Help settle a debate: What do you think of the group U2?

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Hello,

Over at a Christian forum, we're discussing music. Several people there view U2 as a Christian group, and some just view them as a secular group w/ some Christian members.

Now those of you who listen to them/like them, do you think you would consider their music or their songs Christian, or related to anything Christian?

My position is that they aren't a Christian group, and shouldn't be considered such.

Speak away :thumbsup:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Well, I meant for this to be a poll, however, I mest up, so I guess just put "yes" or "no" in your post, sorry :bash:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I know they are extremely "politically" motivated. I don't think you can consider that "Christian" but that's JMHO!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

newcastle

I agree with you that they are not a Christian band. They are religious people, though. I think it's great how Bono can dive into something that he thinks needs change and get HUGE attention, support, and change. I don't know of another celebrity that makes things happen like he does.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
No, not a christian group because they actually make some decent music.
I'd say they are definitly a political group.

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
I say, I don't listen to music for the lyrics. To me the voice is an instrument used to fill just like any other instrument like the guitar/drums/etc. and it's the way they use their voice to compliment the music that makes the song. This is the main reason I do not like rap. They just rhyme like a third grade class to some cool ass beats more often than not they didn't compose. If I wanted to hear something to 'move' me I would go read a poem or read scripts from some prophecies somewhere, but I don't. Alas, I do like them musically, they've always had appealing music to me.

ssssnake

Established Member
I don't think they are a "Christian" band, although some of the members may be Christian. Definitely political. Like their music, I've seen them in concert, but I'm not a big, big fan.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Are yeah Christians? Yes. Does there music have some Christian qualities? Yes. Should they be considered a Christian group? Not really.....I mean, we aren't talk DC Talk (only group I could think of)

And...they are my favorite bad...U2 that is :)

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
I always like to offset an hour of christian music with 2 hours of Marilyn Manson. Helps balance reailty out just a tad.
But yes I would agree with the politcal view of their group.
Their first albums all focused around poltical messages over in irland. Achtung baby to me was just a great song to song album focusing on complete an utter self depression. After listneing to that CD straight threw everything makes you cry, Kittens, birds.. Chrysler vehicles........

Last edited:

ssssnake

Established Member
The only thing that made me mad was when they put out the song "Bullet the Blue Sky." The song critiques our country for our military strength and what we do. His own country has fought for over 50 years and has NEVER solved their problem. But unlike us they fight like terrorists - killing innocents with bombs. Get out of my face Bono.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by ssssnake
Get out of my face Bono.

Mary, I agree!:thumbsup: Musicians should play the damn music and quit using their positions to flap their lips about some cause that they think needs to be aired out.

Natalie Maines (of the Dixie Chicks) is another perfect example!

Barbara Streisand!!! I don't even want to go there!!!:bash: :burn: :xpl:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
No....I wouldn't consider them a Christian band....I like when Bono says "What you don't have you don't need it now" in beautiful day....I think that's so true....I saw them back in 01 in the elevation tour when they played here in the Staples Center....THEY PLAY AWSOME!:rockon:....hehehe...bye

Users who are viewing this thread