HELP! Front struts blown out 2013 GT w/ BMR springs

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Right now, I'm awaiting the results of the tech knowing these springs have been on this car for ~150 miles. It may come back as something within the struts themselves, it may not. If it comes back to be the struts, I will have factory struts reinstalled and plan on purchasing Konis in the coming months...

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I think we might have finally figured out what happened.

During the install, as we were tightening the top nut on the strut shaft, I remember the strut turning on my while I held it. I thought this was the entire strut that turned, but it may have very well ben the shaft itself, of which is threaded into the body, and more than likely damaged the seal causing them to blow.

IDK why, but for some reason I feel better now? :shrug:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I run BMR springs on my '13 with FRPP struts and ran them on my '11 with stock struts and no problems.
That's wierd
Funny you mention this Jay, as the part guy at the dealership said that the FRPP struts "supposedly" only accepted FRPP springs. I just said okay, and moved on because they still would have to order them.

Anyways, I told the advisor to go ahead and replace them with factory. This will give me some time to save up for a decent set of aftermarket struts, probably Koni Yellows or Tokico D-Specs, but I can afford them later on.

Tucker

Funny you mention this Jay, as the part guy at the dealership said that the FRPP struts "supposedly" only accepted FRPP springs. I just said okay, and moved on because they still would have to order them.

Anyways, I told the advisor to go ahead and replace them with factory. This will give me some time to save up for a decent set of aftermarket struts, probably Koni Yellows or Tokico D-Specs, but I can afford them later on.

That's sad that parts guys don't know their product or are only "salesman"

Good luck

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Dealerships are not your friend, they are not there to help you. All they care about is making as much money as possible and will take advantage of anyone who doesn't know any better. Dealerships cannot be trusted.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Dealerships are not your friend, they are not there to help you. All they care about is making as much money as possible and will take advantage of anyone who doesn't know any better. Dealerships cannot be trusted.

I will say that despite it's not covered under warranty, even though I could have tried returning to stock at another dealer, the advisor I have has been more than accommodating to me with this situation.

kingnut

Established Member
Lol at returning to stock to get some new pos factory shocks. Man up and get some aftermarket ones.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Lol at returning to stock to get some new pos factory shocks. Man up and get some aftermarket ones.
I don't have the time right now to wait on a set of a/m struts to be delivered and take them to the dealer to get installed. So right now, reinstalling factory struts is the most sensible and easiest wallet option I have. Trust me, if I had the money to throw at some a/m struts in shocks, it would have happened already...

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
I also have a brembo car with sportlines and rides great, 3000 miles and no problem , and it sucks not to be able to work on your own car , it's almost not worth modding if you have to pay someone to do the work every time........unless your rich lol

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I also have a brembo car with sportlines and rides great, 3000 miles and no problem , and it sucks not to be able to work on your own car , it's almost not worth modding if you have to pay someone to do the work every time........unless your rich lol
I can work on it fine. I don't have the means (i.e. lift, spring/strut compressor, etc.) to do so right now.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
I can work on it fine. I don't have the means (i.e. lift, spring/strut compressor, etc.) to do so right now.

Not saying you can't work on cars but you don't need any of those things to change the struts or springs on a 5.0 , you need jack and jack stands if you have them but not "needed" and a basic craftsman tool kit , that's what I used

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Not saying you can't work on cars but you don't need any of those things to change the struts or springs on a 5.0 , you need jack and jack stands if you have them but not "needed" and a basic craftsman tool kit , that's what I used
How did you take the spring off the strut without blowing your head off?

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
How did you take the spring off the strut without blowing your head off?

Took the whole strut assembly off laid it on my garage floor with the strut mount facing the wall just far enough away to get my socket wrench on the nut that holds mount on took my two tires I had off the car stacked them up slid them against the bottom side of the strut and laid a small piece of plywood over the whole assembly put my knee on it and started cranking the nut off , when it came off all the way the pressure popped back against the tires and slapped my socket wrench against the wall leaving the mount still slightly on the strut shaft and all pressure released , the new spring was short enough to assemble without needing to compress at all

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Took the whole strut assembly off laid it on my garage floor with the strut mount facing the wall just far enough away to get my socket wrench on the nut that holds mount on took my two tires I had off the car stacked them up slid them against the bottom side of the strut and laid a small piece of plywood over the whole assembly put my knee on it and started cranking the nut off , when it came off all the way the pressure popped back against the tires and slapped my socket wrench against the wall leaving the mount still slightly on the strut shaft and all pressure released , the new spring was short enough to assemble without needing to compress at all
:eek: You have cajones! hahaha

mikestoyz

Established Member

now you know you should have filmed that for youtube right?:lol:

To the OP, it would be nice if a brembo or non brembo car local to you still had their stock stuff and would sell you it on the cheap. I plan on reusing my stock brembo struts with the sportlines I install in a week

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread