Help Needed on Pads: Hawk or Mintex

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member
I'm trying to decide between the Hawk DTC-70 and Mintex F3R to fit on my AP Racing brake kit. The car gets light to medium track duty, with a few HPDE days per year. The rest is street driving. I know both are track pads, but I've completely toasted anything more streetable at the track. In my initial research, it seems that both are good for the track but that the Mintex pads might be more streetable. I know there are other pads out there, but these are two that will specifically fit this system. Your thoughts?

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I was thinking about the AP 6 piston front Kit, and the 4 piston?? rear kit from Stillen out here, instead of the Baer/Shelby 6 piston up-grade. How do you like the set-up overall, and what made you go in the AP direction if you don't mind me asking... Thanx..

Kevin P

Established Member
You DO NOT want to use racing pads like the Hawk DCT70 in the street. Trust me.

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member
UPDATE:

Here's what I decided after talking to many people and doing a lot of thinking and research:

I am going to put street pads on for now (Mintex Xtreme High Performance). I go to the track a few times a year, but when I go I do push the 4,000 pound, 650 rwhp beast pretty damn hard, and I will fry those street pads and destroy the rotors after one or two HPDE days (as I have done in the past). So, before going to the track, I'll put on a set of Hawk or Mintex racing pads and have at it.

How does that sound? :beer:

TexasShelby

Established Member
If you're streeting, a lot of guys have had great luck with the DuraMax Gold CMax pads from, believe it or not, AutoZone. Good braking and very little dust.
I have them on my back brakes and zero issues.
I'm running the Porterfield R4-S on the front and am happy with my choice so far. About 70% less dust and great braking.

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member
Minor update to a year-old thread:

I have been using the Mintex Xtreme High Performance pads for street duty for the past year, and they have been great. No complaints.

My first HPDE session of the season is coming up next week at Pocono Raceway, and I'm putting on the Mintex F3R pads. I'll post followup once that session is done.

cluscher

Established Member
FWIW, Hawk HT-10s worked real well for me at the track and are also pretty friendly on the street so far. No issue stopping with them when cold and little squeal thus far. Have one full track day and about 500 street miles on them.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
I am trying the Carbotech XT-10 (F) and XT-8 (R) this weekend. First HPDE with this setup (including new GY F1 KR tires) so it will be interesting. If I have anything interesting to report, I will post up.

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member
The F3R pads worked flawlessly at the track. No fade at all (although it was a cool day and was not a particularly brake-heavy course. Going to VIR in the Fall.

Users who are viewing this thread