HELP! Front struts blown out 2013 GT w/ BMR springs

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Put the stock springs back on and take it in for warrenty replacement, in theory you either did something wrong during spring install or the struts were bad from the factory. The call is on you, I would take it in for warrenty and replace then put the lowering springs back on making sure I did it properly this time. If it fails again then it is the spring and the spring company should be responsible. Just my opinion.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune thought, seems like something that would happen to me.

Colby

How do you screw up a spring install? They only go in one way. :lol1:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
My buddy is an ASE cert tech that works on imports all day long, and used to work on Land Rovers. He knows how to change a spring/strut like the back of his hand.

The only thing we did differently was reuse the factory mounts, of which BMR does NOT recommend.

And just got off the phone with the only dealer up here that does carry Ford Racing parts, and they don't have the struts in stock....****.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
My buddy is an ASE cert tech that works on imports all day long, and used to work on Land Rovers. He knows how to change a spring/strut like the back of his hand.

The only thing we did differently was reuse the factory mounts, of which BMR does NOT recommend.

And just got off the phone with the only dealer up here that does carry Ford Racing parts, and they don't have the struts in stock....****.

I made a thread for you on our site to get the vendors attention. Maybe we can get someone to help you out D. I know one of them has Koni yellows and STR's in stock. Dave runs the Koni's and really likes them.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I made a thread for you on our site to get the vendors attention. Maybe we can get someone to help you out D. I know one of them has Koni yellows and STR's in stock. Dave runs the Koni's and really likes them.
Only thing is my parents come into town tomorrow evening. I really don't feel like hearing my dad lecture me on modifying my car, but I guess I might have to face the choir on this one.

I want to go back to a factory strut, just because it can be done RIGHT now, but at the same time, this is an opportunity to get some aftermarket struts, but I will have to wait...

It will be $475 installed for new factory struts. If I supply my own, $220 labor plus the cost of the new struts...

altispeed

Established Member
Sportlines with factory shocks/struts/mounts just turned 33k with the springs. Total milage on car 43k.....Built Ford tough

87hatchy

Established Member
Only thing is my parents come into town tomorrow evening. I really don't feel like hearing my dad lecture me on modifying my car, but I guess I might have to face the choir on this one.

I want to go back to a factory strut, just because it can be done RIGHT now, but at the same time, this is an opportunity to get some aftermarket struts, but I will have to wait...

It will be $475 installed for new factory struts. If I supply my own, $220 labor plus the cost of the new struts...

Your not going to try getting them fixed under warranty?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Sportlines with factory shocks/struts/mounts just turned 33k with the springs. Total milage on car 43k.....Built Ford tough
This right here makes me think that something happened out of the oridinary. My struts should have not done this.

Because so many people keep saying that they are on stock struts, I want to tell myself that I will be fine putting a new stock strut back in.

If anything, I'll order some new struts, and have them sitting around in case something happens.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Your not going to try getting them fixed under warranty?
Service advisor said that since the car was lowered, they can't do warranty.

For all we know these struts could be defective, but why they never blew before, who knows. Maybe lowering the car just put the defect over the edge? Won't know until they strut is taken apart what exactly caused the failure.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
This right here makes me think that something happened out of the oridinary. My struts should have not done this.

Because so many people keep saying that they are on stock struts, I want to tell myself that I will be fine putting a new stock strut back in.

If anything, I'll order some new struts, and have them sitting around in case something happens.

Dave said he has some stock stuff laying around. He is going to check for ya. I sent Caleb a text as well, he always has a bunch of stuff.

OddConsonants

Established Member
Highly rec the Konis and GT500 mounts dude! The peace of mind is worth it alone. Not much of a premium ($$$). But whichever way you go, hope it works out for you guy!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Highly rec the Konis and GT500 mounts dude! The peace of mind is worth it alone. Not much of a premium ($$$). But whichever way you go, hope it works out for you guy!
I'm thinking of just ordering this setup, for the front only, and just waiting to see if the factory strut fails again...

ViciousJay

Established Member
Service advisor said that since the car was lowered, they can't do warranty.

For all we know these struts could be defective, but why they never blew before, who knows. Maybe lowering the car just put the defect over the edge? Won't know until they strut is taken apart what exactly caused the failure.

Why the hell did you say you were modded :bash:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Well somewhat of an update. I talked with the service advisor, and I mentioned to him that the springs have been on MAYBE 150 miles total as I installed them Saturday morning. He said the tech didn't see anything out of the ordinary with installation when he reviewed them earlier, so that proves that everything was installed correctly. He is going to mention the fact that they are basically still fresh, and get back with me...

keeping my fingers crossed I catch a break...

Users who are viewing this thread