Help! What is best camera?

Adam03GT

Established Member
I know this section is for pictures and videos of cars but i guess this is semi related.

I decided that for christmas i want a nicer camera instead of a point and shoot. I dont need anything REALLY serious but i would like an SLR.

Anyone have any recommendations? I know NOTHING about cameras or even what SLR stands for :shrug:.

Has anyone tried the new cheaper Coolpix camera from Nikon? I guess its kinda in between a point and shoot and an SLR but that is probably more my price....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Adam03GT

Established Member
Sorry, the exact model i am looking a is the P90. Im actualy reading a lot of bad reviews...

Give me suggestions! Is it possible to get a good camera, possibly an SLR for <$500?

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Nikon D3000 is 499 at best buy. Its the new entry level camera from Nikon. (basically is replacing the D40 and D60 I think)

I'm picking one up this weekend

bone stock

Established Member
I have the Nikon D40 and it's a great starter DSLR. Pick up a body off of eBay and find a 18-200mm lens and you will be set.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you've never used a DSLR camera before, ask yourself why you want one before you lay down your money. There are some great point-and-shoots out there that rival entry level DSLRs. Be aware that DSLRs are bulky. Point-and-shoots are small and can fit in your pocket. DSLRs accept lenses (some P&Ss do, too) but they're expensive if you're looking for optimum photo quality, especially in low light. I was where you are. I had a good point-and-shoot and just had to have a DSLR. So I bought a Canon D40. Great camera but it was bulky and I felt like a photographer carrying it everywhere. LOL! Also because I was not a trained SLR user I only used the program settings so I never got exception photos. Since I didn't like the bulk and didn't want to invest time in learning the features, I went back to a point-and-shoot. For the camera buff who wants a DSLR for what it can do and either knows how to use it or will learn, it's the way to go. If you're an occasional camera user I'd recommend sticking with a high end point-and-shoot. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread