Help! - JBA long tube install

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member
My friend and I started the installation of my JBA long tube headers tonight and are a bit stuck. This installation is being completed on jack stands. We removed the motor mount and steering shaft on the a drivers side and jacked up the engine. We are trying to feed the hear into place, and it just won't cooperate. I was trying to find some tips online and saw some folks dropped their k-member. I want to avoid doing this if at all possible. I would appreciate any tips from folks that have done this install.

Thanks,

Scott

jdcobra

Established Member
From what I've read and what people have told me dropping the k is the easiest. Yes it's time consuming but it will make your life easier.

csumt76

Established Member
Can't say for sure, maybe need more ground clearence to snake them in. I did my SW on a lift...

busarich

Established Member
I did my jbas on jack stands and got them on, so they will go. Maybe you need to get the engine up higher

Mad_Marc

Procharged!
Established Member
I helped my buddy with a set of these, take both motor mounts out and brackets.. Once that is done you can actually shift your motor side to side. Have your friend shift while you feed the primaries through the bottom

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
I helped my buddy with a set of these, take both motor mounts out and brackets.. Once that is done you can actually shift your motor side to side. Have your friend shift while you feed the primaries through the bottom

This

Torchy

Established Member
I did my jbas on jack stands and got them on, so they will go. Maybe you need to get the engine up higher

This

Then this.

Make sure you have the motor up as high as you can get it. Also if you have a barton shifter braket or some after market one you might want to loosen it. Don't have to take it off completely though.

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member

We had removed the nut from the passenger side motor mount to raise the engine, but had not completely removed it from the car. We will try this and shifting the motor next. I am also thinking I may not have the car up high enough. My existing jack is not that big and does not have a very tall max height. This is a good excuse to pick up a new jack! :rockon:

scotmach

Established Member
Any of you guys with autos removing your shifter when jacking up the motor? With the motor and tranny being lifted at the same time to get the headers in there I'm just wondering if it causes any interference with the shifter in place.

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member
Any of you guys with autos removing your shifter when jacking up the motor? With the motor and tranny being lifted at the same time to get the headers in there I'm just wondering if it causes any interference with the shifter in place.

I had an '05 auto GT that we put headers on and did not remove the shifter. I also did not remove it for this install.

Scott

04compgt

Established Member
I did my header install in 4 hours on jack stands, I had the k-member out in 1 hour, installed my headers and put the k-member back on. Much easier than trying to do it any other way. Just make sure you mark the k member before you take it off and put it back on the same marks.

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member
I have removed the starter on the passenger side and now working on the motor mount bolts. I found this brown clip in the picture attached to one of the bolts. It seems to be on their pretty snug and before I just rip at it I wanted to see if there was a certain way to remove it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Users who are viewing this thread