Help: Deciding on buying used or new golf cart.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes, 6 Trojan batteries can cost up to that. I primarily golf at my local course it's only about a mile from my house.

I'm leaning towards a used one. Found a 09 Yamaha, 1 owner. They are asking 3,350.

Buy that one. Yamaha makes really nice carts. EZ-GO is bottom of the barrel. Club-Car is right in the middle. We have 4 in the family; 2 Club-Car DS models, a Club-Car Precedent, and a very special one you'll see here on the site sometime in the future.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Used.

We picked up a used electric EZ-GO a few years back to keep at our beach house. It gets used constantly for 6 months out of the year and was a little more than half the cost of a new one.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well the 09 Yamaha has original batteries yet. If seller will take 2800 cash I'll buy it.

I also found a 2013 ez-go txt which is only 15 miles away. That's a used cart place, they have it listed at 3500.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have cheaper batteries from O'Rieley's (so) and they have lasted 5 years. That's about the limit of Pb/acid if you actually use them. I think I paid $85 each for them. I'm going to try to make it through the summer on them. My new cart has AGM batteries that I don't even want to think about having to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

08mojo

Established Member
Why not gas?

The 0% financing makes it seem appealing, but like others I'd have a hard time shelling out $7-8k for a new golf cart when i can get a used one in good shape for half of that price.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Why not gas?

The 0% financing makes it seem appealing, but like others I'd have a hard time shelling out $7-8k for a new golf cart when i can get a used one in good shape for half of that price.

I vote gas as well. Seems like when it's time to sell you have to put batteries in or nobody will buy it. Gas karts here move easily. Unless his course won't let him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Gas have there own issues. Routine maintenance, they are loud, if the clutches go or other problems your looking at 2k or more. They are small engines, so more up keep.

Electric is really only the batteries.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd go electric in a heartbeat.

My grandfather bought two last year. He went used, but they had less than 20 hours on them. They look like the AC Cobras. A red/white and a white/blue...pretty sweet.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I went at looked at 2012 EZ GO TXT today, and a place that sells carts. I couldn't believe the 3,500 dollar price tag with all the scratches it had. Also the steering wheel was not straight while driving. They wouldn't budge much on price.

The one show below is one I can hopefully look at tomorrow and put a deposit down so the owner will hold it until Friday. That's the soonest I can get a trailer. It's a 1 owner, 2009 Yamaha electric drive. He's asking 3,350 and his bottom dollar is 3k. I'm a little skeptical because the batteries are original. But he stated they can last a long time if well maintained. He stated it's flawless.

Pictures make it look like light purple, he assured me it's gray.
1488504311389_zpszbfio0wf.gif

1488503635587_zpsuecusrgi.gif

1488503627415_zpskjqreuos.gif

1488503624060_zps54fgmlkl.gif

1488503618839_zpsjhuem0tq.gif

nxhappy

Established Member
that's a cool little cart, I like those wheels

maybe take your battery tester and check it out ...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Batteries are usually done after 5-6 years max even properly maintained. Yes some will go longer. What you will find is they are strong when fully charged and they will make the full 18 holes but they will start slowing down after about #6
That does appear to be a nice well kept cart and I would spend a little more on one I can tell was well maintained. Even with a $7-800 set of batteries you are in it for 3800 and it should last.
Hope the batteries last a year and spend the 800 next year where it won't seem like a shock on the wallet.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I didn't go look at it. I just don't feel like traveling and having to haul it back. There is a local place that does custom upholstery and they sell carts. Below is similar to what he gets. EZ GO RXZ. Minus the wheels and seats. I might add the custom black seats with red stitching and eventually wheels.

IMAG1708_zps8963nu6j.gif

IMAG1706_zpsq1tmrxlk.gif

Troponin

Established Member
Hmmm, that is a tough choice. I am a member at one of the local courses so I get the carts for free, and the other course I just rent it. After figuring in maintenance costs etc, it was cheaper that way. I had looked in to buying and I just couldn't justify the cost at all.

That being said, if you are going around to different courses and aren't a member at any of them, I guess that would make buying a little more appealing.

Let us know what you end up doing. I have always been curious about how long those batteries actually last.

Users who are viewing this thread