Help Picking Out New Camera

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Hey fellas, I need some help deciding on a new camera for me and the wifey. We're going to a have a little girl in a few months and want to be able to take quality pictures instead of using our Galaxy S3's (not saying they're bad, but you know what I mean). I don't know much...okay..I don't know anything about camera's so I'm going to need some serious help. We'd like something like a DSLR as it seems they take some really nice pictures. Nothing too fancy or crazy, just a nice camera that will take great pictures and is user friendly.

She earns BB gift cards from her work and has $200 in gift cards already. Hopefully there are some good deals and good cameras to be had there. Probably like to keep it around $450-500.

Thanks! :beer:

wht93gted

Established Member
That's a tough price point for DSLR, but you should be able to get into a Nikon D3200 for that price. It's basically an entry level DLSR with a basic lens you could probably grab from Best Buy.

It's probably more camera then you'll need, but you said DSLR, so I think this is a great entry point (it will take movies too).

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I have a dslr for sale.. Nice lenses to..

Canon t3i case charger 2 lenses bag. Hdmi cable all that

blownfox

Established Member
I paid 500 for my D3200 last month from best buy. It takes great pictures.

Last edited:

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
That's a tough price point for DSLR, but you should be able to get into a Nikon D3200 for that price. It's basically an entry level DLSR with a basic lens you could probably grab from Best Buy.

It's probably more camera then you'll need, but you said DSLR, so I think this is a great entry point (it will take movies too).

I just figured/thought that dSLR's take better pictures due to nicer lenses, etc than normal point and shoots, etc. I see BB has something called Compact Systems Cameras, but I have no clue how they differ. I'll have to do some research later I guess. Thanks for your insight

I like how you can add lenses for different pictures too. Expensive, but cool

Travis

Established Member
if you want something that takes nice pictures, dont limit yourself to a dslr. there are plenty of entry level cameras and advanced point and shoots that take amazing pictures

MachJoe

Established Member
I'd definitely spend the extra money on a DSLR. But if your dead set on your price point get the Sony Alpha Nex.

Whatever you get, get a Sony.

GotBoost?!

Established Member
Steves Digicams - Digital Camera Reviews, Camera News, and Photography Information

Good website for camera questions for point and shoot and DSLR.

I've got a Panasonic FZ-28 camera and a Canon XSI DSLR.
Both are great cameras. Take your time and most importantly,hold each camera in your hands,because if you dont like the way it feels while holding it,most likely you wont feel comfortable taking pictures with it either,FWIW.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
OP the questions you have to ask yourself are, "Do I know how to properly use a DSLR Camera and get the best out of it?" If you have had no experience with one, "Am I willing to learn how to properly use a DSLR Camera?"

If you answered no, just get a regular old point and shoot. The technology has come very far in those and can provide you with some quality pictures. If you do not know how to properly shoot with a DSLR and will just use Auto Mode then you are better off buying a point and shoot. You will be overpaying for something you will not truly need.

That being said, learning to take proper pictures with a DSLR and learning the basics of Photography to make better pictures with a DSLR is not all that hard. It takes a little getting use to and retraining but; the payoff is well worth it.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Check out T3i's at Best Buy/Amazon. You don't need to know anything about photography to take a very good picture.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
if you want something that takes nice pictures, dont limit yourself to a dslr. there are plenty of entry level cameras and advanced point and shoots that take amazing pictures

Do any come to mind when you think of point and shoot's?? I had always thought dSLR's were better because of better quality lenses, etc etc. I'll mainly need something that has a good adjustment when not using a tripod as these will be more like "point and shoot" type of pictures. If we can get away with spending less and getting 99.9% of the quality of a lower dSLR then why not.

I know a big benefit of dslr's are that you can change lenses, etc, but I figured they'd be better even out of the box than the point and shoot type camera. Thanks for you help :thumbsup:

Steves Digicams - Digital Camera Reviews, Camera News, and Photography Information

Good website for camera questions for point and shoot and DSLR.

I've got a Panasonic FZ-28 camera and a Canon XSI DSLR.
Both are great cameras. Take your time and most importantly,hold each camera in your hands,because if you dont like the way it feels while holding it,most likely you wont feel comfortable taking pictures with it either,FWIW.

Cool. Thanks!

OP the questions you have to ask yourself are, "Do I know how to properly use a DSLR Camera and get the best out of it?" If you have had no experience with one, "Am I willing to learn how to properly use a DSLR Camera?"

If you answered no, just get a regular old point and shoot. The technology has come very far in those and can provide you with some quality pictures. If you do not know how to properly shoot with a DSLR and will just use Auto Mode then you are better off buying a point and shoot. You will be overpaying for something you will not truly need.

That being said, learning to take proper pictures with a DSLR and learning the basics of Photography to make better pictures with a DSLR is not all that hard. It takes a little getting use to and retraining but; the payoff is well worth it.

Never used a DSLR. I will most definitely read up and ask questions about using it though. Any places that you know of for good reading on DSLR basics?? Thanks

Check out T3i's at Best Buy/Amazon. You don't need to know anything about photography to take a very good picture.

I'll look into this. Thanks

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I have a Canon Rebel T1i and love it. It's more the glass that you use that make the pictures that much better. I think there is a T4i now lol? My wife's friend just got a cool sony point and shot that has removable lenses. Not sure on the price though.

Travis

Established Member
Do any come to mind when you think of point and shoot's?? I had always thought dSLR's were better because of better quality lenses, etc etc. I'll mainly need something that has a good adjustment when not using a tripod as these will be more like "point and shoot" type of pictures. If we can get away with spending less and getting 99.9% of the quality of a lower dSLR then why not.

I know a big benefit of dslr's are that you can change lenses, etc, but I figured they'd be better even out of the box than the point and shoot type camera. Thanks for you help :thumbsup:

In my opinion DSLRs give you more customization, options and let the photographer make more decisions which can enhance the shot.

Don't get me wrong. I have a D7000 and I love it...

But as far as just taking nice pictures you can look into anything with a larger image sensor, hd video if you want it, start up time, fps for still shots and lens zoom. Don't let the 200000 zoom catch your eye because its mainly digital aka zooming in on the picture itself.

You can get a camera that will take stunning pictures that can be blow up to poster size for under $350.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
When looking around, I see compact systems cameras or ILC (interchangeable lens) are supposed to be the "new dslr's"? What I'm seeing is that they're smaller and can give the same quality pictures and controls as entry-mid level dslr's. You can still change the lens like a dslr. Haven't looked into them much more than reading some articles, but they seem to be a bit less bulky from not having a mirror/viewfinder it says. Hopefully some in here can chime in on the pro's and/or con's of ILC's over dslr's.

Thanks for the post Travis

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
When looking around, I see compact systems cameras or ILC (interchangeable lens) are supposed to be the "new dslr's"? What I'm seeing is that they're smaller and can give the same quality pictures and controls as entry-mid level dslr's. You can still change the lens like a dslr. Haven't looked into them much more than reading some articles, but they seem to be a bit less bulky from not having a mirror/viewfinder it says. Hopefully some in here can chime in on the pro's and/or con's of ILC's over dslr's.

Thanks for the post Travis

They dont take the pics a dslr will.. The blurry background (bookah?)
Or moving shots shutter speed..

Or the f stops are not as low..

Iso isnt as high. From what i understand

Users who are viewing this thread