Fluidyne heat exchanger
JLP powercooler in bed w/ pump
JDM long tube headers with free flow cats and magnaflow exhaust
LFP electric fan kit
three custom tunes by HPP dallas 91,93, and 104 torco

transmission:
JLP fully built 1200hp rated tranny

total for all these mods is about $25000 i believe

the truck only shows 50,000 miles but it has a completely new motor and blower.

not sure what the powercooler with the pump is but im assuming its the bigass tank thats sitting in the bed? what does this do?

im going to buy it tomorrow if all goes well. can you all chime in and tell me what i need to know about this truck as in if theres anything i should worry about or upgrade, which i doubt, but i dont know much about these trucks so any input would be great! thanks guys! o and im buying the truck for $20k which i think is a smoking deal!

Last edited:

scorcher2005

USMC
Established Member
Does he have receipts for any of the parts, labor, tuning? I mean its obvious if there is a kb on it, but its sorda hard to see if the engine really is built or not, etc... How much power is it making and what are the tune details?

Stupercharged

Established Member
the truck is at a dealer so its kind of hard to get receipts since im not talking to the owner. the guys at the dealer had an email from the previous with this mod list and that is what they showed me. do you think its worth my 04 cobra? just the mods alone are more than 20k. wat would you guys pay for it?

Last edited:

1990stanggt

Established Member
Man you really need a fellow Lightning owner to come look at it with you. If I were you, ESPECIALLY since you are dealing with the dealership and not the original owner, I would look the truck over extremely close, maybe even snap a bunch of pics and post them up here so we can look it over for you. If you could get into contact with the original owner, it might be helpful too, he wouldn't have any reason to lie to you, but the dealership, on the other hand, would.

Stupercharged

Established Member
^^^ how much power are you making and what are your track times if you dont mind? i see you have pariot heads and 2.3 kenne bell so i wana know what to expect. all the mods that were listed that could be seen were on the vehicle like exhaust, suspension, interior, intake, blower, everything but obviously i couldnt look into the motor or the trans so thats the only possible question right now but idk why the previous would write to the dealer he got something done that he didnt? do you guys think this truck is a good deal if it does in fact have all these mods? i work tomorrow night and the truck will be sold if i dont buy it tomorrow morning. there was a guy that was looking at the truck as i arrived at the dealership that had been there for about an hour and a half according to the guys at the dealer and who supposedly is friends with john force or something and also checked for all the mods who is going back tomorrow to buy it if i dont. i wish i knew more about lightnings or knew someone that did so they could help with my decision

Last edited:

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
You'd be better off knowing 110% for sure that truck is a good deal than to hurry up and buy it just becomes some other dude is also looking. Won't you feel like a jackass if you rush in and buy it ahead of him only to find out something is wrong internally with the engine and now you have to put a new long block in a truck you just bought?

Thats what I did. I kinda sorta regret it, but I don't at the same time. But if I had to do it all over again, I probably would be more patient.

RMoore92

Established Member
I would personally stay with the Cobra but thats me. With the money you'll be spending in buying the truck you can put into the cobra to make it go twice as fast :)

Lightning&Stang

12 oz vs 12 lb? Bye beer
Established Member
I personally think it's a good deal...with the truck and all mods, no matter if it blew up tomorrow, you still have a lot of assets...just as long as it's not all hacked up. Sounds like a hell of a truck.:beer:

Stupercharged

Established Member
^^^ thanks man your like the first person to say its a good deal so i was getting really worried i was being a dumbarse! the truck is super clean inside and out and the true blue is a cool color!

dealer is working on tune details and receipts right now. im still on the fence right now for some reason. i was like this with when i traded my 06 GTO for the cobra and then i went through with it and love the cobra! so i dont know if ill always be hesitant or what but i was hoping some of you L guys would chime in and say the lightning was badass or something to make it easier haha

Last edited:

opie99

Established Member
its all about the paperwork, you cant trust a mans word for anything anymore, esp a stealership

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
Idk man I think you should slow down on this. I had a 96 cobra that i traded for my L and looking back i was so pumped to have an L i couldn't see the real picture.. And the moded L i got blew two weeks later. I got lucky my friend worked at the dealer and i got a reman engine at no cost to me. You already a have an 04 cobra!! the L is really sick but come on man you have a bad ass cobra. Don't give it up for this truck your looking at. If you really want a Lightning keep looking else where.

Lightning&Stang

12 oz vs 12 lb? Bye beer
Established Member
^^^ thanks man your like the first person to say its a good deal so i was getting really worried i was being a dumbarse! the truck is super clean inside and out and the true blue is a cool color!

dealer is working on tune details and receipts right now. im still on the fence right now for some reason. i was like this with when i traded my 06 GTO for the cobra and then i went through with it and love the cobra! so i dont know if ill always be hesitant or what but i was hoping some of you L guys would chime in and say the lightning was badass or something to make it easier haha

To me it's a super deal because lets say you pop the motor tomorrow...as long as you don't ruin the heads...$2700 dollars plus a few extra $$$ and you're still way ahead. Call me crazy but if I had the money, that sucker would be in my garage tonight.:rockon:

scorcher2005

USMC
Established Member
Why not call up the tuner HPP dallas and talk to them about the truck? They should know quite a bit about the info on it like the power and and any issues they encountered while tuning it and such. And once again, they have no reason to lie to you. Also, ask the dealership to give your number to the previous owner. They cant give you his, but they can call him for you and then u could talk to him on the phone and find out more about it. That's what i do when i bought my 00gt and 06 wrx from the dealer. But if its clean and truely does have those mods, its a good deal. You never said what year it is, but i got mine 10 days ago. Its a 2000 with JDM engine, stage 3 heads, stage 2 cams, T76 turbo, BTS built tranny with 3200 stall, suspension, killer stereo, etc... for $18000. And my truck has 100,000 miles on it. But the truck is super clean for a vehicle 10 years old and the block and such only had 1000 miles on it. Plus to boot, it put down 755rwhp/810tq and its a blast to drive! I was in the market for either a termi, l, or lifted diesel with mods. I saw the L and kept it as an option, i found some termi's with KB/Whipples but they all wanted $25k+, and couldnt find any power house diesels. So I went with the L, who was originally asking $22k, and havent regretted it since. I really needed a truck to haul stuff and what not and the cobra couldnt give me that. The only reason i regret not getting a cobra is the fact its a manual, which im looking into putting one in the L now. So its really what all just suits you man. So best of luck in your decision.

1990stanggt

Established Member
^^^ how much power are you making and what are your track times if you dont mind? i see you have pariot heads and 2.3 kenne bell so i wana know what to expect.

Sorry, haven't been on the boards in awhile. I've only been to the track once and ran a best of 10.8 at 102mph in the 1000ft. This was on street tires and 10lbs of boost. Another guy there had similiar mods as me, minus the built motor, but he had slicks and ran a best of 10.2 (might have been a 9.8 but I'm not positive on that one).

Stupercharged

Established Member
^^^ what numbers are you making? i bought the truck and got it on the dyno and it put down 532whp and 580wtq. afr was about 10.5-10.7 from 3k on up and 17lbs of boost. do these numbers sound right? i was excited but just wana know what other guys with similar mods are making?

Users who are viewing this thread