Help: Instrument Lights Out

2xlr8

Established Member
Calgary, Canada - summer is too short here!
Help,

Driving around and suddenly the instrument cluster lights went out - everything else is fine. I checked the following fuses and all appear to be in working order:

#5 Instrument Cluster, traction control switch
#21 Instrument cluster and engine control memory
#34 Instrument cluster, CCRM, data link etc.
#37 Adjustable illumination

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PS - I also checked other threads and couldn't come up with anything else.
:??:

batfat

Established Member
The same thing has just happened to me. Fuses fine as well....Going to the dealer next week...Let me know if you find out the problem. Cheers

wuplash

Established Member
this is interesting as my instrument cluster lights every once in awhile will have a little flicker to them like a florescent light does then it will go away and be fine for awhile.

03DOHC

Established Member
Don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes this happens. Did you try turning the headlight knob?

Long Road

Established Member
what about your instrument gauges? do they go dead too? if so, then you prob have a loose ground wire. they remove the instrument cluster and screw the wire in better.

simple fix for dealership... take it in.

jonas

Established Member
OMG ME TOO!!.

I just regestered to reply to this thread. I bought my 03 snake on thursday and took it in on friday for that prob. It comes on and off while I drive with the headlights on regardless of the dimmer position. It stays off more than comes on as well. They replaced the switch and it has the same prob, calling in sick to take it in monday morning. Man it would be pathetic if i have to exercize lemon law rights cause the tech cant fix a cluster.

The cluster dials work regardles of lights on or off and so does the rest of center console a/c and radio illumination. Its just that green luminescent light that dies on me. It stays off more than turns on.

Ill let the tech know tomorrow morning to check ground cable and have heard of this problem from half a dozen cobra owners

batfat

Established Member
My instrument guages work fine as do all the other lights and accessories. The only thing out are the green EL gauge lights. Please post any fix or dealer info. Thanks

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
My EL is off too. All instrument gauges read fine and all fuses are fine. Just no lighted gauges at night. Regardless of where the dimmer is set to.

I'm anxious to hear what you find out.

Black Stallion

Established Member
When I went to take delivery of mine the cluster lights would not come on, so I refused delivery. They had to replace the Gage Cluster on mine, said there were no bulbs to replace. Has worked fine since 9/02.:shrug:

Will's97

Established Member
When the dash lights goes, its gone! Since it has no bulbs there is only replacing. Maybe some one should start a poll of how many dashed have been replaced. My dash lasted a couple of weeks, hope they all go while under warentee and if they last, they last forever.

davidmax

Established Member
About a year ago I had some $$$ burning the proverbial hole in my pocket.SO I test drove an 03'.The Black Beauty did the same 2 minutes into my test so it was Mineral Grey for me and 0 problems.Dave S.

jonas

Established Member
My car is at the dealer for a 2nd time, I'm going to print this post and take it to them and possibly send to ford, may be a case for a recall or at least a tsb.

jonas

Established Member
My dealer is replacing my whole cluster, My technical advisor (the guy you meet in those booths) is being very very cool with me and so am I to him. Just an fyi. The guy you want to be on the good side with is with him. I learned with my 93 gt that they give the final ok next to the shop forman himself of course. when it comes to such things as mods and warrantee claims.

I had my headgasket replaced with a nos solinoids in plain veiw. Mechanics down at galpin are all hardcore car nuts so they usually will let small mods slide. I think the only 2 things they watch out for mod wise on cobras are chips and pullies. pullies are replacable and im waiting for the predator so theres no sign of reprogramming on my ecu.

jonas

Established Member
I'm supposed to pick up my cobra tomorrow, hopefully It is ok. They replaced the switch the first time and this time the whole cluster. Its official, ford has had my mustang in the shop longer than Ive had it on the road.

Purchased last thursday, picked up on friday, returned on saturday for intermittant faulure in the electro luminiscent lighting of the dash, (the neat green light) they replaced the switch the same day only to find out that night that wasnt it. I return the car on monday and there it is ever since waiting for the part to ship.

Talk about dumb luck. Brand new car and they are opening up the dash!! I feel like im stuck with a lemon and its the dumbest problem too. How hard is it for a tech to troubleshoot a dash light that turns on and off when I hit bumps in the road??

With my luck ill have loud ticking, major wheelhop and whine, my rear wheels will turn pitch black from break dust and ill bust a half shaft every month!!!!

jonas

Established Member
did they replace the cluster?
I want to make sure they fixed it and arent doing the typical parts swap half ass techs do untill they finally or i should say luckily choose the right one to replace.

I kinda lost faith in my dealer when they said it was the switch when I knew it couldnt be since the lights worked before and the ac and radio dimmed when i turned the knob

Users who are viewing this thread