Help! Cobra died and won't start or run KOEO test????

WillyB93

Established Member
Man it looks like you found a mess, Hope you get it figured out, seems to be a bad week for electrical problems, my work truck several trailers this week and my buddy's work truck too.

delvin.a

Established Member
Right, I knew that too. (Buddha)

I'm still confused by the relays working before the code scanner but then not working after.

I'm just gonna buy an ecu from the auto parts store and see what happens. I'll just take it back if nothing happens

Man tell me about it, I can't figure this thing out

delvin.a

Established Member
Update:
I ran this
Tests
Remove FP relay from socket:
1. Jumper from PNK/BLY to DGRN/YEL. Pump runs yes/no? (key can be on or off, doesnt matter)
2. Jumper from RED to LBLU/ORG. Pump runs yes/no? (key must be on)
3. Check continuity of LBLU/ORG to GND. Connect ohmeter between LBLU/ORG and GND then turn key to ON. Continuity should be for 1-2sec then open.

Came out like this: 1. Pump on 2. No pump 3. Chck out as deceived

buddha93

Established Member
I know your working on an EEC, but have you tried a self-test yet...........no code scanner?

delvin.a

Established Member
Took it to my buddy's shop and it is the ecu that has gone bad.

Sooo, Anyone have a used 93 Cobra ecu?
That works

Also If i was to find an A9L can I just swao the chip over and be good? or will I need a re-tune?

Last edited:

fivestangs

Established Member
Also If i was to find an A9L can I just swao the chip over and be good? or will I need a re-tune?

Are you running a stock '93 Cobra MAF? If so, I would think you will need to swap to a stock 5.0 MAF since any non X3Z ecu will have a different MAF curve in it. If you have an aftermarket MAF, you might be able to get away with just putting the chip in the A9L and running it that way.

Mark

delvin.a

Established Member
It's a C&L meter. I actually called my tuner (gearheads in Arlington tx) and they actually have a cobra ecu. I'm gonna head over after work, I'll post the results tonight. Maybe a qtr mile time also ;)

delvin.a

Established Member
I talked to my tuner and he says an a9l will work just fine with the chip in it. Anybody have any contradictory information?

buddha93

Established Member
Only if he retunes it. It has different parameters in it. Why pay for a retune when all you need to do is get a new EEC.

delvin.a

Established Member
I put the a9l in and it's running again seems to be fine. I retarded the timing to 10* an I'm gonna get a dyno session in this week to verify everything and I'm putting a lightning MAF on at the same time.

I appreciate all the help Buddha and everybody else, big ups fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread