Help! Cobra died and won't start or run KOEO test????

delvin.a

Established Member
I have the cover off but the battery was dead when I got home and by the time I got a hold of a working charger it was late. Its charged now so this afternoon I'll try it sans chip.

delvin.a

Established Member
Took the chip out and no start.

Got another relay and fuel turned on but I'm still not getting it to start.

I've got spark and fuel, could it be the EEC relay? I'm waiting for another fuel pump relay to come this afternoon.

buddha93

Established Member
So wait a second. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? In other words, before you had no fuel pump prime, etc, so what got you that back? The relay or removing the chip?

If it was the chip, then there is you issue and the reason it won't start is more than likely it's flooding due to the larger injectors..........mat the gas and hold it there to take car of that problem.

If the relay brought the pump back to life, try reinstalling the chip and see if it won't start then.

delvin.a

Established Member
The relay brought back the pump, I had the chip out and no start and chip back in again no start.

When I went to connect the code reader and run the process the pumps didn't prime and it wouldn't run any test. I disconnected the scanner and turned the key to ignition and no pumps. I then shook the new relays and the pumps came on. Now when I turn the key on it won't run the pumps unless I tap the relay. The couple times I tried to start it before the code reader try came on fine. Is the code reader popping my relays?

I'm really confused I've tested all the ignition stuff swapped distributors.

Did I mention it has a MSD ignition box? Could that be keeping it from running tests? I have spark at the plugs.

delvin.a

Established Member
About the fuselinks, is there a way to tell if they are bad without cutting into the harness?

All of em are stiff, is that a good thing?

buddha93

Established Member
Use a continutity tester. If they aren't burned through, they're fine.

If your wiggling or tapping the relay, it sounds as if the issue lies there, but you said you replaced them.

delvin.a

Established Member
Yep, replaced em and now they are out again. I can't imagine what is causing them to trip. The only change was the code reader, before it they worked after it they stopped working unless I turn the key on and tap them.

Thanks for the help

red95gts

Established Member
You've got the cart before the horse. If the EEC isn't initializing, the fuel pump should be the least of your concerns.

Does the EEC Power relay click when you turn the ignition to "on"?
Does the Check Engine Light flash 4 times?
Can you pull KOEO codes from the EEC?

If the answer to any of these is no, I would recommend you forget about the FP relay for now and focus on fixing this.

delvin.a

Established Member
The answer to those is indeed no, does that mean I've gotta EEC relay issue, or a fuselink issue? Is the computer itself out?

buddha93

Established Member
The relays are nothing more that switches, so they aren't tripping in the sense like a breaker or fuse. They're either open or closed. What I can't figure out is why tapping on them would do anything unless there was a wiring issue where they plug into the harness.

I'm assuming you've checked all of your grounds?

red95gts

Established Member
If your EEC relay doesn't click when you turn the key, this is why the computer isn't turning on. I don't have schematics in front of me, but I believe that is a direct feed from the ignition switch to the relay, so maybe you've got an ignition switch problem?

I would recommend getting a voltmeter and start tracking the voltage back from the source to the ignition switch, switch to the EEC relay, and so on...

Good Luck

delvin.a

Established Member
I'm getting power at the red/green wire leading into the EEC relay, I'm also getting power at the fp relay red wire. The relay is getting power and sending power out.

I followed the red wire to the MAF and found this
44ca6078.jpg

That can't be good. Could that be causing my no start/no test condition?

buddha93

Established Member
Not good, but not your answer either.

You said you've got spark, but do you have fuel yet?

delvin.a

Established Member
No fuel yet because I can't get a new relay until tomorrow.

The more I think about it I wonder if it is the computer that has gone bad because of the dim cel and the fact that I'm getting power to the ecu. Does that sound crazy? I'm gonna order a new pigtail for obvious reasons (I've noted a reduction in idle quality lately) and I'll pop the new fuel relay in.

Oh an interesting thing to note is that when it popped the relay yesterday it popped both the fuel and wot ac relay, both are new (that is what the identical relay is right?)

It keeps me thinking that it is the ecu going haywire

buddha93

Established Member
See my above post about the relays. They are not fuses.

The EEC will initalize the FP relay before startup, so if it's not doing so, I'd be looking at that.

Users who are viewing this thread