your 1:1 going through the quarter

"Old school thinking". :) Gear ratios in the MT-82 are a game changer.

id have no issue doing 4.56's with a 2011 6 speed NA car

dont fear the gear man!

I agree not to fear the gear but there is a limit. The quickest N/A M6 2011+ GT's are staying in 4th through the 1/4 mile. 3.90 is optimal with a 28" tire.

Last edited:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
so what did you gain going from 3.73 to 3.90? I'm currently shifting out of 4th at roughly 122-124mph with 3.31s and a 26.6" tire. Also, I have the brembo package and was wondering if I can fit a 15" race star on the rear or do I need to go 16"?

wbt

Banned
so what did you gain going from 3.73 to 3.90? I'm currently shifting out of 4th at roughly 122-124mph with 3.31s and a 26.6" tire. Also, I have the brembo package and was wondering if I can fit a 15" race star on the rear or do I need to go 16"?

I haven't been to the track since the 3.90 install which was 2 weeks ago. I am moving to a bigger tire hence my change to the 3.90 to support it. I don't expect any gains from the gear change. I was using a 3.73 with a 27.6" tire and will be running a 3.90 with a 28" tire.

The rear brakes are the same on the Brembo cars vs. non-Brembo so a 15" wheel will fit. If you want to run a 10" wide rim you will need rear sway bar relocation brackets. For rims I would recommend the Weld RT-S. They are a little more expensive than other options but worth every penny IMO.

Hope that helps. :beer:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I haven't been to the track since the 3.90 install which was 2 weeks ago. I am moving to a bigger tire hence my change to the 3.90 to support it. I don't expect any gains from the gear change. I was using a 3.73 with a 27.6" tire and will be running a 3.90 with a 28" tire.

The rear brakes are the same on the Brembo cars vs. non-Brembo so a 15" wheel will fit. If you want to run a 10" wide rim you will need rear sway bar relocation brackets. For rims I would recommend the Weld RT-S. They are a little more expensive than other options but worth every penny IMO.

Hope that helps. :beer:

I'd probably go with a 28" tire as well. A friend of mine has a drag pack for his mach 1 and I can just borrow his rear wheels which works great. Eventually I'll probably get a full drag pack for the car when I run nitrous. Thanks for all the help man.

wbt

Banned
I'd probably go with a 28" tire as well. A friend of mine has a drag pack for his mach 1 and I can just borrow his rear wheels which works great. Eventually I'll probably get a full drag pack for the car when I run nitrous. Thanks for all the help man.

Anytime!

Good luck and stay safe. :rockon:

nordy racer

Established Member
what are guys running in Auto's? the car would get a blower down the road but will be a DD for a little bit of its life.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
This is a good read. I just brought home my manual with 3:73's yesterday and the thing has a lot more jump than I anticipated. Very happy.

H8SUGR

Still a Rookie...
Established Member
Very good information in this thread. I would like to see what 4.30s feel like on a more or less stock street car. I understand the fear of shifting for most people at the track.

Also wbt that was a great read on your gear install and choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread