Help! Need advice on a used 2.8h kenne bell

mvaccarelli

Established Member
Hello everyone I am a new cobra owner and this is my first time posting on this site. A little backround my first mustang I owned was a 2004 gt which I put too much money into for a 2v lol which I sold before I joined the army and now I am station in fort hood tx and bought my 2004 black cobra November 2015 with 36k miles which had JLT intake,smaller pulley (dont know what size) blora catback. I been wanting to go with a whipple or kenne belI. My goals are the 600rwhp range the 17-19 pounds of boost. I call up hpp racing up near Dallas area I heard they are one of the best tuners in the country for 03-04 Cobras. They tell me they are installing twin turbos on someone's cobra and they have their used 2.8h kenne bell liquid cooled that they are willing to sell me. They send me a quote 3250 for just the 2.8h kb blower by itself, they added in all the fuel system upgrades but I told them I wanted to run only enough boost for the stock fuel pumps can handle which I can get 60lb injectors and kb boost a pump and be safe with 17-19 lb boost pushing near 600horses? I was planning on going with a little smaller blower like a 2.6kb or 2.3 whipple but this used one came up and it can be better for the future if I wanted more. So the quote is 3250 for the blower which he said is in very good condition and only has like 8k miles. Another $ 400 for 60lb injectors, 400 for a throttle body, 610 labor, 425 tune, 270 for the BAP so we looking at $5250-5500 ish out the door unless I'm missing anything that I would need for this setup?? i would try and install it by myself but i am so busy with work I couldn't find the time. Is this worth buying used or should I just invest in a new 2.6 kenne which is only $100 more but without the liquid cooled and is smaller. What do y'all think? This is my daily driver street car. any and all advice is appreciated thank you! Sorry for any poor grammar or mistakes I am tired and don't really care to make it perfect you get the picture lol.

Quick Strike

Established Member
That seems high for a used blower. I got my used 2.8 KB for $2750 including the throttle body. The rest of the parts seems to have a pretty good mark up over available prices. I'd shop around for a reputable shop with lower prices. Other then the tune, the work you want done is very straightforward.

D-MANN

Established Member
I had a KB 2.6H and swapped that out for a VMP TVS 2.3 and I have zero regrets. The TVS rocks and I would strongly suggest you take a look at it for the boost you want to run.

mvaccarelli

Established Member
I had a KB 2.6H and swapped that out for a VMP TVS 2.3 and I have zero regrets. The TVS rocks and I would strongly suggest you take a look at it for the boost you want to run.

I am not to fimilar with the TVS but I hear good about them. Why did you switch from your 2.6 kenne what are the pros and cons compared to the kenne bell?

D-MANN

Established Member
Reliability,removable Inlet, more pulley choices,runs cooler,monster inlet matched with Gt500 style TB,and made more power and tq across the whole power band to name a few. For the boost you want to run its perfect. I made 605/570 on 18psi. At 20psi it made 652/630

mvaccarelli

Established Member
I think you just sold me. It is a very good price too. What did you have at 18psi at 605/570? Could I do this with 60injectors and a boost a pump and the TVS and call it a day?

GodStang

Established Member
That seems high for a used blower. I got my used 2.8 KB for $2750 including the throttle body. The rest of the parts seems to have a pretty good mark up over available prices. I'd shop around for a reputable shop with lower prices. Other then the tune, the work you want done is very straightforward.

Is yours liquid cooled? That is a $1000 add on so if it was knocked down 50% that would put it at $3250 right where he is asking.
I would get the 2.8LC over the TVS in a heart beat. The advantage you get with the TVS is removable inlet... That is the only advantage. I made just shy of 800 with the polished 2.8LC I am selling. It will give your room to grow.

D-MANN

Established Member
Vmp fuel pump booster,60's and maf and you are golden. Do your research. Pick the blower that is best for the intended use you plan. Check out VMP site and give them a call. Check the market section cause low mile TVS blowers do come up for sale.

Joewee500

Established Member
Not a terminator but I sold my KB 2.8 in favor of a 2.3 vmp gen2. My car is much more enjoyable. I had the 2.8LC freshly rebuilt with less than 1000 miles, 3 pullies, 2 throttle bodies, belt and all hoses sold for $2700. I would have taken less. The throttle body hung up and failsafed a lot when it got hot. Pass on the HPP price, that's outrageous.

Users who are viewing this thread