Help, my Shelby is not starting. I have a light on the dash with a little car and a lock that's flashing. What does that mean?

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I just bought this car a couple weeks ago and another gremlin has popped up. It came with two car fobs, one was barely working, and the other while it worked, seemed kind of weak.

Could that be the issue?

The lights come on fine so I don't think it's the battery?

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Does the FOB open the door?

If not change the batteries in the FOBs. check the voltage on the Battery for the car. if its low it will give you headaches for sure. Thats the two things I would start with.
Thank you.

Fobs not opening or locking the doors.

I will replace both batteries.

Have you ever seen that light flashing on the dash with the car and the lock?

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Thank you.

Fobs not opening or locking the doors.

I will replace both batteries.

Have you ever seen that light flashing on the dash with the car and the lock?
Thats probably it. the FOBs need to be working in order for the key to send a signal to the ECU. ANTITHEFT is holding you out is my guess.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Great, thank you again!
Well, no luck. Batteries for fobs were fine but replaced them anyway.

Still doesn't start and now the fobs don't even lock/unlock the doors or open the trunck.

In fact, when I pushed the trunk release button a strange clicking noise started coming from the passenger side firewall under the dash and wouldn't stop until I disconnected the battery.

I'm starting to fear I bought a lemon.

Now, nothing turns on, the lights or anything.

Is it possible it's a dead battery? I'll have to get a battery tester because I don't have one.

Tezz500

Established Member
Well, no luck. Batteries for fobs were fine but replaced them anyway.

Still doesn't start and now the fobs don't even lock/unlock the doors or open the trunck.

In fact, when I pushed the trunk release button a strange clicking noise started coming from the passenger side firewall under the dash and wouldn't stop until I disconnected the battery.

I'm starting to fear I bought a lemon.

Now, nothing turns on, the lights or anything.

Is it possible it's a dead battery? I'll have to get a battery tester because I don't have one.

Yes. VATS will kick on if there isn’t enough charge on the battery as I mentioned previously, check the charge on the vehicle battery. You can pull the battery and take it to an autozone or something. They can test it for free.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Yes. VATS will kick on if there isn’t enough charge on the battery as I mentioned previously, check the charge on the vehicle battery. You can pull the battery and take it to an autozone or something. They can test it for free.
Okay, thank you again.

Hopefully I'm freaking out about nothing.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Took it to O'Reilly auto parts and the guy said there's not even enough charge to test it.

He said they can recharge it, but is it better to just get a new one?

It is relatively new, 8/22 but I'm not sure if that makes sense to charge it?

Tezz500

Established Member
Took it to O'Reilly auto parts and the guy said there's not even enough charge to test it.

He said they can recharge it, but is it better to just get a new one?

It is relatively new, 8/22 but I'm not sure if that makes sense to charge it?

Honestly I would replace it. I’d also get yourself a battery tender if you’re not driving the vehicle regularly.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Not sure if the link works.

CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic 4.3 amp Battery Charger and Maintainer 12V​

Another question for you guys, and I appreciate the responses, why do I need a battery tender? I've had three Mustangs previously, and 89 LX 5.0, a 1970 Mach 1 and a 93 LX and stored them, limited driving, and never had an issue.

Is it because with the newer cars they have all the different gadgets, computers, etc that put a drain on the battery?

I'm going to get one, but just curious and want to learn more.

Thanks!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure if the link works.

CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic 4.3 amp Battery Charger and Maintainer 12V​

Ive used a Ctek on my mustang for over 10 years, might have to replace it because the mode button is wearing out but it's been great.
Another question for you guys, and I appreciate the responses, why do I need a battery tender? I've had three Mustangs previously, and 89 LX 5.0, a 1970 Mach 1 and a 93 LX and stored them, limited driving, and never had an issue.

Is it because with the newer cars they have all the different gadgets, computers, etc that put a drain on the battery?

I'm going to get one, but just curious and want to learn more.

Thanks!

these cars have exponentially more electronics, just the nature of the beast. Hell, they've been saying for quite a while vehicles really should be on more than a 12 volt system with the ever growing number of and complexity of electronic items.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Ive used a Ctek on my mustang for over 10 years, might have to replace it because the mode button is wearing out but it's been great.

these cars have exponentially more electronics, just the nature of the beast. Hell, they've been saying for quite a while vehicles really should be on more than a 12 volt system with the ever growing number of and complexity of electronic items.

Awesome and thanks! I’m going to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread