Help for tail light scratches

ponygirl06

Established Member
I just noticed a bunch of scratches on my tail lights. Each of the lights have several scratches at the bottom of the light where the light angles down. I only hand wash the car using the two bucket method with grit guards. I don't wear rings and take my watch off if I'm cleaning the car. I've never taken it to a car wash or used a pressure washer. The scratches are on all six of the angled part of my lights to various degrees. You can see them on the right light on this photo.
AAE77E9A-2D5F-44A1-9990-605EBA4D9FCE-9495-00000D2047EBF6A3_zps0bb6c842.jpg

Visibility differs depending on the light, you can see the in the left one in this photo.
17C05BE2-3A7C-425F-A2B5-F00480DB587D-9495-00000D2039A970AA_zps018417f2.jpg

How easy do the lights scratch? I use detailing spray and waterless car wash but I'm careful about not using a dirty microfiber towel on my paint. It is possible I used a towel that I wouldn't use on my paint on the lights not realizing they scratch easily, I don't really remember. To clarify, sometimes you spray and wipe and the towel shows some dust, but no visible specs of dirt. If a towel was black with dirt or had visible specs of dirt I wouldn't use it on anything. What can I use to try and fix the lights? I don't have a polisher so I need something I can do by hand. How can I help protect the lights in the future, besides being extra careful about my microfiber towels? Is there a wax or sealant that will protect the plastic?

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
If you lightly go over the top of the scratch with your finger nail...can you feel
a divot or does it feel like a bump?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd find the least visible area and try some of that plastic/lens polish.
It sounds like you are doing everything right, no sure why that's happening.
What are you drying it with?
-J

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
Options:
If the scratch has a divot..nothing you can do except for a good lens polish and/or
some touch-up paint...but would make more sense to replace the lens.

If the scratch feels slightly raised you can use any good wax with a very mild cleaner..but go slow and dont use too much pressure or youll get spider web scratches which frankly are almost impossible to avoid over time with our rear lights, black panel etc. I would avoid a lens polish because the grit content is too high.

If the scratch is niether a divot or rasied and looks like hair or a spider web.
I would simply use a microfiber towel and a spray synthetic wax like turtle ice.
This will hide it..not repair it of course.

Yes these lights are sensitive. I choose to use my electric blower to dry, then lightly
use my chamois to remove any water spots.
Sounds like your doing the right things.
Wash your wash mit and your drying towel after every carwash...sand in your wash mit or drying towel is the number #1 reason for spider webs or light scratches.

Last edited:

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
I had some light ones before I hap my whole car professionally buffed and Opti-Guarded a month ago and I just hand polished them with a microfiber and Menzerna 1500 (a medium to fine cut compound) and they came out easy. Start with a fine (light) option and then use little more abrasive one if needed but just light motion across (opposite) the scratches and they should largely disappear.

Phantom

El Jeffe 302
Established Member
Had the on my 13 Boss, used Meg's UC and they are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I use whatever quality car wash is on sale (I have Meguires now) and use the 2 bucket technique with 2 microfiber mits, 1 for the top/sides, another for the lower body/wheels.
I actually enjoy washing/detailing the car and its nice to start with a new ride and challenge to keep it that way.
-J

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
i'm a fan of the "never use quick detailer sprays unless you are finishing off after a wash." even the smallest amount of dust will leave scratches or swirls like that. i avoid waterless washes. if i'm going to rub microfiber towels on the paint, i'm washing it 100% first. the smallest crap you don't get off with waterless or dusters can leave swirls.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I just noticed a bunch of scratches on my tail lights. Each of the lights have several scratches at the bottom of the light where the light angles down. I only hand wash the car using the two bucket method with grit guards. I don't wear rings and take my watch off if I'm cleaning the car. I've never taken it to a car wash or used a pressure washer. The scratches are on all six of the angled part of my lights to various degrees. You can see them on the right light on this photo.
AAE77E9A-2D5F-44A1-9990-605EBA4D9FCE-9495-00000D2047EBF6A3_zps0bb6c842.jpg

Visibility differs depending on the light, you can see the in the left one in this photo.
17C05BE2-3A7C-425F-A2B5-F00480DB587D-9495-00000D2039A970AA_zps018417f2.jpg

How easy do the lights scratch? I use detailing spray and waterless car wash but I'm careful about not using a dirty microfiber towel on my paint. It is possible I used a towel that I wouldn't use on my paint on the lights not realizing they scratch easily, I don't really remember. To clarify, sometimes you spray and wipe and the towel shows some dust, but no visible specs of dirt. If a towel was black with dirt or had visible specs of dirt I wouldn't use it on anything. What can I use to try and fix the lights? I don't have a polisher so I need something I can do by hand. How can I help protect the lights in the future, besides being extra careful about my microfiber towels? Is there a wax or sealant that will protect the plastic?

This product will make them go bye-bye! I've used this on my buds winter car last year (he couldn't see out his headlights) lens looked new when I was done...
Plastic Polish, 8 Ounces - Griot's Garage

Trick is to use very light pressure and about 2 or 3 applications will make them disappear! Once their perfect use a sealant or wax to protect...;-)

Mysstic96

Established Member
Has anyone had water spots that they can seem to get off the tail light plastic? I don't want to damage the plastic for how much they cost to replace. I see comments on using Meg's UC, 3M Cleaner, and Giot's Plastic cleaner. Will have to expirement. Any more help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ky GT500

Established Member
I have used Meguires Scratch X on my tail lights and the black corners on the wife's '13 Explorer with good results.

Users who are viewing this thread