Help me buy a shotgun for hunting (Duck & Deer)

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^They can only hold 3 shells anywhere in the United States for migratory birds. I was just saying it has the capability to hold 4 without the "gun" actually being illegal.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
^Same as the state law everywhere else. That's the thing you can sneak an extra one in and it's a huge selling point for Binelli. Just need to keep an eye for the ole Game Warden. I'm not saying I do it but I'm saying it's a huge selling point. Let alone the Super Black Eagle for the money is the best shotgun you can buy.

Im not saying Binelli isnt an awesome gun. Because it is, but for the price I just couldnt justify spending that much. 870 is great buy for the great price. Everyone has there own opinion which I completely understand. I would never try the 4th shot deal here in IL. I dont care if ya can't see the Warden. They hide like you wouldnt believe....and maintain a No BS approach aka they dont warn, they just write tickets!!! Don't take a rocket scientist to figure out if there are two guys in a boat and 7 shots are fired together....one em them fired 4 shots!

Mustanger

Established Member
What's the difference between a Remington 870 and an 1100?

An 870 is a pump shotgun... you have to manually work the slide after each shot to feed the next shell in...very intimidating sound!

The 1100 is a semi-automatic type. Gas operated & feeds the next shell in the blink of an eye. I have had one for 30+ years & stone reliable. Plus it is a bit easier on the recoil...love mine.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
Definately an 870 or 1100. The Benelli's are nice to if you don't mind the price. Bang for the buck has to go to the 870 though.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Pumps
Rem 870
Benelli Black Eagle

Semi autos
Rem1100
Rem 1187
Browning Gold Hunter
Benelli

My Browning Gold Hunter is a Duck, Turkey and pheasant killing machine!!! my 1100 make short work of rabbits, and grouse

I can't speak on hunting deer with a shotgun though, i have .270 Ruger M77mkII for that lol

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
i say get a mossberg persuader. its a special purpose riot/home defence gun.
it comes with an 18 1/2" barrel and 5 or 8 slug capacity. you can pick this gun up for under $300 easy.

now go out and get a 24" barrel this should give you about a total of 27 inches because of the 3" reciver lenght. and i think 27" or so is good for duck, shouldent be bad for deer either.

and if you dont like hunting you can keep the persuader in stock form and have one hell of a home protection gun, i have one and its nice.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Hey man sincce your just starting out check out the Stoeger model 2000 it a cheap semi auto that uses the Benelli receiver. heres the link.
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_model_2000.php
Stoeger.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^We get unlimited tags for antlerless deer in most of our state also. I think I've shot 12 does before in one year.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^^ holy crap.

If everybody would do their part and shoot at least one or maybe two then I'd calm down a little:lol:. I either donate the meat (at $30 a pop to Harvest for the Hungry which feeds HOMELESS PEOPLE) or give it to some local Mexicans. :thumbsup:

LSUstang05

Established Member
My roommate is a HUGE duck hunter and he is telling me to get a Mossberg. They aren't the most expensive but he said he has never had any problems with his and he has dropped his in the swamp here in Louisiana. He also told me to get pump just because semi-auto has more crap to break and can get jammed more easily. He recommended that I get a shotgun that can shoot a 3 1/4 shell so in case I ever did need to shoot the 3 1/4 shell my gun could handle it. (it was either 3 1/4 or 3 1/2, I can't really remember right now)

He has a Mossberg 550 and has owned it since he was 8. Works flawlessy and he has never had any issues. He recommended that I get the Mossberg 850 (I think that's the pump 3 1/4 shotgun).

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
If it doesn't shoot 3 1/2" then don't buy it.

If you are going to use it for Deer that is 100% correct. The reason I chose the Benelli was at the time it was the only Semi-auto made for left handed people that shot 3 1/2".

LSUstang05

Established Member
If it doesn't shoot 3 1/2" then don't buy it.
That's what it is. I couldn't remember exactly. I know his shoots 2 3/4 but that's all they had when he got his. Definitely go for the 3 1/2" or it's not worth it (that's coming from posi and my roommate who hunts as much as he can during the season)

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
My roommate is a HUGE duck hunter and he is telling me to get a Mossberg. They aren't the most expensive but he said he has never had any problems with his and he has dropped his in the swamp here in Louisiana. He also told me to get pump just because semi-auto has more crap to break and can get jammed more easily.

neither my 1100 nor my Browning Gold hunter have ever jammed...EVER...And i have shot them both straight up at ducks and geese. The Semis are easier to clean also IMO

Users who are viewing this thread