Votes: 3 4.2%

Votes: 7 9.7%

Votes: 5 6.9%

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aceswild 02

Established Member
I won ROTM on another forum and need help picking a photo for the forum's homepage. Here are some pics I took today.
1:
edit176jpg.jpg

2:
edit175jpg.jpg

3:
edit173jpg.jpg

4:
edit172jpg.jpg

5:
edit170jpg.jpg

6:
edit169jpg.jpg

7:
edit168jpg.jpg

8:
edit167jpg.jpg

9:
edit166jpg.jpg

Thanks for the help

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
#4 is decent but I agree with 99BlownVert that #8 is best because it's a clearer picture and shows off the red interior.

If #9 wasn't so color washed, that would be my pick as it's a better view of the stance.

#5 is horrible as the sky behind it looks like a rainbow. Way too distracting. Again, highly over processed in Lightroom. However, since thats the edited version and overall, it a great shot, it can be saved.

If you have a RAW format of that photo, I'd be happy to show you a better process of it.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I like 1 the most, 5 being the runner up. I LOVE the car, and the pictures are in a great location for it. Grats on ROTM!!

Whichever you pick my two cents would be to open it with photoshop and take 5 seconds to do an "auto color" setting. I was playing with your picture in cs2 because i thought it would look cool with a sepia tone to it and in black and white, but you can see how much darker the blacks are, and how much cleaner the whites are with the proper white balance:

Original:
edit170jpg.jpg

Autocolor:

edit170jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
I like 1 the most, 5 being the runner up. I LOVE the car, and the pictures are in a great location for it. Grats on ROTM!!

Whichever you pick my two cents would be to open it with photoshop and take 5 seconds to do an "auto color" setting. I was playing with your picture in cs2 because i thought it would look cool with a sepia tone to it and in black and white, but you can see how much darker the blacks are, and how much cleaner the whites are with the proper white balance:

Original:
edit170jpg.jpg

Autocolor:

edit170jpg.jpg

Thats because 'auto color' makes adjustment to the brightness levels and the hue/saturation content. You took an edited picture and applied that setting, which is why it looks so 'off'.

Working with the RAW file would yield better results if its applied correctly. I would use auto anything though. Use the curves and adjust manually...it would look better and more creative without over processing it

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Thats because 'auto color' makes adjustment to the brightness levels and the hue/saturation content. You took an edited picture and applied that setting, which is why it looks so 'off'.

Working with the RAW file would yield better results if its applied correctly. I would use auto anything though. Use the curves and adjust manually...it would look better and more creative without over processing it

I only just started working with RAW files today, any 2 cents on what a good program is to view them? I think my cannon takes CR2.

I don't wanna thread high jack, i tried PMing you, but every time i go to my PM's page the web site times out :shrug:

Aceswild 02

Established Member
Thanks for all of the input yall!

#4 is decent but I agree with 99BlownVert that #8 is best because it's a clearer picture and shows off the red interior.

If #9 wasn't so color washed, that would be my pick as it's a better view of the stance.

#5 is horrible as the sky behind it looks like a rainbow. Way too distracting. Again, highly over processed in Lightroom. However, since thats the edited version and overall, it a great shot, it can be saved.

If you have a RAW format of that photo, I'd be happy to show you a better process of it.

Original:
edit170jpg.jpg

Autocolor:

edit170jpg.jpg

I only just started working with RAW files today, any 2 cents on what a good program is to view them? I think my cannon takes CR2.

I don't wanna thread high jack, i tried PMing you, but every time i go to my PM's page the web site times out :shrug:

The over processing is due to the TERRIBLE lighting/glare during the shoot that completely washed out everything. It was around noon when I took these today. Did some really quick editing to ditch the glare and messed with the colors a little.

I still havent messed with shooting in RAW yet...mostly because of the amount of memory it takes up and how slow the transfers are.

I appreciate the input guys. Friday I am going to try to do a shoot around 5pm and get some nicer shots. I needed some pics today though, so I had to work with it.
:beer:

Aceswild 02

Established Member
It's an all original surviver. I'm the 3rd owner...my grandpa was the second owner.

It sat for about 10 years and I just recently got it running. Now I'm in the process of wet sanding/buffing the car...repainting the wheels, polishing hub caps...little stuff like that.

I work on it myself...pretty easy car to work on. You'll notice all pics are of the passenger side. I just finished buffing the passenger side and I'm still wet sanding the driver side...lol

Just rebuilt the carb and dropped the gas tank recently to clean out the pick up line. Next I'm going to drop the tranny and replace the seals. It runs great, especially for a car that has never been restored.

Edit: oh yeah, under the hood is the original strait 8 with roughly 50k miles on it. Original tranny too (three on the tree)

Last edited:

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
It's an all original surviver. I'm the 3rd owner...my grandpa was the second owner.

It sat for about 10 years and I just recently got it running. Now I'm in the process of wet sanding/buffing the car...repainting the wheels, polishing hub caps...little stuff like that.

I work on it myself...pretty easy car to work on. You'll notice all pics are of the passenger side. I just finished buffing the passenger side and I'm still wet sanding the driver side...lol

Just rebuilt the carb and dropped the gas tank recently to clean out the pick up line. Next I'm going to drop the tranny and replace the seals. It runs great, especially for a car that has never been restored.

Edit: oh yeah, under the hood is the original strait 8 with roughly 50k miles on it. Original tranny too (three on the tree)

That's awesome! And the fact that your grandfather owned it makes it taste that much sweeter. Very cool ride!

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member

Figures. Seems to be happening a lot...

Lightroom is a very capable program for editing CR2 files and is my personal favorite. Between CS5 and Bridge, thats a insane amount of photo processing ability. I occasionally use Photomatix Pro but thats rare for me.

For free software, GIMP with a plugin to view the RAW format is good and pretty simple to use. rawtherapee.com is another decent freeware program that works with RAW. I have several Canon DSLR's and the CR2 format never gives me any problems.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
The over processing is due to the TERRIBLE lighting/glare during the shoot that completely washed out everything. It was around noon when I took these today. Did some really quick editing to ditch the glare and messed with the colors a little.

I still havent messed with shooting in RAW yet...mostly because of the amount of memory it takes up and how slow the transfers are.

I appreciate the input guys. Friday I am going to try to do a shoot around 5pm and get some nicer shots. I needed some pics today though, so I had to work with it.
:beer:

Try using a lens hood and a polarized filter. Takes out the glare and reduces lens flare, Well worth the money for those. On a 58mm lens, thats maybe $30 bucks for a good quality brand.

Some glare can be reduced with Lightroom using the highlight feature but if its that washed, youll need Photoshop and some time and that might not cure it if its that bad.

I keep my RAW and side car files on a seperate harddrive so I dont fill up the computers hard drive with bloat files. Some I just convert to TIFF and delete the RAW outright. Just tossing out ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread