Help me spend $1000+ on my stock 03 Cobra

Stealthjr

Established Member
First time poster and new to the 03-04 Cobra cars and would appreciate your help! :-D
I have owned the car for 2 days and I am dying to spend some cash to make it "sound" and "run" better! (Car is bone stock) It is my daily driver so don't get too crazy on me...

I'd like to spend in the "ballpark" of $1k to start. I already ordered the Magnaflow catback #15644 and the MGW shifter which totals $600 for the two. I am debating on the JLT RAI or the K&N unit which will set be back another $200 or so. That leaves a ball park of $200 left for something else right? Well, this is where you guys come in! :thumbsup:

Should I pulley the blower? How small can I go SAFELY without tuning?
If I need to tune...I'll have to hold off until the "next round of mods".

So with what I have going so far and what I have left...point me in the right direction please! :beer:

Thanks a bunch!

Robert

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I would say the stock tune will probably safely handle a 3.2 upper. I've seen a 3.1 upper on stock tune with no issues. But no matter what you change it to, dyno it afterward to check the tune. Find another 3-400 and swap to a 2.8 and get it dyno tuned....Good Luck!

pwrhungry

Established Member
Seems like this should be a "I have $200 to spend" being you already ordered all that stuff. :shrug:

Stealthjr

Established Member
"03Snake"
Thanks for the input...makes perfect sense! :D

"pwrhungry"
LOL...that is a good point! I guess I just wanted to put a dollar figure on the heading because I know you crazy bastards will have me spending $5k if I don't "try" to stop it! :beer: Really, I am just after one more mod to compliment the mods already on the way WITHOUT having to tell my kids they will have to walk to school cuz there is no money for gas! ;-)

So....if a 2.93 pulley and tune is the BEST bang for the next buck...then it is what it is fellas and who am I to hold out on ya! :rockon:

Make sure you guys tell me where to get this stuff as I have NO CLUE who has the best service/prices. :coolman:

Thanks!
Robert

Last edited:

Stealthjr

Established Member
"nikemason"
Thanks! To be honest...when I was just browsing the forum (before I registered) I did not see a search feature and figured there wasn't one. Well what do you know...I just looked after reading your post wondering how you expected me to find those threads and whoalla...a "Search" feature.

I really gotta quit drinking so much Jack Daniels!!! :fart:

"04Coupe"
Don't worry about the hi-jack as it's a good question I'd like to know the answer to since it pertains to my next purchase!

Anybody know APPROXIMATELY what gains can be found going from a stock pulley down to say the next 3 sizes?

Thanks,
Robert

P.S. I am off to "Search" for the previous bang for the buck threads that apply to the 03-04 Cobra. Feel free to let this thread die or maybe some new ideas have come along to keep it alive a bit more?

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
With a 2.93 pulley I seen 12 PSI and a 2.8 pulley I seen 14 PSI! With the 2.93 I was around 450 RWHP.....when I changed to my 2.8 I was around 460RWHP!

Stealthjr

Established Member
Hey "stangd1909"...
What other mods do you have that helped you achieve the 450 rwhp with the 2.93 pulley?

Thanks,

Robert

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Magnaflow catback, UPR O/R X-pipe, Steeda CAI/With a JLT RAI, LFP H/E, I just looked at my old #'s they were 449/469 with that set-up!

shocker 420

Established Member
I've heard that gas milage is close to stock, untill you get up to the 500+ horsepower mark... Just stay out of the boost! lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You can put together a nice package making good power without having to spin the Eaton until it screams for mercy. Or break your bank. LOL! With nothing but a 2.90" upper, catback, intake, ported blower and a couple of other basic mods you can easily make 480rwhp+. Without porting the blower you can make 450+rwhp with that 2.90/2.93 upper. To respond to Stealjr, I made 457rwhp and 484rwtq with the following mods.
Steeda CAI
Accufab throttle body/plenum
Steeda catback
Magnaflow catted X-pipe
Reichard Racing 2.90" upper pulley
3-piece Billetflow idler set
Amazon Racing tune (Diablo chip)

Porting the blower got me to 495rwhp and 491rwtq. I then went with a 2.80" pulley and got 504rwhp but sold the car before I worked out a tune issue.

So you can most definitely get 450-460rwhp with a 2.90/2.93 upper only. If that's the level of power you're looking for you will be very content. If not, you have a lot of options regarding smaller pullies, larger crank pullies and, of course, porting the blower (Steigemeier only vendor I'd recommend).

Enjoy modding your Cobra! Make your choices carefully and you'll save yourself some money along the way. :)

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
CobraBob said:
You can put together a nice package making good power without having to spin the Eaton until it screams for mercy. Or break your bank. LOL! With nothing but a 2.90" upper, catback, intake, ported blower and a couple of other basic mods you can easily make 480rwhp+. Without porting the blower you can make 450+rwhp with that 2.90/2.93 upper. To respond to Stealjr, I made 457rwhp and 484rwtq with the following mods.
Steeda CAI
Accufab throttle body/plenum
Steeda catback
Magnaflow catted X-pipe
Reichard Racing 2.90" upper pulley
3-piece Billetflow idler set
Amazon Racing tune (Diablo chip)

Porting the blower got me to 495rwhp and 491rwtq. I then went with a 2.80" pulley and got 504rwhp but sold the car before I worked out a tune issue.

So you can most definitely get 450-460rwhp with a 2.90/2.93 upper only. If that's the level of power you're looking for you will be very content. If not, you have a lot of options regarding smaller pullies, larger crank pullies and, of course, porting the blower (Steigemeier only vendor I'd recommend).

Enjoy modding your Cobra! Make your choices carefully and you'll save yourself some money along the way. :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Listen to what Cobra Bob says....he knows a thing or two about these cars ;-) !! When I first started out I learned alot from him!! :beer:

Stealthjr

Established Member
Thanks everyone!!

Hey "CobraBob",
Not sure if you knew this from my Paypal ID or you were just being a VERY informative person BUT...I just ordered some of your gaskets today to go with the MGW shifter I ordered today as well.
I also got your e-mail...thanks! :beer:

Is there a web address for Steigemeier?

Thanks,

Robert

Fast Willy

Established Member
For the rest of the $200 buy a billetflow irs brace and then when you get the rest of the money get the mm full length sub frame connectors.

KDog

Established Member
$200 is right around the cost of a set of MM full-length subframe connectors with shipping.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
SCMod46 said:
For the rest of the $200 buy a billetflow irs brace and then when you get the rest of the money get the mm full length sub frame connectors.

:bash: I forgot about the brace!! That was the Second mod to my Cobra!! A MUST in my book...and get a Billetflow!!

Users who are viewing this thread