Help me pass emissions i've tried everything!

LSwat

Established Member
Standard Pullied cobra setup, intake, MAF, 2.76.

Went to get emissions tested and pulled p1000 (system diagnostic) which means I get REJECTED because car is not ready.

Well over 1000 miles on car since pulley tune. Called tuner, said rear 02's are turned off. I think that or something else he is unaware of is holding up the system diagnostic.

I switched back to stock MAF and intake and returned to stock tune but I still have on the 2.76 pulley, just haven't gone into boost.....

put about 100 miles on the car, trying to get the P1000 code to clear, no such luck.

ANYONE able to offer ANY insight what so ever?

This problem is really becoming obnoxious and don't feel like swapping pullies because I lack the tool nor feel like spending $100 and possibly breaking the tool and or pulley.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
they are checking to see if your monitors have run. downstream monitor cant run if it is turned off. a little tip, when you turn the key on with engine off, the engine light will flash if the ob2 monitors have NOT run and is not ready for smog.

LSwat

Established Member
I noticed that the check engine light is on if you turn the key on, it of course goes away when I turn the car on. using my livewire, I can see the p1000 code....

Just wondering if I can lean into it a bit with the stock tune and the 2.76 pulley, was following another thread and seems like it might be ok. I know I have to go 1/2 throttle up to 40 mph according to ford's drive cycle. This is what i'm uncertain upon. Also what scares me.

Also being summer ECT is always high and I know it suppose to be below 170 for ideal drive cycles.....car usually breaks this threshold within first 5 mins of driving :nonono:

LSwat

Established Member
I have, about 100 miles mixed driving.....am I suppose to lean into it at all? the stock pulley is still on will it hurt the car? :shrug:

Anything special I should do aside from just driving it nice :shrug:

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
are they plugging into the obd2 port when you smog????????? if they are then it wont matter how long you drive it, the monitors wont set.

LSwat

Established Member
I am driving on the stock tune. Well over 125 miles now. It's factory except for the 2.76 pulley which as I stated in earlier posts do not wish to remove due to lack of tool, and fear of breaking the pulley....

how many miles/independent drive cycles does this take to finish, I heard 1 cycle if you hit all the points and about 50 miles, perhaps I am doing something wrong or missing something.

95SC

Banned
My car passed emissions just like it sits now with all the mods including 2.2KB,no cats, no EGR related parts , no evap system.You have pretty much stock car and you have problems passing emissions, that sucks.

harvboi05

Established Member
what else is disabled in the tune? whatever monitor is disabled, will never go ready. it will always stay not ready.

in NYS you can have upto two systems be read as "not ready" any more and you will fail. check what the regulations are for your state.

do you have EGR or SAI disabled also?

sounds like you just need to go thru the proper driving cycles. changing the pulley wont make you pass the emissions test.

LSwat

Established Member
Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle
Done this 3 times directly now, except for step 8. because I am STOCK but have on the 2.76 pulley.

I dunno what else was off in the tune as he told me "just rear 02's". This is why I returned it to stock to begin with. going to emissions now to see if any of the "not ready" turned to ready. Hopefully i'm getting somewhere...

ttk53

Established Member
load your tune and drive the car. boost and everything. rear o2's being turned off is not something new. the p1000 should go away.

LSwat

Established Member
what about the pulley?.....its not gonna damage anything? I dont plan to race it, i've been driving like a pussy for the last 125 miles....but should I lean into it at all? :shrug:

LSwat

Established Member
everything is ready except for EVAP which is throwing a CEL. i'm 99% sure in IL you are allowed 1 "not ready" Can I use my live wire to clear the P0442 code? If I clear this code will it reset the entire cycle? or just put the evap to not ready?

mooch91

Established Member
everything is ready except for EVAP which is throwing a CEL. i'm 99% sure in IL you are allowed 1 "not ready" Can I use my live wire to clear the P0442 code? If I clear this code will it reset the entire cycle? or just put the evap to not ready?

You might be allowed one "not ready", but I would think you can't have any CELs or codes. Problem is, when you reset the code, you're going to reset the drive cycles too.

Looks like you've got to track down the source of that code. Check your fuel cap, evap lines around the tank, evap solenoids (by tank and passenger fenderwell), the evap tie-in to the throttle body under the hood.

If you're still back on the stock tune, one other thing you have to think about is that you now have potential to generate codes because of your mods that wouldn't show up with your pulley tune because they were tweaked for the mods. Unlikely with an EVAP code, I guess, but something to consider.

I'm personally finding that monitors being "not ready" with aftermarket tunes is a common problem with very few solutions available on the internet. Probably because it's not well understood and probably the reason tuners leave the monitors "unsupported" so often. When you live in a state with strict inspection standards, you get stuck. Myself, I'm dealing with two monitors that won't set - EGR and CATALYST - after 400 miles of driving. I've tried following those drive cycles to the letter - with no change. My suspicion is that the PCM is waiting for some subtle condition that's out-of-spec just far enough to prevent the monitors from setting, but not far enough to set a code. And this is a byproduct of something with my bolt-ons - high-flow cats, MAF extender, whatever - that I can't yet identify. All of this is after my first tune - which passed inspection 2 1/2 years ago - failed with every monitor "unsupported", requiring me to buy a new tune.

Good luck. By the way, the EVAP monitor is a tough one because it only sets within the first 1/2 hour of driving and then needs to cold soak (6-8 hours) before it will try to set again. So it's more difficult to check your work to see if you've really fixed the problem causing the code. Some professional scanners (Snap On MT2500, for example) can bypass the soak to make it a bit easier. It also requires that you get up to highway speeds within that first half hour and cruise steady with 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel.

Last edited:

CGLhawk260

Established Member
State CT When i first bought my car i had a similiar problem. When they tried to run the OBD II test none of the system monitors were on. They couldn't even start the test at all!. I didn't fail because they never started the smog test. To make a long story short it turns out the former owner was from GA and when they installed the x pipe the cut the 02 senors wires off and turned off all the emissions monitors when they tuned the car.!. I had to have the car dyno tuned again. They reflashed the computer and wiped out the old program and installed a new program. I went to emissions and passed.

built93cobra

BIG GIB
Established Member
I am going through the same issues trying to pass my 04 here in MO. I bought the car with a tune already on it with the understanding that it would pass emissions. Well sure enough, come d-day it didn't pass. All monitors showed "Unsupported". I talked to the tuner and only having the rear o2's turned off will cause this to happen. I am going to have another tuner rear the tune off of the chip, go in and turn the o2's back on and the run the drive cycle to get the monitors to set.

If you are worried about getting into the car to get them to set while having a pulley on a stock tune, maybe talk to your tuner and see if they can go in and turn the o2's back on?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Throw the stock tune on it, drive around for about 30 minutes then retest while warm.

Users who are viewing this thread